Preview - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Hands On - Uncharted 2 multiplayer
Posted on June 15, 2009 by Nick, Nikhil

Nick's take:

Multiplayer is quickly becoming a staple of the gaming industry, to the point where even games that would ordinarily be single player have begun including your standard fare multiplayer romps. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves is the latest game to follow this trend, along side games like Metal Gear Solid 4 and Bioshock 2. Whether you're a diehard naysayer or an evangelical promoter of the inclusion of multiplayer to Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, it's here and it's here to stay. So does the train deliver home or do its biscuit wheels derail into a soupy, gravy mess? If the recent beta is in any way indicative of the final product, fans should be in for a treat.

The multiplayer beta features two different modes of play - a competitive deathmatch and plunder mode, and a co-operative mode that sees up to 3 players revisiting slightly retooled scenarios from the single player campaign. The competitive mode comes with two separate levels, an urban plaza and an impoverished village. Deathmatch is your standard fare 5 versus 5. The plunder mode is essentially a rendition of capture the flag, with a golden statue as the prize in lieu of a flag.

Mechanically, the original Uncharted was very solid, so it's no big surprise that the core of the multiplayer mode performs admirably. Uncharted 2 features a familiar stop-and-pop combat system, with solid feeling weapons and ample amounts of cover, nooks and crannies to get the edge on your opponents. If Naughty Dog had simply slapped together a multiplayer mode that featured just that, the worst that could be said about it was that it was a tad uninspired. What sets Uncharted 2 apart from others, though, is the inclusion of the adrenaline pumping platforming that made the original Uncharted so memorable. Uncharted 2 will have players jumping great gaps and climbing to vertigo inducing heights, allowing them to get better vantage points on the enemy to spring that sneak attack or provide cover for a teammate. It's something that few other shooters have tried, and sets it apart from other similar titles, namely Gear of War 2. There are a few nuances to the competitive mode, which will hopefully be fixed. Some weapon balancing could benefit the game - grenades blow up entirely too quickly. Melee attacks could be toned down a bit, their range and power seems a bit overwhelming, and the stealth kill is a gamble at this point - it seems like half the time when I attack players from behind, I would do the standard melee swing instead of the instant kill neck snap. Also, climbing speed could also be increased, given the emphasis that's placed on platforming.

Likewise, the co-op is also mechanically solid. Levels from the single player campaign have been retooled, forcing players to work together in order to complete the levels. For example, in the Nepal War Zone featured in the beta, the campaign version has Nate jumping on a dresser to reach higher ground. In the co-op level, the dresser is gone, obligating another player to hoist him up. Unlike the competitive mode, however, the co-op mode is rather generic. In the Nepal War Zone level, there is very little adventuring or platforming. Rather, players are simply shuffled from one area to the next, forced to defeat any adversaries before moving onwards. It isn't bad, per say, but there isn't anything that makes it stand out from other online co-op games, like Resident Evil 5.

Naughty Dog looks like it's well on the way to creating a serviceable multiplayer to their blossoming franchise. At the worst, the multiplayer is simply lacking of any characteristics that define the franchise. The multiplayer is text book stuff, and will be adequate enough to please fans of the franchise. There is no doubt, however, that multiplayer, at least at this point, is definitely the desert. The single player campaign will remain the meat and potatoes of this package, and as far as I'm concerned, thats exactly how it should be.

jaybeeate says:
been trying to get one of these codes for ages, hopefully i'd be lucky enough to finally get one from you guys!!!!
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 16:49:22
Tcbys says:
I been trying to get a Code like Forever. I really want to play this game loved the first game.
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 16:56:32
gramkracka22 says:
hey be ur best friend for a code..almost bought infamous for this code purely on its own, probably wouldnt have played it too = / well all i can say is please and thank you =D
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 16:57:13
ShockWave says:
My friend was lucky enough to receive one of these keys from Sony. We tried it out but i was, unfortunately, disappointed. I didn't get that much time to work out the kinks in my playing but I found that the game style weighed heavily certain types of action. What I mean is that your usual first/third person shooter tactics might not work in Uncharted. So for me this game will take some getting used to. The concept was great, and I'm happy that Naughty Dog decided to incorporate multiplayer gameplay, but it will need some work. Hey, this is only the BETA right? Happy Fraggin'
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 16:58:10
darkrazgriz says:
love the first game.. can't wait to play uncharted 2 and the mulitplayer when it comes out...
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 16:58:53
zadori says:
OMG I have tried to get a a code for this game been ages.... never got one though!!!! So I hope I get one this time to go kick some butt as drake!
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 16:59:11
fords says:
I'd love to take one of those codes off of your hands guys. :P What can I say..Uncharted : Drake's Fortune was one of the main reasons why I feel in love with my PS3. The graphics were gorgeous, the gameplay was awesome and the characters were easy to relate to. This one is shaping up to be even better than the first if the footage is anything to go by. I'd love to give it a go, but if not, I know it will be great anyway. Thanks. :D
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 17:00:23
xxmoe86xx says:
Can't wait for this game to release, saw every video trailer and now need the code to play with my friends who already have uncharted 2 beta
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 17:00:37
rev01 says:
Hope I can get a beta code! been going crazy about this game since I saw it at E3!!
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 17:02:10
emma says:
I hope you still have some codes. :) Uncharted 2 looks is shaping up to be my GOTY, but I'm worried about the MP feeling 'tacked on'. I'd like to try it out to help convince me that it isn't, and that it's great in its' own right. I'd also like the Beta to show that girls can kick*****at games too! hehe Thnx. Em. x
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 17:05:34
greyham says:
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 17:15:57
nfesta123 says:
I'm quite excited that Naughty Dog has decided to include multiplayer in Uncharted 2. I really enjoyed Uncharted Drakes Fortune but felt it lacked replay value. The trophy's and extras were tempting but the game began to get tiresome sometime during my 4th play through. The now addition of multplayer both competitive and cooperative looks and from what i hear is very enjoyable. I would be very happy if i received a code and could enjoy the beta. Thank you in advance!
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 17:21:30
Wordstar1981 says:
Im following u guys on twitter for a while... im excited to see a new ps3 site come up... Uncharted 2 has the best graphics yet out on any console... id love to play the beta. Hit me up with a key :-)
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 17:25:02
FrankGarrett says:
I was planning on buying uncharted 2 before hearing it had multiplayer. Now that is just icing on the cake. Its a day one buy for me for sure.
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 17:29:58
horizons says:
I lived the 1st uncharted, and trying since days to get a working account on the twitter pages ... but second after posting they are used ... this is madness !
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 17:38:16
Tcbys says:
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 17:50:38
brfc1986 says:
I loved uncharted so am looking forward to uncharted 2 and from the videos ive seen at e3 this looks amazing. hopefully i will get a code.
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 18:04:09
sofresh200 says:
Uncharted is basically Indiana Jones x100 for me. The multiplayer sound really cool, I just hope its not kinda tacked on, also there better be a lot of maps.
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 18:09:11
mar611 says:
I've been trying to get this code for a while also. oh man I'm missing out on the greatness.
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 19:30:04
PS3T4L says:
This game is beautiful the graphics on the first and the second one looks better.The multiplayer looks real fun I really want to try it, but Im going to have to want.Also the story for the first one amazing the best adventure game ever Naughty Ndo has real good games like Jak and Daxter but this has to be the best
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 19:31:33
unwinner says:
I really enjoyed the game mechanics of the first and if they are present in the multiplayer i expect them to be a fantastic new experience and to be 'forced' to work together make me think of another great team game, hint: zombies and groups of four. i have seen the eye candy and i cant wait to play on the snowy mountain. also cant wait to play if i get the code, been trying a while
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 20:20:35
giblet75 says:
Anyone watch the demo during the Sony keynote at E3 and go...oh man, that is so cool? Just watching Uncharted 2 in motion is pretty amazing - I haven't been as fired up watching a demo for a while. I like the animation and the interaction with the environment in particular, and I can't fault them for going the linear story-telling route again - some people were describing that as a negative. I am also very interested in the vertical plus horizontal gameplay, especially within co-op or multi-player - it will be interesting to see how that works. Seemed like chaos in Resistance 2 multiplayer - but that was a larger number of players.
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 20:55:45
gramkracka22 says:
holy **** i actually ****ing got a key..seriously who's dick do i get to suck who gave me this key because i cant stop grinning..ive speant basically the entire day trying to get a key off the joystiq twitter page and i had no luck with that and was almost about to have a nervous break down.. OMFG IM SOOO HAPPY.. (i will try to delete the 20 like repeat posts tomorrow from when i refreshed this, dont ask me how it worked)
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 22:14:34
jaybeeate says:
YAAY!!!!! GOT ONE!!!!! been trying all day,impossible to get one off joystiq THANKS SO MUCH DOWNLOADING NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 22:34:46
ck818 says:
Just returned inFAMOUS to Blockbuster was really a good game I beat it on hard on infamous & hero modes; was pretty insane like a well built Assasins Creed with Force Unleashed powers.. If you could get me a code I'd really appreciate it. Had every system since PS1 :)
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 22:49:51
Bustamus says:
Can't wait for this game!
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 22:50:01
ck818 says:
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 22:50:25
Bustamus says:
(Im not sure if my comment went through, sorry) I've been looking to get a code, this game is the reason I bought my ps3! If you guys could hook me up with a code, I'd be SO happy.
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 22:51:41
Hot Potato says:
I heard great things of Beta Keys on this website. I'd greatly appreciate it if I could get one, I've been looking all ever. So far this seems like my best chance. SO BAM HERE I AM!
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 22:59:56
extreme244 says:
I played the first game , like i think, anybody else did, so i think uncharted 2 will also be a great game. looking forwad to play the multiplayer beta :) greetings from germany
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 23:05:50
Drakoulaki says:
WOW! i want a code!!!!!
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 23:56:06
Drakoulaki says:
WOW! i want a code!!!!!
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 23:56:27
Drakoulaki says:
Wow i want a code!!!!!!!
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 23:56:50
tek says:
Ever since finishing the first game, I've been eagerly waiting to get my hands on the second game. Hopefully you could give the code as a fix before the full game comes out. Thanks
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 23:58:39
OwnU4eva says:
Played the beta and it is awesome. Not just spin, its hard to get me to like a game but this going to be awesome.
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 00:30:03
OwnU4eva says:
Forgot to mention, I played the beta at my friends place and when I got some hands on, I was very impressed. Still would like to get into the beta.
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 00:34:39
sofresh200 says:
THANKS GUYS!!!! I've been trying all day to get one from joystiq like the guys above me said. I was really frustrated all day and you guys cheered me up with code!!!
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 01:13:42
ShockWave says:
I was one of the first to post.... must not have been that many codes ... :(
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 01:45:49
LewisEn7 says:
great article! this first uncharted was amazing, it really shocked me how good it was actualy stunning graphics and great gameplay, from what you guys have said this ones going to be just as good if not better, i hope the one player mode is abit longer though, but to the multiplayer, it sounds and looks like a real treat, and im sure they'll deliver on it! like cod but jumping from ledges and climbing signs :P it all sounds good..and maybe they'll offer more maps for download ?.. a beta code would be awesome to :P
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 07:08:20
BeerBro says:
I would like a code please!
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 07:27:48
BeerBro says:
I've been waiting for this game for quite a while now! The way the gameplay really makes me feel like i'm watching a movie and in the game just from the E3 trailer! I would really like to be part of the multiplayer beta experience.
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 07:29:30
bellz says:
i've been looking for ages for uncharted beta codes. i thought my pre-order of infamous was going to include a code, but it didn't :(
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 07:40:17
Auntpearl says:
I would sure like a code for this game. I had my doubts at first about Uncharted having online, but I have to say it looks like it works quite well.
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 07:41:03
DTRdario says:
Im a big fan of naugthy dog and uncharted, loved uncharted 1, and i would love to get into this uncharted 2 beta :)
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 07:44:04
Sameh93 says:
Hey would love a code :D
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 07:44:34
DTRdario says:
im a big fan of naugthy dog and uncharted, i loved uncharted 1, a key to the uncharted 2 beta would be very appreciated :)
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 07:46:12
DonLBJ23 says:
i have been trying for ages to get an uncharted beta code, really want to play it! If you have anymore codes i would love to have one please!
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 07:48:16
Huapsh says:
From what I've seen, the multiplayer surprised me greatly. I thought at first that it was going to be an afterthought. But I guess Naughty Dog proved me wrong and I'm glad they did. Now I'd like to try it myself and see if the gameplay stack up to the videos I saw. :)
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 07:52:39
hestar says:
I'd kill to play the beta and jump up and down and do back flips till I hit a wall if I somehow got in and that's the billy mays guarantee!.
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 08:05:32
next_muffin11 says:
I would LOVE a code, unless you've run out already?
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 08:35:40
c.radical says:
Loved the first uncharted game. Fantastic graphics, great voice acting and a good story made it one of the definitive titles to have on the ps3. I've been trying to get my hands on a beta code for this beta for ages, even more than the killzone 2 beta! Would love it if you guys gave me a code! Cheers!
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 08:49:20
tuck007 says:
So glad they went with the multiplayer option in Uncharted 2. From what I heard there is a co-op mode as well? Anyway, developers need to include co-op in every game. They need to understand that playing a game with friends is more fun then playing by urself. Case in point...Resident Evil 5. That co-op game play was great!
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 09:10:42
Fusawusa9799 says:
I really hope I'm not to late to win a code I would really like one becuase I love Uncharted!! :D
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 09:51:02
azad_champ says:
Would be awesome if I could get into the beta. The E3 demo was sick. I love how the leafs motions were affected by the chopper.
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 10:15:37
anryu says:
Very nice, I'm looking forward to playing coop with my friend. We've been needing a good game that's not an FPS.
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 10:20:17
snalceeyes says:
Man, it would be really cool if I could get a code for this. I've played the first one and really want to play this one. I've heard the multiplayer is really good. This game will be epic with it's storyline and multiplayer. I hope I can get one of those codes because this game is sick..!
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 10:20:26
checheeselover says:
guys i would love a code been lookin everywhere for one nd wud buy infamous but i still dnt hve enough money for it been saving for awhile
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 10:30:31
Mishimoto says:
I loved the first game with all my heart and still today it is probaly my favorite game and i caint wait to play Uncharted 2!!!!
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 10:58:51
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 11:01:32
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 11:06:02
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 11:09:50
jaywhiz says:
Loved the First Uncharted game but I thought that he ran a little funny for me. Hopefully they fixed it on this game. I would love to beta test to see if the new game will be worth my $60. If I can get a code it would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!
Posted on Jun 17, 2009 14:17:58
seenbeen says:
I would really like this code because, am a huge fan of the Uncharted series so far and i'd give your website a real big shout out xx
Posted on Aug 4, 2009 05:05:28
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 22:14:34
jaybeeate says:
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 22:34:46
ck818 says:
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 22:49:51
Bustamus says:
Can't wait for this game!
Posted on Jun 15, 2009 22:50:01
ShockWave says:
I was one of the first to post.... must not have been that many codes ... :(
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 01:45:49
LewisEn7 says:
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 07:08:20
BeerBro says:
I would like a code please!
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 07:27:48
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 07:48:16
Huapsh says:
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 07:52:39
hestar says:
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 08:05:32
next_muffin11 says:
I would LOVE a code, unless you've run out already?
Posted on Jun 16, 2009 08:35:40