Feature - Resistance 2

Does Insomniac Get the Shaft From Sony?
Posted on October 17, 2009 by Dustin S.

Owning a PS3 you probably already know about the absolutely amazing games it has had so far. Uncharted, Resistance, Killzone 2, or some other game from the very long list. There is something there for everyone and every single game is a leap forward for the industry. While this is great, there is one problem PS3 suffers that no other console necessarily has. Great games get shafted in honor of other great games, which could be somewhat a big deal. Remember when Valkyria Chronicles first released? How it sold during the opening weeks? The majority of you probably believe it was this year and it sold well. The truth be had, it released last holiday season and sold terribly until this year. Reason being, the other big name games over shadowed it, and it’s not the only game to suffer from this.

I’m not going to go in depth and tell you all the games that are under rated or deserve more credit, that’s another feature for another day. Instead I’m going to talk about one company that seems to have the biggest issue with it, Insomniac. Insomniac, as many of you already know, is one of (if not the best) developers for the PlayStation name. With hit titles like Ratchet and Clank and Resistance saving the day early on in the PS3's life cycle, Insomniac continues to churn out AAA games on a yearly basis. However, why is it that they always get the short end of the stick from Sony and how is this becoming a problem?

If you look at the history of Insomniac games and the PS3, you'll soon realize that Sony never stood and held hands with them. Instead other games stole their spotlight and ran with the wind of Sony marketing. Look at the most recent example, Uncharted 2 taking over Ratchet and Clank. While both will be absolutely amazing games, when was the last time you heard Sony speak of Ratchet? Why wasn’t Insomniac featured at events like Naughty Dog, and why were they left fending for themselves at several shows? People like me were much more interested in their product, but it never came through. If I’m not mistaken, Insomniac was even cut from the E3 presentation at the last minute while Uncharted 2 was obviously a highlight.

Even further examples include all three of their other retail releases on the PS3. Example, Resistance Fall of Man, Insomniac announced it well before the PS3 was ever released. Instead it was titled I8 and had several pre-launch trailers and news that many people ignored because of the fascination with the pre-rendered Killzone 2 trailers and Metal Gear Solid 4 news. RFOM didn’t pick up steam until the launch day games were all delayed and moved, leaving Insomniac to be the only ones releasing a top quality game on time.  It took Sony to state all these games are pushed back, to get people to turn and look at Resistance. It then went on to become the best selling game on PS3 for years.

Thorstein says:
I'm not feeling it. I am quite aware of all the Insomniac stuff via Sony. In fact, what set the system apart was Resistance Fall of Man. It was hardly ignored.
Posted on Oct 18, 2009 06:23:00
Ivan_PSP says:
I just registered to write this. Sony owns all of Insomniac Games IP Ratchet & Clank series and Resistance series. Also Sony wants to buy them but they won't sell the company. I didn't notice that they were being left out some how. I own Resistance 1 & 2 and some PS2 Ratchet and Clank like Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal. I read EVERY SINGLE THING YOU WROTE LoL. home.earthlink.net/~ivan-playstation/ My PSN ID: Ivan-
Posted on Oct 18, 2009 07:23:17
XRAVE says:
i love insomniac i hope they continue to be ps exclusive :)
Posted on Oct 18, 2009 08:09:06
ryusigma says:
I always buy games insomniac
Posted on Oct 18, 2009 16:58:42
ryusigma says:
I always buy games insomniac
Posted on Oct 18, 2009 16:58:42
XRAVE says:
i love insomniac i hope they continue to be ps exclusive :)
Posted on Oct 18, 2009 08:09:06
Ivan_PSP says:
Posted on Oct 18, 2009 07:23:17
Thorstein says:
Posted on Oct 18, 2009 06:23:00
Thorstein says:
Posted on Oct 18, 2009 06:23:00
Ivan_PSP says:
Posted on Oct 18, 2009 07:23:17
XRAVE says:
i love insomniac i hope they continue to be ps exclusive :)
Posted on Oct 18, 2009 08:09:06

Resistance 2 - Gameplay # 1 Resistance 2 - Gameplay # 1
Posted November 22, 2008
Category: Gameplay
Resistance 2 - European TV ad Resistance 2 - European TV ad
Posted November 22, 2008
Category: TV Ads
PAX 08: Resistance 2 Gameplay - No Audio PAX 08: Resistance 2 Gameplay - ...
Posted September 1, 2008