PDA

View Full Version : need some advice

m0tl3sl4y3r
10-06-2011, 12:34 AM
okay, lately I've been thinking about applying for my masters degree after I'm done my bachelors degree, but the thing is, I dunno if it's worth it.
does anyone know if having a masters degree will actually help you get a better job/help you advance in the workplace faster?

the things is, I'll already be more qualified than a lot of other people in the field that I want to work in, since to be in police work, most people get a college diploma (the equivalent to an associates degree in the US), I'll have a bachelors degree and I've heard mixed things about masters in criminology.

I've heard that getting a masters i criminology is pretty useless, but I've also heard that it can help you advance faster.
I suppose I should ask someone working the police force but i wanna get people's experiences with what they've heard from employers

Shak
10-06-2011, 10:56 AM
I'd say it is worth doing if you struggle to find a job straight away. Most people who do Masters usually do it so that they can continue on and do a PhD, but it would still look good on your resume.

Dustin S.
12-06-2011, 07:45 AM
It really depends on your field of work and area you work in. Like here you could easily just jump right into the field out of college and get going pretty fast. Cops sit on every corner and are always getting new people. I'm sure you will advance further than step one rather fast by having the degree you have too.

The thing is if you want to jump really far ahead immediately you may want to stick with school. You will still need to start off a bit small just to learn more and get experience, but you will be guaranteed that role faster.

As for me I'm just getting different degrees. I have a Communications degree, I'm currently in film getting a screenwriting degree, and I'm trying to get into another college to get a Computer science degree next to it.

To help with what I'm trying to say. My area (AZ) is very computer heavy, and there is a TON to learn with computers. The more schooling I get the better job I'll get and the faster I'll get a job. The other two degrees don't matter at all. I could go further, but its pretty pointless unless I only have an associates. Otherwise they simply look and see "well he has a communications degree" and thats it. Film making is obviously all about talent so thats all they look at first, then they look at the 4 years of experience I already have.

m0tl3sl4y3r
12-06-2011, 09:34 PM
It really depends on your field of work and area you work in. Like here you could easily just jump right into the field out of college and get going pretty fast. Cops sit on every corner and are always getting new people. I'm sure you will advance further than step one rather fast by having the degree you have too.

The thing is if you want to jump really far ahead immediately you may want to stick with school. You will still need to start off a bit small just to learn more and get experience, but you will be guaranteed that role faster.

the bolded is what I wanna do, that's why I was considering my masters.
plus I hear the provincial police force in Ontario loves guys with degrees, so having a masters might help me