PDA

View Full Version : Mark another Win for Sony

X_Racer1
21-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Everyone remembers the format war between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD and the eventual victory, well know it seems it's the complete victory as Toshiba, the main backer of HD-DVD is finally giving in and making Blu-Ray disc players. According to Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/18/toshiba-launching-bd-18-blu-ray-player-by-years-end/) the BD 18 Toshiba Blu-Ray player should be available by the end of this year somewhere and possibly a Blu-Ray recorder might be on it's way to Japan as well. Now if only they would give us a Blu-Ray recorder and confirmation of when players are coming to North America.

Dustin S.
21-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Isnt blu-ray recorders already made or are you talking about something else? When i was buying my computer they offered blank Blu-ray discs and blu-ray drives. Said it could backup your whole computer to a single disc. Idk if your talking about say tv recording or something though....

X_Racer1
21-07-2009, 03:40 PM
I mean a Blu-Ray recorder for your television, similar to what your VHS player would do back when they were popular, I do know Blu-Ray recorders exist for computers although they aren't very popular these days, even my new laptop isn't coming with a Blu-Ray recorder let alone just a Blu-Ray drive and with taxes and warranty that machine is coming in at just under $2000.

Dustin S.
21-07-2009, 03:43 PM
They are very expensive for computers, was like 300 bucks for the drive then i think 30 dollars for a single blank disc.

X_Racer1
21-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Probably why we won't see widespread adoption for awhile yet, I mean I've seen a single Blu-Ray 25GB one write disc available for $10 now and a single rewriteable 25GB is $21, both at Futureshop so that's Canadian dollars, but considering I can get 10 or more DVD's for $10 we definitely are far away from where Blu-Ray recording at home will become practical, probably why there's been no rush to get a Blu-Ray recorder for your living room out yet.