PDA

View Full Version : Snow Leopard Possibly Releasing by the end of August

X_Racer1
18-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Though I am a Windows user and will stay that way, thought I would throw this out there, as CNET has detailed in a recent article (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10310131-37.html), Apple might be releasing 10.6 or Snow Leopard around August 28th, the major changes include a move to full 64-Bit, dropping of support for the PowerPC architecture, 6GB of space freed up compared to 10.5, the OS is apparently faster, a new version of Quicktime is coming with it and support for Microsoft Exchange Server 2007. Now if you own Leopard already this upgrade will set you pack $29 for a single Mac while a five Mac license will be $49. If you have Tiger though it will cost $169 for a single license or $229 for a 5 pack license.

Nicarlo
18-08-2009, 06:24 PM
yup, really looking forward to this. I think that some users may be eligible for a free upgrade. I think i may be one of them as i purchased my mac about a month ago.

really looking forward to the full 64bit

X_Racer1
18-08-2009, 06:34 PM
64-Bit is a great change no matter what OS you use, just shifted myself to 64-Bit Vista with my new HP and despite all the things saying things don't work, I managed to install everything so far that worked back on 32-Bit systems (not sure about how the switch to 64-Bit goes for Mac's but I imagine almost everything works there as well), just waiting to get my Microsoft Office 2007 Business copy, best part about being a student, you get software 75-80% off retail, that version of Office is costing me less than $200 vs. the $900 it retails for.

Sounds though Apple is doing what Microsoft is doing because part of my computer purchase is a free upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit when it releases in October. Still even if you have to pay $29 it doesn't sound like a waste of money for Mac users.