PS3Center.net Discussion Boards

PS3Center.net Discussion Boards (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/index.php)
-   PlayStation 3 Discussion (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Defects in PS3 (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5928)

bharat4ever 02-07-2009 03:56 PM

Defects in PS3

I've been reading about the various defects in the ps3, ylod, blu ray reader going bad and all, but i don't have a time reference to say that the ps3's producing between these dates are the culprits.

I bought a 80GB version about a month back Does this version also suffer from these defects, or has Sony corrected them after the initial versions.

I also heard that the inaugural 60GB version had a lot of defects, but not much after that.. Any truth in that?

Dustin S. 02-07-2009 04:02 PM

The PS3 defects are not common. People never really go to the internet to say "MY PS3 WORKS GREAT" they just go to complain about a problem and how to fix it.

I own both the original 60GB and I got my parents to buy themselves an 80 from about 2 months ago as well. Both are working completely fine. If you actally take care of the console, dont slam it around, dont continue to unplug it al the time, dont heat it up on purpose, yatta yatta its a durable console.

However it is technology and some things just happen to break for no reason due to a random default. However PS3 is not know for it as they didnt purpusly send it off the assembly line defective to get it out a year early. So if it does break your covered for a year for free, just send it in. If it breaks after that you just spend like 100 bucks to get it fixed, unless you bought a warrenty through the story. Honestly though dont worry, my launch console (the very first one in the store) still works to this day and i use it every day for hours.

trediddy 02-07-2009 06:41 PM

my ps3 works fine except one time i had to take it in because inside where the dish goes was all dusty

X_Racer1 02-07-2009 06:59 PM

Well my 80GB has been great and I have an old model with 4 USB ports and card readers, also back when PS2 compatibility existed and it hasn't let me down yet at over a years age, I do know two people though that had their PS3 break down, but they both owned 40GB consoles that had Blu-Ray drives fail, which seemed to really affect 40GB consoles, Sony has since fixed that problem and many 40GB owners haven't even experienced any problems, it's just slightly more common than problems with other models and those have problem rates of less than 3% out of all consoles sold..

SaintAvi 02-07-2009 10:50 PM

people with problems will always squawk loudest, dont let it fool you

trediddy 02-07-2009 11:45 PM

thats right lol

Dipchit02 03-07-2009 01:50 AM

i have had my PS3 since April 12 2007 and it is the original 60GB version and mine works just fine i mean it freezes every now and then but i think it is more the game than the system cuz it seems to happen more on certain games and then like not at all on other games. only ONE of my friends have had a problem with their PS3 where as EVERYONE of my friends have had a problem with their 360 aka RRoD. basically the PS3 problems are minimal and like Dustin said rarely do people go on forums or where ever to say HEY MY PS3 STILL WORKS GREAT

trediddy 03-07-2009 01:56 AM

when the xbox came out there were all sorts of problems

SaintAvi 03-07-2009 02:01 AM

I wouldnt worry, as long as you take care of it it'll work for years, my ps2 still works
perfect

Dipchit02 03-07-2009 02:09 AM

i prob but alot more wear and tear on my PS3 than you do anyways i mean i bring this thing from my house to a friends house alot because they dont have a PS3 and they want to play itor something like that

trediddy 03-07-2009 02:16 AM

how often you go to your friends house

bharat4ever 03-07-2009 11:55 AM

But one thing.... do we need to take any precations in everyday use? Like not leaving it on in standby a lot, or removing the disc as soon as you finish playing? things like that?

Dipchit02 03-07-2009 01:08 PM

i used to go there at prob a couple times a month or so. but i dont ever take mine out of standby or take the disc out

trediddy 03-07-2009 01:37 PM

that may be a problem idk

Dustin S. 03-07-2009 04:35 PM

Mine has been in standby mode for years. The ONLY time the switch should be used (and it says this in the manuel i believe) is when your unplugging it, to move it or something or say there is a fierce storm outside and a bolt of electricity could charge through you house. Other than that it shouldnt be used everyday, i dont know why people do it. I did with my PS2 and it broke, the guy fixing it told me i should stop.

I also never take out the disc when im done, im way too lazy lol. The only problem i see there is if it does decide to break, well you better hope the disc tray still works or sony will be stealing your game.

trediddy 04-07-2009 12:26 AM

i rarely turn off that back switch
i also sometimes leave my disks in lol

Dipchit02 04-07-2009 05:43 PM

Dustin if you really wanted to still be lazy and not go get your disc you could always eject the disc with the controller before you turn it off and just leave it sticking out of the PS3.

m0tl3sl4y3r 04-07-2009 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trediddy (Post 44594)
when the xbox came out there were all sorts of problems

thats why I didn't buy 1

but anyways back to the PS3, I've had mine for about a 2 months, it works fine except for the occasional freezing, but I would have to say that PS3s are pretty reliable

trediddy 04-07-2009 07:11 PM

yea they are

Dipchit02 04-07-2009 08:27 PM

yea i have one friend that has had a problem with his PS3 but he bought it off Ebay. and even then i just think he screw something up with it but he lives like 5 hours away so i cant really just drive there and help him out. but everyone that i know has had their 360 red ring at least once. and i HATE it when people say but the RRoD problem is fixed now i say oh yeah how do you know that? i still hear of it happening and the new ones you wont know for like 2 years yet