PS3Center.net Discussion Boards

PS3Center.net Discussion Boards (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/index.php)
-   Microsoft Consoles (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   worth buying a 360 HD DVD? (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3385)

heat2 18-06-2008 12:55 AM

worth buying a 360 HD DVD?

yeah i know, the format war is over BLUE-RAY overall is the best. since the format war ended and HD DVD lost the HD DVD playes for the 360 where discontinued and have gone down in price. is it still woth buying? drop your two cents guys. i really want some opinions to see if its worth buying one even tho they arent making anymore HD DVD movies....

Tony732 18-06-2008 11:20 PM

No it's not worth it

I understand it being at a low price but if you have a PS3 Theres no need to get a HD DVD Player for a 360 you got Blu-Ray plus even if you do get it at a good price its big and clunky plus theres no more movies being made for it so my advice is don't bother you can use the money for something better.

heat2 19-06-2008 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony732 (Post 32814)
I understand it being at a low price but if you have a PS3 Theres no need to get a HD DVD Player for a 360 you got Blu-Ray plus even if you do get it at a good price its big and clunky plus theres no more movies being made for it so my advice is don't bother you can use the money for something better.

lol that makes sence wtf am i thinking

Nikhil 17-07-2008 12:53 AM

Not really, most of the HDDVD movies will be re-released in Blu-ray, so you won't miss much content if you don't have an HDDVD drive.

MattZani 28-07-2008 05:12 PM

Well, there is real Cheap HD DVD's, but the fact you have to use a 360... Look into a cheap HD DVD Player to replace a normal DVD Player.

TonySoprano 02-09-2008 06:06 PM

You know, I'm sure people probably thought the same kind of thing when Betamax players lost the video war in the '80s and were super-cheap as stores tried to get rid of them... but now the people who thought they were getting a great deal are just stuck with an ancient player and their last remaining copy of "Cocoon". :P

Save your $$$ - the short savings now isn't worth the annoyance over the long-term.

Khamakhazee 10-11-2008 10:32 AM

HD DVD is dead

HD DVD is dead but you can still buy movies on e-bay for less than $15 and a pretty decent selection. I bought the HD DVD add-on awhile ago for $50 and it came with King Kong, remote and another DVD player to use. It's actually a pretty good player and upscales through HDMI so that is what I use to watch non blu ray movies to not wear out my PS3 and the 360s main player.

EIN 10-11-2008 06:27 PM

I'm confused as to why you'd buy a dead player to a dead format. They won't be making any more movies for HDDVD, so why waste money in buying the player? It's not like Blu-ray movies are prohibitively expensive nowadays either. For the money spent on a HDDVD player, you could just get more Blu-ray movies!

Reno 10-11-2008 09:52 PM

With the holiday season coming up everyone is bringing down the prices on their bluray players which will hopefully help put some more bluray customers out there which in the end result will decrease the price of bluray with alot more people buying the bluray disks instead of DVD we will def see a big sales hike on the bluray players though but your best bet is to just stay with bluray and use your ps3 since it has the compatibility lol.

Khamakhazee 12-11-2008 06:32 PM

Well it's not like the movies I bought are now unplayable. For $50 I got a remote that can be used for watching HD DVD and DVD movies which is preferable over the controller, King Kong which will cost blu ray owners at least $25 when it comes and another DVD player. So really, why not? I wanted to buy Twighlight Zone the movie but it's $25 on blu ray, I got it on HD DVD for $15 so I already save my $50 and then some when you add up the other HD DVD movies I bought that are roughly $5-10 less than they are now on blu ray. The picture quality is the exact same and the audio benefits don't really matter too much since my stereo won't decode dts lossless.

Reno 12-11-2008 07:55 PM

you might have saved money in the long run but your gonna have to drop it or keep just a few titles that they have out because no more movies are coming out on HD-DVD and the bluray prices will drop its all with patience.

Khamakhazee 12-11-2008 08:04 PM

i know but the movies i have i can watch over and over again and they still look great and i can watch them now for cheaper. 50 dollars isnt a big investment considering i got king kong with it too and the other reasons i mentioned. i am buying bluray movies now though but i still use the hd dvd drive to play dvds so that its less wear on my playstation3 and xbox360

Kaiboy12 13-11-2008 03:36 PM

As some other people said above, there is no need to buy a HD DVD drive even if its cheap because you have Blu-ray, and you should use that. No need to waste the money.

hotfiyah 20-11-2008 09:01 PM

This is why I don't like microsoft's gaming systems. You always have to purchase another thing. Although that is true for every system I think microsoft has done this more.

lloyd 21-11-2008 11:30 PM

yeah, but at least with the PS3 you can get WI-FI, a HDD, and Blu-Ray. that saves a few hundred right there

Cueil 25-01-2009 05:31 AM

here is an idea... get the hd-dvd addon and buy all those movies for pennies on the dollar what you would pay for them on BR... there you have HD movies that you want, but you payed like 40 bucks for 10 of them on Ebay.

Cueil 25-01-2009 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lloyd (Post 34394)
yeah, but at least with the PS3 you can get WI-FI, a HDD, and Blu-Ray. that saves a few hundred right there

PS3 wifi sucks anyway so why not get a bridge running N instead of that clunky old G.. even the 360 adapter runs A and that's tons faster than G. My G router stumbles with HD video to my 360 and it only 10 feet away. Heck almost every router can be used as a bridge so you could run all your systems as fast as you could over UTP.