PS3Center.net Discussion Boards

PS3Center.net Discussion Boards (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   why would you wanna block routers? (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9274)

m0tl3sl4y3r 30-09-2010 02:10 PM

why would you wanna block routers?

okay, I have heard rumours around my residence for school that my school's IT support has been planning to try and block the use of wireless routers in rez and people are going on about how wireless routers slow down the internet.
but I have found it's the internet in rez and not the routers.
can someone tell me why someone would wanna block wireless routers?

Dustin S. 30-09-2010 05:16 PM

Rez is residential right?

Basically they block them so only certain areas or people can use them, or direct the signal so its better focused in one area not the other. This makes it so less people are on a specific router, thus the bandwith is high per person and goes faster. If you have crap loads of people on a router its going to go slower.

IF you think a router is making the internet slow thats just stupid. Router is nothing more than directing a signal to several computers through ethernet or wireless. It has no effect on how slow the internet is, the amoung of people using it does.

Unless they advertised free internet, then thats why they are blocking it in residential. However you are right, if internet is slow, routers will be even slower.

m0tl3sl4y3r 30-09-2010 11:09 PM

rez is for school residence.
lol it wasn't me who thought that routers slow down the entire internet.....it was some students on the residence's facebook page, that's what I've been saying all along....the residence has way too many people on the same server, there's like 5 floors and who knows how many rooms in here...all on the same server.
I think they've advertised the internet here as "free"...I think they block routers though because of something to do with the IP address or something like that

EDIT: can you tell that people are using skype just by monitoring their internet activities...I was reading that post on the residence facebook group and somehow IT support was able to figure out that people were using skype.
I know that you can tell if people are using routers due to the IP address

Dustin S. 30-09-2010 11:46 PM

Yeah its possible, its about reading the IP and things used. You can even see people playing games online, PS3's etc too. The only thing is if they were not allowed to be on Skype, a very easy setting on the routers will block Skype from being accessed.

I know the routers at my school have been crappin out too cus so many people have been on them. For a day they blocked Facebook and all the students got outraged so that didnt last long.

m0tl3sl4y3r 01-10-2010 12:31 AM

yeah...they blocked starcraft 2 in rez...a good amount of people are ****ed..including myself, the thing is, you can play starcraft 2 at the school...but not in rez, its really strange why they'd do that, you think it wold be the other way around because they want you to pay attention in class

X_Racer1 01-10-2010 03:45 PM

Well if your residence is anything like mine was, rez students can bring down the entire school network so if all the rez students can play online games, they drag down the entire network (hence why they block access). On the other hand if that's the case it's equally as stupid to allow it on campus but maybe they don't experience the same issues on campus and therefore don't bother.

Also they might be blocking routers because if you get enough of them running in the same area, there's only so much wireless frequency to go around and eventually you do run into slower speeds since you can't have 15 routers on the same wireless frequency without issues. Same issue (but to a much lesser degree) happens in my apartment complex (11 floors with several units per floor is a lot of routers to share frequencies).

Well that and if you got some braindead idiots hooking up routers without encryption or using WEP, any half-competent person can leech off the residence Internet with a computer without having to plug in a single wire. You wouldn't even need to go to the college to take advantage of the Internet since an unsecured or WEP secured network wouldn't need a college network account to gain Internet access.

I mean the best thing you can do if your residence allows it (and if I remember correctly, the Algonquin residence is run by the same people as at your university) is say screw it to rez and get external Internet access. My roommate went through Rogers and even though it goes over the same wiring (all that changed was he had a modem installed) he experienced no throttling, no blocks, nothing, it only cost him $30-40 a month and if you can share the access with your roommates and split the cost, it works out to even less.

m0tl3sl4y3r 01-10-2010 05:54 PM

I think the too many routers in one area is the issue...I can pick up a lot of signals in my room and I think that there might be 2 separate networks, the school's network and the residence's network. I was thinking about getting my own internet but the only game they block is Starcraft 2 so its not really worth it for me if I can just go into the school to use their internet for free

Dustin S. 01-10-2010 06:10 PM

At least you have a choice to though. Here its competition between two ISP's. One is Cox and its cable, can currently run 20MBPS and is getting faster. The other, Qwest, has horrible service and its DSL with the fastest connection pushing 10 MBPS.

So you can guess where people started going. However Qwest played a cheat card and start zoning areas. So they would go to new home areas, HOA areas, business etc and say "here is money, only offer our service and not Cox" So all the people in that area HAVE to use Qwest if they want the service. Well my school got zoned.....so yeah if anyone in the school wants to buy internet, they have to get Qwest and ive heard it was terrible.

m0tl3sl4y3r 01-10-2010 06:50 PM

that sucks that they only offer one servoce in an area, I know how you mean about slow connections due to there being so many people on the same server