PS3Center.net Discussion Boards

PS3Center.net Discussion Boards (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/index.php)
-   PlayStation 3 Games (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   The Last Guardian: Pushing the Very Limits of the PS3 (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9913)

X_Racer1 22-03-2011 02:00 PM

The Last Guardian: Pushing the Very Limits of the PS3

Yes we've heard it all before but now Team ICO is claiming that The Last Guardian will indeed push the PS3 to it's limits.

More specifically in a recent interview when asked about 3D support, Fumito Ueda replied:

“The game will support 3D but it depends on how much the PS3 has left.”

Followed up by:

“…in terms of machine power, I have to say we are quite at the very limit.”

Definitely nice to hear from Team ICO and considering what they were able to achieve back on the PS2, I have no doubts they will create something truly incredible with the power of the PS3.

Dustin S. 24-03-2011 05:57 PM

Theyve only made one game for PS3 right? So there is no way their engine is maximizing the power output and they are being efficient.

Shak 24-03-2011 08:05 PM

This is mainly talking about there own abilities as developers. Naughty Dog and Guerrilla Games both said that they were pushing the console to the limit on there previous games, but they were still able to optimize further on there next games. Same will be the case for Team ICO (if they will even make another PS3 game). I have a feeling that they will start working on next-gen concepts after The Last Guardian, because they've taken way too long to release this game.

Dustin S. 25-03-2011 04:42 AM

Then again if worse comes to worse, and the Last Guardian bombs who knows what will happen to them. Thats the risk these devs take when they only release one game every few years.

Shak 25-03-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustin S. (Post 61823)
Then again if worse comes to worse, and the Last Guardian bombs who knows what will happen to them. Thats the risk these devs take when they only release one game every few years.

I don't think it will though. People who've played Shadow of the Colossus will definitely want to play this game, and if they release the Ico + SOTC collection soon, that should bring some new gamers into the epicness that is Team ICO games.

Dustin S. 26-03-2011 05:44 AM

I'm not saying it will for sure. Just saying the obvious risk these devs that hardly make games run several risks. Their game could bomb, thus they dont have money to pay everyone that worked on the game for years. They could fall behind other devs tech wise.

Or they can pull a Duke Nukem and never actually finish the game, go bankrupt, and sell the franchise to another company. lol

glen421 26-03-2011 10:01 AM

I didn't play SoC or Ico on PS2 and I'm dying to play it re-mastered in HD for PS3. I one time I was even thinking of buying Ico on PS2 to play on my PS3 but it's like almost $200.

I think Dustin does have a point. If you look at GT5 and it's launch reception it didn't do very well. I think Poly will diffenently have to turn GT6 pretty quickly. The race genre changed/evolved during the development cycle GT5. People want to see real damage and how that effects performance. Not just pretty shiny cars all the time.

No back to Team Ico. The PS3 is going on 5years old this year in the US and this will be Team Ico's first game on the PS3 while other 1st party devs have cranked out 2 or 3 games. While I'm sure TLG will look great lets hope it doesn't fall short on expectations just like GT5 did. As we know gamers can take things personnally.

Another key here is on Sony not to drastically change the tech as they did from PS2 to PS3. If the NGP is a reflection of how Sony is looking into the future then I don't think devs will have such a steep learning curve as previously stated.

Shak 27-03-2011 11:59 AM

You make some great points glen. I actually played both SOTC and Ico on PS2, but I'm still gonna get the remastered versions. It's one of my most highly anticipated ones, with Jak & Daxter at the top.