PS3Center.net Discussion Boards

PS3Center.net Discussion Boards (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/index.php)
-   Nintendo Consoles (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   So my Grandmother actually bought a Wii... (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3900)

Nick 16-01-2009 03:38 AM

So my Grandmother actually bought a Wii...

I always heard these arguments on console wars forums about how the Wii only sells to grandparents and little kids or whatever. While I didn't doubt that some old folk had gotten a hand on Nintendo's new console, I certainly thought these were isolated cases.

Lo and behold, my own Grandmother actually bought herself a Wii! She picked up The Price Is Right for it as well. Don't know if she's bought any other games, but I imagine she'll pick up the Wii Fit, as well as any fishing games on the system.

While I'm glad to see that she bought a Wii, I find it kind of disturbing because she used to tell me video games were evil back when she used to see me playing Shinobi on Sega Genesis. I also doubt we'll ever be able to talk about good games like Smash Brothers or No More Heroes. Oh well. +1 for Nintendo!

Joshua 18-01-2009 01:55 AM

I think the general consensus among hardcore gamers in the industry is that casual gamers are the scourge of the industry, because they are not graduating to the better games like many had hoped, so instead of concentrating on producing awesome games that serious gamers enjoy, resources are used to flood the market with crap games for casual gamers

I don't know that this trend will last for Nintendo, because casual gamers are just that, casual, so they are bound to be fickle at some point, as opposed to all the loyal fanboys that MS and Sony have. However, I do give credit to Nintendo for having a good nose for the market.

inferno1321 18-01-2009 11:24 AM

Funny you say that, my grandmother actually just bought a Wii for my Uncle with Downsyndrome. He has fun with it just waving his arms around and seeing things happening on the screen. I'm pretty sure he hasn't made it past the first level in any of his games though. lol

lloyd 18-01-2009 10:00 PM

my mom (43?) bought one for herself almost a year ago and my grandma (65?) wants one pretty bad. The Wii truly is a console for all ages.

SaintAvi 19-01-2009 02:24 AM

Well its doing a good job at bringing games to many people who previously wrote them off,
but if its bringing it to them in the form of mass produced faceless titles looking for a quick buck,
I dont think the consumer is better off

I once considered getting a Wii but at $250 it's not worth it when I can name all the games Id
want for it on one hand.

inferno1321 21-01-2009 07:46 PM

Of course all the non gamers who are buying the Wii are the reason why there are so many quick cash in games for it. Because they don't read the reviews they go purely by the box, leading them to some very unfortunate purchases.

m0tl3sl4y3r 10-05-2009 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshua (Post 35269)
I think the general consensus among hardcore gamers in the industry is that casual gamers are the scourge of the industry, because they are not graduating to the better games like many had hoped, so instead of concentrating on producing awesome games that serious gamers enjoy, resources are used to flood the market with crap games for casual gamers

I don't know that this trend will last for Nintendo, because casual gamers are just that, casual, so they are bound to be fickle at some point, as opposed to all the loyal fanboys that MS and Sony have. However, I do give credit to Nintendo for having a good nose for the market.

I agree with you, most people I know who have a Wii just play it casually and don't play it all that much, compared to the amount of time people spend on the other 2 consoles.

Most people I know who play the Wii do play the crap games that not many hardcore gamers would even consider playing.

I agree that more resources are spent on producing crap games for casual gamers