Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 16-02-2010   #1
PCN Addict
PSN ID: glen421
Do people care that the PSN is free?

I know we have all had our gripes about Sony marketing but I wanted to bring up an interesting conversation I had with some co-workers (both are 360 owners) about what you get with the PS3. We all own MW2 (I have it for my PS3) and play online and It came up about LIVE subscription fess. So I mentioned that I get to play for free with my PS3 I don't have a subscription fee. Also one of my co-worker has to bring his router from up stairs to down stairs to get is 360 online and that's a big pain in the butt. I need to mention he doens't want to get the 360 wifi accessory due to cost. So it dawned on me that in this economy I think all gamers have gone somewhat conservative with their cash flow and I would think the PS3 would re-kindle the arguement of WIFI and the PSN is free. Honestly I am quite surprised they haven't. I know they have "It only does everything" slogan but is that too broad of a statement? Should they focus on the features they have that others don't? I mean one co-worker doesn't mind paying for LIVE but the other (not a huge game to begin with) was like: "Glen should I go to gamestop and trade in my 360 to get a PS3". I mean I had him interested in getting a PS3 just on the terms "play for free."

Take a game like MAG or SOCOM which are fully online games wouldn't it suck to have to pay for the game and then pay for a subsription as well. I mean if Sony at the end of a commericial say "play online for free" (you know have Kevin Butler say something more witty) wouldn't you think that would get someones attention and possibly someone to purchase. Or imaging a multiplat game that at the end said "play multiplayer for free only on PS3". I think there is a missed opportunity here that's all I'm saying.

Last edited by glen421; 16-02-2010 at 10:08 AM..
glen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010   #2
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
there is probably a fair amount of people who would care about it being free, I know that's one of the main reasons I got the PS3, no subscription fees (the other being some of my friends had it)
I think it would be a good marketing plan to talk about teh free online on the PS3
Old 16-02-2010   #3
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
Honestly i care about it being free and LIVE is one of the main reasons why i have not bought a 360 yet because i dont wanna pay to play and i dont want it to break (even thought my Ps3 has broken on me)
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010   #4
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
The fact you have to pay for Live is the exact reason I dont own a 360. Thats all I have to say.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010   #5
PCN Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin S. View Post
The fact you have to pay for Live is the exact reason I dont own a 360. Thats all I have to say.
same with me,the high failure rate was an issue but not that important to me, but I didn't wanna have to spend like $300 on a system and then have to spend and extra $60 a year to play it online
Old 16-02-2010   #6
PCN Senior
PSN ID: xEN7xASSASSINx
i like PSN more because.. despite what fanboys say about microsoft being more secure and that it runs better, well it doesnt.. althought sony dont run the servers.. games like MAG with 256 players can be played through the PSN lag free, where as microsoft run the game servers for there games.. and mw2 is just as laggy and has as many issues as it does with the PSN version..

they say its easier to use.. which i disagree with also i mean everything is within menus of menus.. which is pretty much the same, except they have tonnes of huge images everywhere..

they also try to use the 3d avatar thing.. well i'd rather have a little image, if i want a 3d avatar i'll go into home and take it to the next level..

the only thing that in my opinion is actually good is the offline party system and cross game chat.. that is IT, and for me ?32 on top of the console, game, and internet im already paying for does not justify these two services :)

which in term brings it down to the consoles.. yes the ps3 bundles cost more, but your getting blu-ray, the processing power it contains and also now we know it has full 3D compatability.. but then once you add on live to your 360 purchase it closes the gap in prices.. and if you want to be able to play via wireless its even more money probably taking you over the cost of a ps3.. so overall i find PSN, well i wont state 'better' but more convenient and its via a more reliable console.. a great deal compared to the 360 imo

Last edited by xEN7xASSASSINx; 16-02-2010 at 08:02 PM..
xEN7xASSASSINx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010   #7
SuperStaff
Quote:
and if you want to be able to play via wireless its even more money probably taking you over the cost of a ps3..
If you include just one game, the price of getting everything you need will indeed bring you over the PS3 price by 50 to 100 bucks, give or take bargains you find. The problem is people dont want to straight up spend 400 or 500 dollars on a console, so 360 looks cheaper.
Old 16-02-2010   #8
PCN Senior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin S. View Post
If you include just one game, the price of getting everything you need will indeed bring you over the PS3 price by 50 to 100 bucks, give or take bargains you find. The problem is people dont want to straight up spend 400 or 500 dollars on a console, so 360 looks cheaper.
thats a fair point.. they're rip offs! some people are just to blind to realise it haha
Old 16-02-2010   #9
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
My sister fits that bill perfectly, she ended up getting the basic Arcade console for $149.99, then after that had to buy the 60GB starter pack (since if you want to download a demo or even play original XBOX games a hard drive is necessary) which was $109.99 and came with the hard drive, 3 month Live subscription and a headset, now after that she will still need a year's subscription which is $59.99 and batteries for her controller as it runs on standard double A's vs. the rechargeable batteries in DualShock 3 controllers. In the end throw in $9.99 for a large pack of batteries and over the past 4 months my sister will have spent over $300 on the console without any games included and for all that has a console with less storage space, no Wi-Fi (admittedly not the biggest issue for her as the console sits less than 5 feet from the router in my house but it sits there because no Wi-Fi being available) and a recurring need to pay for a Live subscription.

And this was after I specifically went through all of this with her so just imagine what people who don't do their research are like, "Ooh the console is $199, it's cheaper than any other console out there". Yeah then when you bring it home you realize they conned you to get all the dimes they can out of you.
Old 16-02-2010   #10
PCN Master
yeah Microsoft can con people out of stuff like that, by making you pay for all this extra stuff.
Believe it or not, I had someone tell me once that Sony cons you out of the mics because they don't include them with a starting pack like they do with the 360 and that mics on the ps3 are like $55.
I don't mean to sound like a fanboy, but with all the stuff that Microsoft makes you buy, spending $400 on the PS3 was worth not having to buy a separate wireless adapter and for online
Old 16-02-2010   #11
PCN Senior
plus on your paying for a wireless headset, which is of better technology and its better quality! i mean the 360 one does the job, but its cheap..the saying "cheap & nasty" didnt come from no where
Old 17-02-2010   #12
PCN Addict
PSN ID: glen421
If we can all come up with just these little finacial reasons the PS3 is better then why isn't Sony pointing that out to the public. It seems the public goes to their Wal-mart or whatever store and sees the 360 for 200 bucks and says "I'll get that." never even thinking of the future costs. Maybe Sony is just nice. If the shoe was on the other foot we all know Microsoft would be on it like white on rice on a paper plate in a snow storm.

I could just see the commercial now:
Hi I'm 360,
Hi I'm a PS3.
PS3:What's wrong 360?
360:
Well I can't download movies because my owner didn't buy a HDD.
PS3:Oh, Why didn't he?
360:Well we sell at an expensive price, so he passed on it. Also, he didn't pay for a "Gold Live Subscription" which is around $40 US.
PS3: Well he should of picked up a PS3 because it's all enclusive to the $299.00 price.
360: You mean gamers can access movies, download demos, social network, and play multiplayer all for free.
PS3: Yep... Alll for free.
360:Well let's keep that between friends. Ok PS3.
PS3: Sure...whatever you say 360...
glen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010   #13
PCN Senior
lol i think at the end of the day, sony dont actually care about the rivals..(of course they do to a certain extent) but they are big on customer satisfaction, and they know that there product is good.. plus if they made that ad it would be a rip off ha
Old 17-02-2010   #14
SuperStaff
They are just letting it spread by word of mouth and getting sales elsewhere. They could easily attack Microsoft with price and features, but its not like MS wouldn't come and stab them back somehow.
Old 20-02-2010   #15
MOD
PSN ID: sauberbmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by glen421 View Post

Take a game like MAG or SOCOM which are fully online games wouldn't it suck to have to pay for the game and then pay for a subsription as well. I mean if Sony at the end of a commericial say "play online for free" (you know have Kevin Butler say something more witty) wouldn't you think that would get someones attention and possibly someone to purchase. Or imaging a multiplat game that at the end said "play multiplayer for free only on PS3". I think there is a missed opportunity here that's all I'm saying.
Well let me answer your question with another question. who are they targetting? if you start listing all the technical things that the ps3 can do, we all might start druling but what about the family who has no idea about what those are? i htink Sony is doing it to keep it general to target a wider audience then just us or hardcore gamers. By keeping it simple, they then catch the audiences attention more and keep them interested rather than boring them and having them flip the channel. if a customer is really interested, then they can go to the sony site and find out more
Sauberbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010   #16
"The New Guy"
PSN ID: Hunter19XX
I'm not one for online gaming but I like to play online every now and then so I like the fact that I'm not paying for a service that I would rarely use, though I do see myself using it more for the simple fact that it is free.
Hunter19XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010   #17
"The New Guy"
PSN ID: MORBIDZOMB1E
Here we go.
I had a PS2, and liked it, but i had problems once in a while. Nothing big. Just random freezing, and not reading games/movies.
360 came out, and I loved it. Pretty much got turned off of Playstation for about 4 years.
Just this past weekend i traded in all my xbox stuff for a PS3. Mostly because i wanted to try something new, but also for the free online. 60 bucks a year isnt much, but free is better.
After being a HUGE xbox fan for 4 years, I have to say i like the ps3 more...except, so far I cant seem to have 2 profiles signed in at the same time...

Free online? Yeah, its a huge deal. And the online isnt any worse. Its about equal, or maybe better.
MORBIDZOMB1E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010   #18
"The New Guy"
One of the reasons I passed on the 260 was because I didn't want to pay to play. I only play online a few times a month and find it obscene that Microsoft is charging people to use this feature.
nesfan is offline   Reply With Quote