Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 06-03-2010   #1
"The New Guy"
routers

whats the best router for connecting to the internet on games consoles
bigheadboi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #2
Playstation ZEALOT
PSN ID: Cyphers_Lock
Doesn't really matter. Any router with wireless capability will do. My current one is an SMC Networks 802.11 N, but before it was a linksys G.
Old 06-03-2010   #3
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
anything really, I'm just using a cheap D-Link one and it works really fine for my own use
Old 06-03-2010   #4
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
As long as it can forward ports properly, doesn't need rebooting often and is Wireless G, it doesn't matter since both the Wii and PlayStation 3 can't take advantage of anything higher than the Wireless G standard (having a Wireless N router will not offer any speed improvements to these consoles), only the XBOX 360 can through the purchase of a separate adapter that usually costs $80-100 so just buy what's available and test it out, just because some has had good experience with a router doesn't mean it will work well in your situation.

On a personal standpoint though I don't have a router currently but back in my house a D-Link DIR-628 Wireless N router is used to power a XBOX 360, PlayStation 3 (when I'm home) and 3 computers without faults, no one experiences lag either.

Even my previous D-Link WBR-2310 Wireless G Router could handle that pretty well although after 2 years it was starting to need rebooting more often that I wanted, plus one of my computers was newer and supported Wireless N, hence my purchase of the 628. Overall I am more than satisfied with the two of them but again try out what's available, you don't need to try and hunt down a specific "special" model.
Old 07-03-2010   #5
"The New Guy"
thanks is more expensive better
bigheadboi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010   #6
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
More expensive is not ALWAYS better in anything. it really depends on the specs of the router and i would say that usually more expensive is better but NOT ALWAYS
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010   #7
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
When you believe that is the case all the time it's called being blind, just because something has an inflated price tag, does not make it better, examples include Monster cables, Alienware computers and LCD televisions (I'm pointing my finger at Sony because Samsung and other brands offer just as good TV's for less). It's why you should always research a purchase, from multiple sources before buying something (read reviews from different places, run Google searches, etc).

Even in D-Link routers there top of the line gaming routers don't do much more than lesser models, they have a screen on them and fancy product descriptions but aren't worth the cost. Plus you could have the best router in the world but if your internet access doesn't offer the speed to take advantage of it, your equipment is worthless.

I would say just buy something Wireless G or N based, from a major brand, Linksys, D-Link or Netgear and it will be fine, you don't need to go out and buy some crazy a** gaming router or a Wireless N router that runs on dual band that costs a lot more, put that money towards games instead.

EDIT: Nice advice on powerline networking wojo10, to be honest I always forget that technology exists, anyway I found a decent kit available from Amazon.co.uk, so the things are brand new, ship for free within the UK and are from Amazon, one of the most trusted websites for online shopping. The entire thing costs just ?68.06 or around the cost of a decent N router.

Last edited by X_Racer1; 08-03-2010 at 06:30 PM..
X_Racer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010   #8
"The New Guy"
PSN ID: wojo10
I agree with xracer and dipchit, more expensive is not always better. I really don't see a need for these gaming routers that are out from some manufacturers, you are still limited to the maximum speed the gaming system itself will provide through the hardware installed in it.

Just to give you another option at the time I couldn't get a decent wireless signal where my systems are and where my wireless router is so for my network gaming I installed one of the first devices for home networking, it's called a home plug. It looks like a white air freshener that plugs into your electrical outlet in the wall near your console and another one gets plugged into an outlet close to where your internet signal comes in. At the top of the "air freshener" you plug in a network cable to your console and another network cable going from the second home plug goes into my router. This system uses the electrical wiring in your walls to transmit the info.

Since then I've gotten another wireless router and the signal is great with a consistent 4 or 5 bars of signal but when doing connection tests comparing the two ways I always find that I've got between 8-10% better speed going with the old home plug option.

Downsides are they aren't easy to find (got mine on ebay), a system of two home plugs will set you back around the same price as a wireless router and you have to have them plugged directly into the wall, no plugging into a power bar.

Upsides are a better signal with no interference, no settings to configure besides changing your console to a wired setting and ease of setting up, just plug and play.

Just thought I would throw it out there as an option.
wojo10 is offline   Reply With Quote