Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 20-07-2009   #1
1337 Sauce
3rd Call of Duty Map Pack

I just read that Call of Duty: World at War will be receiving a brand new pack in August!

I'm quite excited about it, and, given the success of their previous DLC, I'm certain Activision will ensure that this pack will be just as good as the others.

Apparently there will be three new maps, and a whole new zombie map.

Last edited by samsonite; 20-07-2009 at 03:22 PM..
samsonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009   #2
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
im just afraid how much activision is going to milk CODMW2. The game is going to sell well so without a doubt i expect Activision, the gods nickel and diming, to milk the franchise.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009   #3
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
Another map pack for a substandard Call of Duty game, if they wanted the money, we should have got more than one lousy map pack for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, but most likely we will end up with 4 or 5 when the new game releases since that's seems to be the main focus these days, forget the game itself, we make much more off the constant DLC.
Old 20-07-2009   #4
SuperStaff
I gurentee they announce a map pack for the new COD within a month and a half, and have it out within 2 months. Give that one a month and they will announce a second, cool down to make it seem like they are not milking it, then announce a third and fourth thats "in the works." If the game comes with at LEAST 6 maps then i dont really care, or HALF the single player levels to some extent then fine.
Old 20-07-2009   #5
1337 Sauce
I agree with both of you, in that the developers shouldn't attempt to milk so much money from one game, and, in many cases, DLC negatively impacts the product, which, of course, isn't good for any consumer.

However, it would be very difficult to persuade Activision otherwise - given its sales, they must have made a huge amount of money on the two packs. Moreover, I appreciate DLC a lot when it makes me go back to games I'd previously forgotten, and enjoy them all over again.
Old 20-07-2009   #6
SuperStaff
The COD4 maps were not half bad, i bought them. The thing is, COD4 was a COMPLETE game from the get go, so getting the maps was a bonus. They actually made the maps after the game released. With MW2 i gurentee you they already have map packs in development at the studio at this moment, instead of throwing them in with the rest of the 60 dollar game they will charge you another 5 or 10 to get it. When the year is over you spent over 100 bucks on a single game...
Old 20-07-2009   #7
PCN Senior
PSN ID: jordan123x
Guerilla games is praised here for their support of killzone 2 after it was released. More content = bad? hmm... WaW didn't skimp out on maps in the beginning and I don't think Modern Ware 2 will either.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009   #8
PCN Master
And that's assuming you didn't buy the Prestige edition, then you'll probably spend close to $200 by years end. They sure know how to make some money, amazing how much that merge with Blizzard has really affected them, well that and the success of Guitar Hero.
Old 20-07-2009   #9
1337 Sauce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin S. View Post
The COD4 maps were not half bad, i bought them. The thing is, COD4 was a COMPLETE game from the get go, so getting the maps was a bonus. They actually made the maps after the game released. With MW2 i gurentee you they already have map packs in development at the studio at this moment, instead of throwing them in with the rest of the 60 dollar game they will charge you another 5 or 10 to get it. When the year is over you spent over 100 bucks on a single game...
When you look at it that way it is kind of depressing...

I'm still remaining hopeful that the developers are intelligent enough to work out that they'll lose customers if they keep on going like this.
Old 20-07-2009   #10
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Guerilla games is praised here for their support of killzone 2 after it was released. More content = bad? hmm... WaW didn't skimp out on maps in the beginning and I don't think Modern Ware 2 will either.
I like how they have released a good amount of maps 4 Killzone 2

Quote:
The COD4 maps were pretty decent, even the ones in the original without the DLC, but when they release MW2, they probably will release extra maps for it not too long after just too make extra money
Quote:
I gurentee they announce a map pack for the new COD within a month and a half, and have it out within 2 months. Give that one a month and they will announce a second, cool down to make it seem like they are not milking it, then announce a third and fourth thats "in the works." If the game comes with at LEAST 6 maps then i dont really care, or HALF the single player levels to some extent then fine.
I don't really care how many map packs they release as long as they do what you said and release multiplayer maps equal to at least 1/2 the single player maps
Quote:
im just afraid how much activision is going to milk CODMW2. The game is going to sell well so without a doubt i expect Activision, the gods nickel and diming, to milk the franchise.
they probably will milk it just because they know that people will buy whatever they release. Can't really blame them when the average gamer will be buting it
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Racer1 View Post
Another map pack for a substandard Call of Duty game, if they wanted the money, we should have got more than one lousy map pack for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, but most likely we will end up with 4 or 5 when the new game releases since that's seems to be the main focus these days, forget the game itself, we make much more off the constant DLC.
I would like more MW map packs as well
wow...this is a long post
Old 20-07-2009   #11
PCN Senior
I would just like to state again DLC is a good thing regardless of if it's in development before the game is released. It costs money to make maps and the developers have no obligation to make more for us gamers. As long as I get around 8 off the bat I'm happy. Extra map packs are awesome. I wouldn't expect the game to ship with like 16 maps and no DLC. Who cares if a developer just does it for the money (even though I'm sure they enjoy doing it too). If they finish the map packs before the game is even done they can put more effort into the next game rather than making map packs for their last game.If they make 3-4 map packs I'll be happy and wont feel as if their milking the franchise. More content before their next game eases the wait and plus no ones obligated to buy it. Consumer choice ftw.

/rant

Last edited by Jordan; 20-07-2009 at 07:38 PM..
Old 20-07-2009   #12
SuperStaff
The thing is your paying 60 dollars for the game up front, the least they can do is throw in what they have. Instead they are begining to NOT do it. Resitance and Killzone did DLC right. They made the maps after the original game was stable and ADDED to what the game already was. Insomniac stopped so they can work on Ratchet instead and make that a complete game.

The problem i have is companies like Activision wont do it correctly and will get away with it. If MW2 has 3 or 4 maps at launch and they "announce DLC" within a month i wont buy it, end of story. If i do buy it and it still happens, hello used game sales. Im getting kinda tired of the "games cost too much to make" yet you have two problems in that theory here. 1 EA and several other companies have free DLC everyday. 2 CODMW2 is expected to be the fastest and best selling game in history, you also have 2 higher priced limited editions that will sell well too. No reason for them to NEED "extra" money to pay for development.
Old 20-07-2009   #13
PCN Senior
Quote:
The thing is your paying 60 dollars for the game up front, the least they can do is throw in what they have. Instead they are begining to NOT do it. Resitance and Killzone did DLC right. They made the maps after the original game was stable and ADDED to what the game already was. Insomniac stopped so they can work on Ratchet instead and make that a complete game.

The problem i have is companies like Activision wont do it correctly and will get away with it. If MW2 has 3 or 4 maps at launch and they "announce DLC" within a month i wont buy it, end of story. If i do buy it and it still happens, hello used game sales. Im getting kinda tired of the "games cost too much to make" yet you have two problems in that theory here. 1 EA and several other companies have free DLC everyday. 2 CODMW2 is expected to be the fastest and best selling game in history, you also have 2 higher priced limited editions that will sell well too. No reason for them to NEED "extra" money to pay for development.
Like I said consumer choice ftw. People that want it will buy it and people that don't want it wont buy it. EA is a bad example in my opinion. DLC for Burnout costs more than the game its self on the PSN. I think whether or not they work on the DLC before or after the game is irrelevant. They're just trying to save time and resources while the consumer that wants the map packs win either way. Also like I said asking for an abundance of maps right off the bat is unrealistic.

Last edited by Jordan; 20-07-2009 at 08:19 PM..
Old 20-07-2009   #14
PCN Master
Since when has EA had free DLC, even Burnout stopped with free DLC, Party mode is $10, the new Island is the same, plus there's vehicle packs and more, even Army of Two had DLC you had to pay for. I don't agree with the new trend of DLC though, charging full price for games but cut content and stick it in DLC that you pay for later, that's just playing dirty, similar to the Resident Evil 5 controversy. If that's the case with the new Modern Warfare they won't see a cent of my money on DLC maps.
Old 21-07-2009   #15
1337 Sauce
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Racer1 View Post
Since when has EA had free DLC
I think Skate 2 had a small amount of free DLC, and with Mirror's Edge, they offered a free map, and, recently, they've offered nine new levels for free.

Also, they've confirmed that Fight Night Round 4 will have free DLC this August.

But I still agree - games like Resi 5 showed just how unreasonable developers can be when producing DLC.