Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > General Chat > Off Topic
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 30-09-2009   #1
PCN Addict
PSN ID: glen421
Samsung Plasma TV issue..

Alright I have exhausted my resources on this small issue I am having with my Plasma TV (M/N FPT 5084). It appears that after the TV has been on for about 1 to 2hrs in the dark areas of a scene I get these blue pixel sparkles. You have to be about 3 feet from the screen to notice. I know that sounds anal but I can see them when I walk by the tv and now I know they are there. I especially notice this in gaming (been playing ODST) and always notice this in the Batman AA screen saver when you have the game highlighted but not selected to play. On Monday night I noticed this and started playing around with the picture settings and it fixed itself but last night it came back again. I turned the tv off for about 3-5min and it was cleared but before I went to bed I noticed them again. I have a HD DVR HDMI(Direct TV STB), PS3 HDMI, and 360 component. I notice this on all inputs. I also have all my A/V equipment hooked up to a Monster Power Bar HTS MKIII.

I have had Samsung out 3 times to resolve this issue and it hasn't helped. 1st time they adjusted the Voltage on the power supply I do believe this is the Vset. 2nd time they adjusted it again to it's lowest setting. 3rd time they replaced the power supply board. Before you say "send them out again" I just went out of warranty last week and it doesn't appear that they are willing to come out. I have seen some internet "repairs" adjusting the Vscan settings but this may only be a temporary fix. Has anybody else had this issue? If so how did you resolve it? Or are there any EE's out there that can help?
glen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009   #2
Staff
Seems like stuck pixels from what it sounds like. You can get like a video that flashes colors on screen, which usually fixes the problem. But if it keeps getting stuck pixels, seems like your TV might need replacing soon. It's definitely a TV problem though.
Shak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009   #3
PCN Addict
Update-Since this has been bothering me I finally took matters into my own hands and took the back panel off. I turned every adjustment dial very slowly of course until I found the one that either made it better or worse and I found the Y-RR and Y-FR control ramp resistors. Now they should be adjusted using an oscilliosope as there are precsise readings you are to obtain. Since I don't have a O'scope I just used my eyeballs until the "sparkles" disappeared. They are still there but you have to be close to the screen like 1ft close.

After doing tons of research and speaking with several Electrical Eng's. The issue I am having is common in Plasma Panels or PDP displays. The issie is called "mal-discharge" and it has to really do with gray scale and the inability of the plasma to recreate certain colors of gray when the panel is at certain temperatures. There is an adjustment (like I said before) that is needed as the panel ages. Now the question I have is why isn't Samsung aware of this issue or are they just playing stupid? I e-mailed the repair center twice and have finally gotten a response which they are waiting on Samsung to approve a new entire panel. Hopefully it will be here before Uncharted 2 gets in my hands next week.
Old 07-10-2009   #4
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
so u solved ur own problem then I'm guessing?
Old 08-10-2009   #5
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
They are ignoring it because both Sony and Samsung are trying to dump Plasma TV's all together. Both made the mistake of thinking Plasma is the future, but Samsung abandoned that ship when LCD started getting popular and Plasma TV's started having problems. Sony stuck with it, thinking Samsung was stupid, and ended up losing millions of dollars and closing down several factories because of that mistake.

Picture wise Plasma TV's have the better deal for a while, but they begin to wear down. This is whats happening to your TV. Its just like DLP, everyone thought wow thats the next big thing, then moved on. Plasma to LCD, and now its LED, who knows whats next. (3d?). LCD TV's are still doing just fine though, they are not leaving the market anytime soon.

So in other words Samsung is avoiding you because your tv is Plasma and technicly speaking they are not well equipped to fix it nor do they want to, they much r ather you buy an LCD or LED Tv instead. Samsung is a GREAT company, but you have to somewhat see where they are coming from. Next time you call ask to talk to a supervisor, at first they will be like "umm no" but keep asking and pushing your way up the tree. Sooner or later you will get someone that is capable of doing something other than reading instrucions out of a book.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #6
PCN Addict
Actually Samsung continues to produce plasma tv's.They have the new PN50B860 which is thier top of the line 50". Which I'm hoping they will upgrade me to. Your right Sony no longer makes plasma tv and one big reason is because of the huge costs associated with manufacturing plasma tv's. This mostly has to do with the extra quality control needed with plasma. Also, LG and Panasonic make plasma tv's but most plasma screens are made by Samsung and LG for all manufacturers.

I choose plasma for 2 reasons refresh rate and better contrast ratio. LCD's at the time of my purchase weren't even close to Plasma's pic quality and stil today can't surpase Pioneer's Kuro Elites. I will say this the tech that has been coming to my house told me to hold off on buying a LED tv. Wouldn't say why though.

I have had my tv for over 2yrs now and it has served me well but I do get anal when my electronics don't work right and this has been bugging me. I have a reputation to uphold in my family as the "electronics guru."

We just got a Sony Style store in our mall and I always swing by to check out TV's and they have the XBR9 52" hooked up to a PS3 and it looks beautiful. So I'm thinking if Samsung just fixes (not replace) my tv I may sell it and get a Sony XBR.
Old 08-10-2009   #7
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
Well LED is fairly new tech in televisions (although it's not true LED, all LED's televisions are is LCD's with LED backlighting vs. fluorescent lighting, although my new laptop runs on this technology and it's brilliant) and there is concern that when LED's in an LED backlit TV age it will produce an uneven picture as the LED's won't wear evenly. The future though might be OLED TV's, although that's years off from producing a TV that's at current sizes and at prices people can afford.
Old 08-10-2009   #8
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
I didnt know Samsung still made Plasma. At my local stores the only companies are like LG, Panasonic and a few others. They had only one model of Samsung Plasma, but Samsung is not pushing it at all, i think its there more just to have market share.

I know two people with Plasma TV's. 1 is only a year old and its losing its color, had to have it repaired a couple times now. 2 Is still looking good but its begining to get dark and has a slight burn in from playing a game lol.

My dad got an LED tv and when I saw it I was blown away by how clear it looks. Was a Samsung 50 inch, and I HATE HD that big with LCD, it just looks too real to me and loses the movie effect. This tv still had the movie effect, looked like a theater screen to be honest, then I watched football or baseball on it and wow compared to my LCD. I think X Racer is right, at some point OLED will be the new thing. If anyone buys the new zune you see the quality, how little power it takes, and what not and if they can bring that quality to 50 inch TV's ill be finally buying one.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #9
PCN Addict
Well, got a call from Samsung today and they are willing (if I accept) to upgrade me to a PN50B650 (not the 860 I wanted). I will have to go to a retail store and check it out before I accept though.
Old 12-10-2009   #10
PCN Master
at least u might get a free tv
Old 14-10-2009   #11
PCN Addict
Another update, I received a call today from Samsung exchange and I told them I didn't like the B650 they offered so they have offered a B860 (top of the line 50"). This is what I wanted but I haven't accepted due to me having questions and concerns.
Old 15-10-2009   #12
PCN Master
if it's the one that u wanted then what kind of questions or concerns do u have?
Old 15-10-2009   #13
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
It may be the model he wants, but for all we know it could be refurbished, used, a warranty exchanged model, etc. and that's why they are willing to give him one. Basically, if it's a choice between a new model that's slightly lower in specs or one that's higher in specs but refurbished I would rather have the new one. Not to say I don't recommend getting things refurbished, but that's when there's a financial incentive on your side, if you're not paying for it, then why take refurbished.