Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > Multi-Platform / PC Chat > Multi-Platform / PC Chat
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email
View Poll Results: What's your favorite game genre?
FPS 4 30.77%
Fighting/Hack-and-Slash 1 7.69%
Action 1 7.69%
RPG/JRPG/MMORPG 3 23.08%
Turn based strategy/Real-time Strategy/Grand Strategy 0 0%
Racing 2 15.38%
Adventure 0 0%
GTA clones 0 0%
Visual Novels 1 7.69%
Others 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28-05-2009   #1
Staff
PSN ID: Kireinakiri
What's your favorite game genre?

Just wondering what's everyone's favorite genre

Mine is RPG/JRPG because I like story-orientated games

Last edited by Kiri; 28-05-2009 at 09:38 PM..
Kiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009   #2
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
Used to be a huge fan of FPS games but they milked those out so badly now that its no fun anymore. So i picked Action. Like God of War or Infamous, Resistance is my favorite its technicly action, and of course the god of them all METAL GEAR SOLID!
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009   #3
"The New Guy"
It's a tough choice, but I guess visual novels. Go google it or something if you have no clue what that means.
Cloud668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009   #4
Staff
PSN ID: tonzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
Just wondering what's everyone's favorite genre

Mine is RPG/JRPG because I like story-orientated games
Ugh, finally. I'm not alone. :)
I'm getting tired of the games now that are lacking in story. I love RPGs/JRPGs because they have so much depth. They offer a world to play in, and not just something to shoot at. I love the final fantasy series for this reason, and I love the older games even more. Chrono Trigger, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Grandia, Secret of Mana, Earthbound. Classics because they all knew how to tell a story, and the story was deep and rich.
It makes me sad because I know games aren't like that anymore, and probably wont be ever again. :(
tonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009   #5
SuperStaff
I know of a few writers for video games that are trying to stress tellling stories again. Rihana from Overlord, she also wrote Heavenly Sword, and is one of them. Mirrors Edge had a pretty good story too, the game kinda revolved around it, so i hope people like her get the chance to do more games.
Old 28-05-2009   #6
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
I'm a lover of racing games, nothing beats the sound of burning rubber or revving engines over my sound system. Although I'm also a fan of FPS games, but some of them are really disappointing, ex. Call of Duty: World at War and use really old ideas. The one genre I never got into was RPG games, they just seemed too boring to me and the only one I ever owned came with my PS2 hard drive and was never opened, so I probably don't have good perspective on them but I can't be bothered to buy any, too many other good games to buy.
X_Racer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009   #7
The New Guy =]
PSN ID: Flightbolt
I'm all about the story, and "Games are art" dealy-o so I'm in full support of RPGs and JRPGs. No MMO's.
Antonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009   #8
Staff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonie View Post
I'm all about the story, and "Games are art" dealy-o so I'm in full support of RPGs and JRPGs. No MMO's.
lol, maybe I shouldn't have put them in the same category. But I guess it's too late now (I don't want to edit poll)
Old 29-05-2009   #9
The New Guy =]
PSN ID: Flightbolt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
lol, maybe I shouldn't have put them in the same category. But I guess it's too late now (I don't want to edit poll)
I take that back anyway, Diablo II was AWESOME.
Antonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009   #10
SuperStaff
RPG's are not the only game capable of having stories lol. They are story based but still look at MGS its probably the best story there will ever be and its action. InFamous is story based to and its not RPG. I think there has only been one actual RPG game i fell in love with Jean D Arc, i dont know why but that games story was so intriguing to me. But im just saying, other styles of games have plenty of room to be story based. Its just developers dont want to take that risk right now. If anythin it will be first party developers that do games like that, which is why its not as common. Third parties devs whip up games like nothing and put em out to make money.
Old 29-05-2009   #11
Staff
But MGS4 is not a game, it's a 24 hours long movie that you can watch on youtube (just kidding)
Old 29-05-2009   #12
SuperStaff
No one bashes MGS4 and gets away with it! *Sends lightning bolt into the sky* Mahahaha
Old 29-05-2009   #13
Staff
I'll go grab some chips while waiting for the lightning bolt.

Lay's Ranch chips has lightning tastes
Old 29-05-2009   #14
SuperStaff
The gods of Kojima will rain thunder down upon you! Maybe the new site is about killing you haha I was thinking how awesome it would be if something randomly ran at the screen. Sorry going off topic, go back go back!
Old 29-05-2009   #15
Staff
ya, I think it's because of you that people stopped voting
Old 29-05-2009   #16
Staff
PSN ID: Nikhil
Racing/3rd person shooters.
Nikhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009   #17
Staff
Lol I think what we mean is that, although other games can definitely have a good story, RPGs are rich in them. You aren't just thrust into a situation, you're immersed in a world with not only a few characters, but dozens, sometimes hundreds. Not only that, but in most RPGs (the good ones) there are more things to do than just the regular game. Compare Final Fantasy IX to say.. Metal Gear Solid 2. A good 80 hours of gameplay compared to maybe.. 30 at most.
Both are great games, but one is deeper, not only in gameplay and story, but in the setting and environment as well lol.
Old 29-05-2009   #18
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
honestly, I like strategy games and some first person shooters, like Call of Duty
m0tl3sl4y3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009   #19
SuperStaff
Even still, just cus i like talking about it haha, you could get that same concept with other games. Not Metal Gear per say because that stricly follows a story timeline, but say InFamous (i consider to be Action) is just like an RPG. Game will last hours on end and is pretty deep depending on how you play it. You could play the core story, or you can play all the outside missions that add to the story along the way. It doesn't have 30 characters, but that gets confusing lol. Plus ive never gotten into FF but do the other characters actually develope as you play through the story?

Just saying, RPG could fall in the same direction if it became mainstream too. If RPG becomes the next FPS, we will one day be saying we love FPS because its so rare.
Old 29-05-2009   #20
Staff
Lol the thing is, yes, every character develops, has something major to do with the plot, and usually, although you're mostly controlling one character sprite, there is in fact no main character, as the story usually involves everyone.

Thing is, you're right lol, if RPGs were as common as FPSs then we would want more FPS and less RPG.
well, most people would. I would be in heaven hahaha