Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > Multi-Platform / PC Chat > Multi-Platform / PC Chat
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 28-07-2009   #1
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
Potential Modern Warfare 2 Boycott

Well we all know of some of the video game boycott's, the most recent being Left 4 Dead 2 for the fact it is coming out too soon and DLC for the first game will not be released, or at least that's what the boycott contends, well now Activision has one on their hands. According to Kotaku, Activision is raising the price of Modern Warfare 2 $10 for the PC version for a total price of $60 instead of the usual $50 price tag, Activision's explanation, "the weakness of world currency". Well it appears PC gamers aren't too happy and in a recent poll, 68% of people said they would refuse to buy the game at $60, some even going to the point of piracy. While I'm not a PC gamer, I can relate because recently games have been going up around here, instead of the standard $60 for new release console games, games are now $70 pretty much everywhere, my inFamous copy was a compromise at $65 and came from HMV as they were the only ones selling the game for less than $70. So what's your take, is Activision an evil game company doing it for greed or are they doing it for genuine reasons.
Old 28-07-2009   #2
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
I think the price hike is ridiculous. Activision wouldnt have the balls to do this on any other title, I do hope that consumers put their money where their mouth is.

Activision have already shown they are open minded on high price tags, depending on how
this goes down I see it being a reoccurring thing
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009   #3
PCN Addict
PSN ID: glen421
Let's hold the phone here. I agree a $10 increase is a little outside the normal weak American dollar excuse but there is a point as the global economy is weak and the American dollar is suffering from it. I don't know if there are any finace majors out there on the forum that could explain a little better but the little I know about economics it is only natural as the dollar gets weaker globally then prices will go up.

On a side note this wouldn't have anything to do with the 31% decline in video game sales from the previous year would it.
glen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009   #4
PCN Senior
PSN ID: jordan123x
Financially it makes sense. The amount of people that wont buy COD will be made up for with the extra $10 from the people that will. $10 isn't even that much of an increase in my opinion. Especially for a game that has a ridiculous amount of replay value for me. It's going to be a quality game and paying more for quality isn't so bad. It's the reason I bought a ps3 over the 360 despite the difference in price.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009   #5
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
On the other side though, Activision knows they will make a fortune off this game regardless of it being $50, they would make more than enough to recover the budget and all production costs at that price and everyone else is doing fine charging that price despite the recession so is it really necessary, no, and that's why people are boycotting, if there was a true genuine reason and everyone was doing it then people wouldn't be complaining.
Old 28-07-2009   #6
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
They themselves are calling it the biggest release of 2009, showing they lack no confidence in how it will sell. The hike is just a arrogant grab for more cash, these are the same people who release the same guitar hero game every 2 months.
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009   #7
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Financially it makes sense. The amount of people that wont buy COD will be made up for with the extra $10 from the people that will. $10 isn't even that much of an increase in my opinion. Especially for a game that has a ridiculous amount of replay value for me. It's going to be a quality game and paying more for quality isn't so bad. It's the reason I bought a ps3 over the 360 despite the difference in price.
me two, I don't see it as much of a difference, I'd still be willing to buy it, maybe because I don't really need to buy anything else because I live with my parents, so I can spend money on other stuff