Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 16-07-2009   #1
PCN Addict
PSN ID: glen421
The prototype PS3 shown at 2005 E3.

I was just looking at the PS3 bio on Wiki and noticed that they had a prototype PS3 with 2 HDMI port, 6 USB port, and 3 ethernet ports. Man I would like to get my hands on one of those proto's.

I also remember from doing research on a previous thread that we have discussed in the forums I came across an article (sorry I don't have a link to it) saying the PS3 was visioned to have 2 cell processors. Can you imagine the power if they came out with that and the above mentioned hardware features? (That would practically be 2 of my PS3's put together)

Talk about PLAY B3YOND.... I could see it now "PS3 there is no substitute"...
glen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009   #2
PCN Addict
PSN ID: treDIDDY97
well maybe they will have it next generation

PS3: It only does everything
trediddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009   #3
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
Most likely next generation the Cell will be clocked higher on each processor, similar to what some computer users do with their processors to get more performance out of them or they will figure out how to add more processors on a single processor as having two separate physical processors is less than ideal for performance, let alone costs. The RAM would probably also get an increase. I don't see how two HDMI ports would have been very useful unless you had two HDTV's and three Ethernet ports would have been even less useful as your PlayStation 3 wouldn't be the ideal choice as a router, you would have to leave it on then all the time. The 6 USB ports might have been the only thing worthwhile about the prototype, but should you really have 6 things plugged into your console, since all of them are drawing power away from your PlayStation 3. Even a full set of Rockband instruments is only 4 USB ports.
Old 16-07-2009   #4
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
like tre said that will be the next playstation but i was really looking forward to 7 player football on 2 tvs and stuff that is why the PS3 allows 7 players cuz it was supposed to be on 2 tvs
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009   #5
PCN Addict
ive never thought of the two tvs that would be sweet

Old 16-07-2009   #6
Staff
PSN ID: ExcelBeyond
The worst thing were missing out on that was scrapped from the prototype is the banana controller. Long live the banana!

Last edited by Nick; 16-07-2009 at 05:09 PM..
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009   #7
PCN Addict
dont forget the two other colors of the ps3 silver and white

Old 16-07-2009   #8
PCN Master
OH yeah nick the controller was AWESOME i want one
Old 16-07-2009   #9
PCN Addict
what made them switch

Old 16-07-2009   #10
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
Two HDMI makes it the greatest lan console ever known for people wondering.

They cut it all to save money. You think 600 dollars is expensive, they leave all this in and the launch console is well over 1000. There small little price cuts they have been doing would have only gotten it to like 800 lol. They would be no where in the race.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009   #11
PCN Master
yea i know why they cut it and it makes sense but still you can ONLY image how awesome this system would be if it had all that stuff in it :).

@tre
if you are talking about why they switched the controller that is because of all the bad press it was getting people were just bashing the looks of it and stuff so they said ok well just release the same controller again
Old 16-07-2009   #12
PCN Master
That banana controller definitely got a lot of bad press, so Sony went with the analogy why break what isn't broken and released a revised version of the DualShock for the console. The problem was around the console's release, stupid Immersion Technology managed to win a lucky lawsuit against Sony over their vibration technology, hence why the first PS3 controllers never had vibration, then after Immersion finally figured out it wasn't worth fighting for, they worked with Sony to license the technology, hence why the DualShock 3 came out later, leaving a lot of early owners with controllers and games that would never have vibration. But while the two HDMI ports might have been the only thing actually worthwhile that they dropped from the final console, it made sense to drop it, it added extra costs and not many people would have access to two HDTV's for splitscreen play, I mean plenty of PS3 owners don't even play on HDTV's, myself included.
Old 16-07-2009   #13
PCN Member
PSN ID: Az1zam
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Racer1 View Post
I mean plenty of PS3 owners don't even play on HDTV's, myself included.
Sorry, but just how do you know that? Or are you just assuming? I'd like to see facts, everyone I know who owns a Playstation 3 has connected it to an HDTV.
Az1zam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009   #14
PCN Master
I saying there has to be a bunch of people out there, otherwise why include the cable port from a PlayStation 2 and be backwards compatible with old TV's, it just added cost to the console. Not everyone can afford a new HDTV, even at current prices and some are quite content with their old TV's.
Old 16-07-2009   #15
SuperStaff
Quote:
Sorry, but just how do you know that? Or are you just assuming? I'd like to see facts, everyone I know who owns a Playstation 3 has connected it to an HDTV.
I have an HDTV but its not the same TV i have my PS3 on. Most of my friends do the same thing. Though i have been planning to upgrade this tv too, but overall just happy with it and dont have the money to do so. If i did have the money id probably upgrade though.
Old 16-07-2009   #16
PCN Master
That's the thing, if I had the money to upgrade, and believe me I don't, I'll be broke for years to come as a college student, well that and my college residence doesn't allow you to bring a TV, you have to use the one supplied and you have to get approval from the residence just to hook something up to your TV, so my PlayStation 3 will be lonely back at home for at least a month, I wouldn't upgrade because I can put that towards more games, the TV I use is a CRT flatscreen and it works great with the component cables I have for my PS3, unless it stops working, I'll keep using it for the PS3.
Old 17-07-2009   #17
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
2 Cell processors would have made the price more bloated, I think 1 is doing fine so far + if developers are complaining about developing for the 7 spu's imagine the moaning when you have a dual cells
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009   #18
PCN Master
lol but could you imagine how powerful the system would be? and i could see them putting 2 cells in the PS4 and stuff i could actually see the PS4 basically being the original PS3 design or is that crazy to think it would be that?
Old 17-07-2009   #19
SuperStaff
Sony usually introduces something new with every system. New formats, but i think Blu ray is staying around for a while they will just introduce a better blu ray. From there they will probably have a new cell, but same architecture, for it as well and at least twice the power. MS isnt going to just "revamp" the 360 because its tech is dated now, same thing will happen to PS3.
Old 17-07-2009   #20
PCN Master
lol see i agree about blu-ray for the PS4 but that kind of makes me sad though because EVERY single Playstation has had a different disc format but i dont see Sony getting away from Blu-ray anytime soon. but i really dont know what they are going to change i mean to me it makes the most sense to add another cell processor update the graphics maybe some more memory and and put in the second HDMI port