Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 19-04-2010   #1
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
These Controllers Aren't Durable

I think we had a bit of a talk when some people had some stuck analog sticks but at least to me, PlayStation 3 controllers don't seem to hold up well to usage. I now own 3 controllers and all 3 have problems, one suffers from the stuck analog stick problem (original SIXAXIS), one can't register an L3 press (DualShock 3) and the other has a screwed up X button (second DualShock 3).

So my question to the forum members, has anyone else had such bad luck with these controllers, I mean my DualShock 1 and 2 controllers have held up to way more than this and those are much older than even my SIXAXIS and have seen far more usage.
Old 19-04-2010   #2
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
yeah, I agree, Dualshock 3 controllers aren't as good as Dualshock 1 or 2 controllers.
I got one of the red Dualshock 3 controllers for Christmas and the X button began sticking maybe a month or two after I got it and I didn't have anything sticky near it or anything like that.
the one I got with my PS3 is still working fie but the red one works fine other than the sticky X button
Old 21-04-2010   #3
PCN Senior
PSN ID: xEN7xASSASSINx
i find them pretty durable.. although the sixaxis were very weak and cheap feeling.. i have 2 broken axis ones(analogue on one sticks up so you always move lol, and one stood on accidentally)

i also have a dualshock 3 thats broken, which i dropped causing the L1 button to stick causing rage and a throw at a wall with completey effed it up -_-

but yeah ive had no problems with them just through gaming, its always been bangs, drops and accidental damages that have ruined mine.. :/
Old 21-04-2010   #4
PCN Member
PSN ID: Riarwe
I`ve got one original sixaxis controller and another dual shock3 one, i`ve had the saxaxis one since february 2008, the only problem with this one is that the L2 button "click" everytime I press it although it`s my own fault for spilling cola on it but other than that it works fine.
The dualshock3 one also works fine although the L3 button can get slightly stuck upwards making characters in games go slowly forwards (had the same issue with my ps2 controller).
Though I can`t really say these small issues make the controllers unusable, so with that said for now I find them durable.
Riarwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010   #5
Staff
These ones have lasted longer than my PS2 and PS1 controllers, but I do have some issues. One of my sixaxis has a squeaky analog stick, got a little better when I doused it with WD40 though. My DS3 has a slightly loose R2 button i.e. becomes pressed very easily and starts forwarding movies etc. but it's bearable. On both PS2 and PS1, my controllers broke so many times, I had to make do with 3rd party controllers instead.
Shak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010   #6
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
The controllers have generally all held up well across generations for me, the one asterisk being for the ps2, somehow my X and O buttons got crossed... Then both just became O
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010   #7
"The New Guy"
PSN ID: fatlifeforlife
i must say that my controllers (both of them ds3) are still in perfect condition. had them since they came out.
Old 23-04-2010   #8
PCN Master
Well in a brilliant stroke of luck, after emailing Consumer Services they are willing to exchange my controllers as long as they are under 1 year old and I can provide proof of purchase (although I might try to see if I can avoid that since the receipts are 5 hours away).

But overall it hasn't been a bad day, even got a code to the ModNation Racers PSP Demo early on one of my PSN accounts by complete fluke.
Old 23-04-2010   #9
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
well, good luck getting them replaced man
Old 01-05-2010   #10
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
well they are not as good as the Dualshock 1 and 2 but for the most part i have had no problems with them but i am switching between 2 Dualshocks right now becuase when one dies i will charge it and just use the other one and on the older of the 2 Dualshocks the left analog stick will sometimes get stuck in the lower left for some reason.
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010   #11
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
In reality the Dualshocks are alot more durable than the SixAxis, but still hella cheap.

All you do is throw it or drop it from a good distance and the little plastic holder peices inside break off and rattle around. Then the shell isnt durabale at all. Taking them apart and putting them back together alone makes half the crap break.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010   #12
PCN Member
PSN ID: Riarwe
Ironic that I said my controllers works fine, I just bought a ps2 since I gave my old one away.
However, I was playing Persona 4 and then took a break and left the ps2 and controller on for 2-3 hours. When I get back the controller wont work, the red light is shining on the controller but nothing happens when I press the buttons.

Annoying, now I might have to take the ps2 back -.-.
Riarwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #13
PCN Master
If I've learned one thing recently is Twitter is dead useful when you have problems like this, most companies have a Twitter account, some even have dedicated service ones and if you message them or direct a Tweet to them, you'll be amazed at the service you can get, way better sometimes than calling support. As a promise and service I won't say which company I received help from or what that help consisted of but it was well worth the 30 seconds of time it took to write the tweet. Also as of May 4th, haven't been able to successfully exchange my controllers, but I'm heading home soon so at least one is getting exchanged after I find the receipt.

Although one note, don't bother trying Activision Support, I wrote a tweet today because after the DLC released and a friend of mine bought it, I was able to join his party and enter the lobby of a game requiring DLC, only to be kicked out after joining successfully before the game started because I didn't have the DLC. Support read it even though I never addressed it to them and claimed my friends ports weren't open and it could be related to the newest firmware release and finally came to the brilliant conclusion I shouldn't have been able to join the match, gee no **** sherlock now why did that happen is the question.

End of off-topic rant.
Old 08-05-2010   #14
"The New Guy"
PSN ID: FrankForce77
I have my orignal controller from my 30 Gig and I have never had a problem. I also have a new red controller that I can tell the difference in each as my older one has been used more and is not as stiff I guess is the word I am looking for.
FrankForce77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010   #15
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankForce77 View Post
I have my orignal controller from my 30 Gig and I have never had a problem. I also have a new red controller that I can tell the difference in each as my older one has been used more and is not as stiff I guess is the word I am looking for.
oh yeah there is definitely a difference in the "stiffness" in the sticks of a new controller versus an old controller, I tend to like the older controller better but that is probably just because that is what I am used to now because I use my older controller more
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010   #16
PCN Master
Well since exchanging my controllers fell through (I have to ship them and pay for the shipping to get them exchanged) I've been screwing around with some of the controllers I have laying around. Now awhile back I posted this photo of my previous efforts and I believe I had mentioned that the modifications there hadn't worked well.

Well having learned a lot from that rather bad effort I then decided to create hybrid controllers out of some old controllers so I completely disassembled an original PlayStation controller and the original SIXAXIS that came with my console and created these.

The original PlayStation controller of course being on the left and the SIXAXIS on the right and surprisingly the parts swapped pretty easily with only minor modifications being necessary. Also compared to my previous effort these controllers work as well as they did before modification and the SIXAXIS was actually improved since at the same time I cleaned out the analog stick so it moves much easier.