Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Games
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 04-09-2008   #1
PCN Member
LBP Retro Levels!

That other thread on LittleBigPlanet got me thinking... If the level creator in LBP is really as robust as the reviews are saying, you'll be able to build just about anything. I'm sure I'm not the only person drooling at the idea of trying to rebuild some of the favorites from my childhood - what are some of the best "classic retro" games that would make the coolest Sackboy levels? Keep in mind, it's gotta be something that would work well as a platformer; I mean, I love "Pilotwings", but it ain't gonna work as a Sackboy level.

Some of the "old school" titles I'm thinking of trying to re-do:

Super Mario Bros. (any of them)
Metroid
Castlevania
Sonic
Ice Climbers
Aladdin

What else?
TonySoprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #2
The Creator
Site Admin
PSN ID: popiul99
Any Super Marios + Yoshi would be nice to see! ... Are users gonna be able to share their creations online with other members?
Old 04-09-2008   #3
"The New Guy"
Donkey kong is a must. Plus maybe bubsy. Then maybe some classic arcade games like jungle king.
dpurvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #4
PCN Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySoprano View Post
That other thread on LittleBigPlanet got me thinking... If the level creator in LBP is really as robust as the reviews are saying, you'll be able to build just about anything. I'm sure I'm not the only person drooling at the idea of trying to rebuild some of the favorites from my childhood - what are some of the best "classic retro" games that would make the coolest Sackboy levels? Keep in mind, it's gotta be something that would work well as a platformer; I mean, I love "Pilotwings", but it ain't gonna work as a Sackboy level.

Some of the "old school" titles I'm thinking of trying to re-do:

Super Mario Bros. (any of them)
Metroid
Castlevania
Sonic
Ice Climbers
Aladdin

What else?
Great idea as far as the old school games go.
Its perfect because we can build new levels that have never been seen before and we can also bring back and create old levels from our favorite games in the past.
Just how much cn we do though? Also, Im curious to see just how close we can ake levels look like older games etc.
sky_skyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #5
Staff
PSN ID: Nikhil
Retro levels would be fun, but I don't see how stuff like Mario and Castlevania would work in LBP. We can't modify sackboy physics can we? Unless that's possible, I don't think they'd control too well.
Nikhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #6
PCN Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil View Post
Retro levels would be fun, but I don't see how stuff like Mario and Castlevania would work in LBP. We can't modify sackboy physics can we? Unless that's possible, I don't think they'd control too well.
I dont see the levels being the exact same as these older games we used to love. I think they migh be able to bring things into play that might remind us of our older favorite games.
Either way im sure its going to be cool.
Old 05-09-2008   #7
PCN Member
Please don't double post, use the edit button in the bottom right corner of your post~Nikhil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal View Post
Any Super Marios + Yoshi would be nice to see! ... Are users gonna be able to share their creations online with other members?
Yup - that's supposed to be the main draw of LBP, sharing your stuff online with other people. I'm guessing they'll even have trophies for "most popular level", etc. That's kind of the funny thing, really - those trailers that GT put up had the creators talking about how the game is supposed to come packed with over 50 levels, yet those are really just a "warm up"; the game is really all about creating your OWN stuff and playing other people's levels. Better yet, every level in the game was supposedly created with the exact same level creator the players get to use - so you automatically know that if there's something in the "official" game, you know that it's possible to do the exact same type of thing yourself.

Quote:
You can probably come pretty close. I mean, I don't know if Sackboy will have a projectile ability or "power up" type options, although both are possible, but other than that - Mario is basically just running and jumping, and you could say the same about Castlevania. The big change there would be the whip, but one of the LBP trailers already shows Sackboy carrying a sword, which isn't too much different.

Last edited by Nikhil; 05-09-2008 at 05:26 PM..
Old 05-09-2008   #8
Staff
PSN ID: Nikhil
Quote:
You can probably come pretty close. I mean, I don't know if Sackboy will have a projectile ability or "power up" type options, although both are possible, but other than that - Mario is basically just running and jumping, and you could say the same about Castlevania. The big change there would be the whip, but one of the LBP trailers already shows Sackboy carrying a sword, which isn't too much different.
Yeah, but sackboy isn't as precise as those characters I don't think. In the videos I've watched, he feels more floaty. Timing jumps onto mushrooms and hitting ? boxes would be hard unless the physics were changed IMO.

Last edited by Nikhil; 05-09-2008 at 05:29 PM..
Nikhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008   #9
The Creator
Site Admin
PSN ID: popiul99
Quote:
Please don't double post, use the edit button in the bottom right corner of your post~Nikhil

Yup - that's supposed to be the main draw of LBP, sharing your stuff online with other people. I'm guessing they'll even have trophies for "most popular level", etc. That's kind of the funny thing, really - those trailers that GT put up had the creators talking about how the game is supposed to come packed with over 50 levels, yet those are really just a "warm up"; the game is really all about creating your OWN stuff and playing other people's levels. Better yet, every level in the game was supposedly created with the exact same level creator the players get to use - so you automatically know that if there's something in the "official" game, you know that it's possible to do the exact same type of thing yourself.

Wow that seems very nice ... I think we're gonna have to integrate those features into the new website possibly!
Old 07-09-2008   #10
"The New Guy"
PSN ID: SolidSnakeUS42
Seriously, these levels will rule so many others haha.
SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #11
PCN Member
Quote:
Yeah, but sackboy isn't as precise as those characters I don't think. In the videos I've watched, he feels more floaty. Timing jumps onto mushrooms and hitting ? boxes would be hard unless the physics were changed IMO.
I see what your saying as far as the jumping goes. He does seem a little more floaty. I dont think movement etc will be the exact same or the character but I do think the idea of the game will be sort of like ones from the past. But on a whole new level
Old 08-09-2008   #12
PCN Member
Quote:
That's a good point - probably a better example would be Super Smash Bros., particularly the "Adventure" mode, where you've got different characters playing around in levels that are very reminiscent of classic games. The physics aren't exactly the same, but in a way, that kind of gives you more room to explore new ideas in a familiar environment.
Old 09-09-2008   #13
"The New Guy"
PSN ID: SolidSnakeUS42
I am waiting for a level in LBP where it has some levels from Soldner X: Himmelssturmer (most people don't know what this is).
SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008   #14
PCN Member
Oh, I just thought of one more "classic" level I'm going to try and remake in LBP - after seeing the tracks and rocket cars that people are doing, I'm going to see if I can redo the "mine cart" level from Donkey Kong Country.
Old 05-10-2008   #15
That would be awesome. Especially if the rumor comes true and LittleBigPlanet is released for the PSP. I would love to be able to play it on the go.
Old 07-10-2008   #16
PCN Member
LBP on the PSP would be cool - if it's done correctly. If it's just a "bare bones" version of the PS3 title, then I don't really care - but if it's a complimentary tool to the PS3 title, then it could be awesome. Like, if it was a creator that you could take with you and use to create objects that would then be imported into your PS3 game, or an "on the go" music creator or something.