Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 18-06-2010   #1
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
PlayStation Video Store Finally Opens to Canadians

Yes fellow Canadians Sony has finally decided to grace the great white north with the video download store the Americans and several other regions have had for awhile now. More specifically the store opens on July 1st which is great news although it's more than slightly annoying that just like PSN cards, it took them this long to bring the service across the border.
Old 18-06-2010   #2
PCN Addict
PSN ID: glen421
Why did it take so long?
glen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010   #3
PCN Master
I wish I knew but it's a common trend with a lot of things, I mean PlayStation.ca is a poor website compared to the US PlayStation website and as a result most Canadians use the US website. The original Zune released later in Canada than to the U.S and we still don't have the Zune HD. Amazon.ca doesn't offer nearly the same selection of items or the amount of deals that Amazon.com does. We can't watch the latest shows from most American channels websites (thanks to geo-blocking), we have to wait for Canadian channels to offer them on their often worse websites.

Well that and thanks to language laws being enforced rather weirdly, my PS3 game collection has an interesting mix of games with just English packaging and some with English/French packaging and all my games are bought from Canadian retailers (it's almost as infuriating as when they changed the box design because then you have games that stick out like a sore thumb). But I'm beginning to get too far off-topic/ranting.
Old 22-06-2010   #4
PCN Addict
Wow...I didn't realize how it was in Canada. Can you buy items from Amazon.com? If so do they work on your software and hardware?
Old 22-06-2010   #5
PCN Master
Amazon.com themselves won't ship games to Canada, if you want to buy from the U.S you have to buy from a third party retailer in the U.S and by the time you add in taxes and possible duty once it crosses the border, it never works out cheaper as game prices are competitive with the U.S most of the time, ex. a 250GB PlayStation 3 costs $349.99 Canadian up here, same as the U.S.

That being said, all PS3 games released in Canada or the U.S are identical in terms of function, region encoding, etc. The only difference between them is the retail packaging you see on the shelf and in terms of services all parts of the PlayStation Network make no distinction between U.S gamers and Canadian gamers except the PlayStation Store because here it lists items in Canadian $, we haven't had the video store up until the news hit and rarely hasn't offered the same giveaways as the U.S Store, ex. I had to get the free copy of Rag Doll Kung Fu from the U.S Store on my U.S account, the free copy of Flow on the other hand I was able to get from my Canadian account.
Old 22-06-2010   #6
PCN Addict
Is it the laws of Canada or is it Sony being a jerk? Do you have the same issues with 360 games?
Old 22-06-2010   #7
PCN Master
To my knowledge the 360 is pretty much the same, I mean since they have the points system, they simply charge whatever they want in points and it's up to you to buy the points at whatever the rate to buy points is in your local currency.

I mean other than the video store and the PlayStation Store's few quirks, the PlayStation Network doesn't differentiate between Canada and U.S and in the case of the 360, Canadians don't have access to Netflix, but Netflix doesn't exist in Canada at all so it's understandable. But again, like the PlayStation Network other than that I believe 360 users don't experience any differences between the U.S and Canada (although I can only go off what I hear from my sister, I don't own a 360 or live in the house where it is anymore).

In terms of games, movies, Blu-Ray, etc there in no difference between a U.S copy and a copy sold in Canada except the packaging on the outside of the case sometimes can be English only or English/French, the actual discs are exactly the same and everything works between countries (there would almost be riots if it didn't since so many Canadians cross the border to go shopping).

With that in mind here is a compairson photo I shot quickly comparing my copy of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare with my copy of Modern Warfare 2.

Modern Warfare 2 is English only where my copy of COD4 has English, French and I believe Spanish (my only game that anything but English and/or French on it).

As to why things take so long up here, part of it is down to the amount of people up here. I mean the entire population of Canada (around 34 million) is less than the entire population of California (around 36 million) and we are spread out over a huge area, although around half of Canada's population lives along the Ontario-Quebec Highway 401/20 corridor. Also U.S companies don't like Canada because unlike the U.S we don't have something like the DMCA and in fact under current laws, it's not even illegal to download music up here for personal use (you can't upload it or post it somewhere but you are free to download it if someone else posted it).

Plus in general Canadian copyright laws are very lax, basically as long you aren't mass producing copies of movies or taping movies in the movie theater and selling them around, it's pretty much guaranteed you aren't going to get caught for anything. I mean the Conservative Party of Canada is now on their second attempt to introduce new laws to change this but it will probably die in the House of Commons along with the last attempt because something else will come up, plus there was a lot of backlash against the last attempt as well and this one too.

Last edited by X_Racer1; 22-06-2010 at 05:17 PM..
X_Racer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010   #8
"The New Guy"
if you want to buy from the U.S you have to buy from a third party retailer in the U.S and by the time you add in taxes and possible duty once it crosses the border, it never works out cheaper as game prices are competitive with the U.S most of the time, ex. a 250GB PlayStation 3 costs $349.99 Canadian up here, same as the U.S.That being said, all PS3 games released in Canada or the U.S are identical in terms of function, region encoding, etc. The only difference between them is the retail packaging you see on the shelf and in terms of services all parts of the PlayStation Network make no distinction between U.S gamers and Canadian gamers except the PlayStation Store because here it lists items in Canadian $, we haven't had the video store up until the news hit and rarely hasn't offered the same giveaways as the U.S Store, ex. I had to get the free copy of Rag Doll Kung Fu from the U.S Store on my U.S account, the free copy of Flow on the other hand I was able to get from my Canadian account. In terms of games, movies, Blu-Ray, etc there in no difference between a U.S copy and a copy sold in Canada except the packaging on the outside of the case sometimes can be English only or English/French, the actual discs are exactly the same and everything works between countries (there would almost be riots if it didn't since so many Canadians cross the border to go shopping).
lehua768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010   #9
PCN Master
Wow, spammers have gone to a new low, copying text directly out of responses in the same thread to use as text to put up along with their spam links. Even more stupid is using the same text in a completely unrelated thread (awesome PS3 suit). Do these people actually think we are stupid enough to fall for this c***.