Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 06-07-2010   #1
PCN Addict
PSN ID: glen421
Does Sony need to upgrade the PS3?

Now that MS has truly upgraded the 360 in appearance and features. Does Sony need to follow suit? Last year Sony made a move to reduce costs by manufacturing the slim model. Which have obviously helped console sales overall.

Now over the years of the PS3 we have seen subtle deletions of features that you can argue are needed and not needed. The major being the ever continuous debate over B/C. Then with the memory card reader, and then reduced 4 USB ports to 2. I'm not a fan of the slim's aesthetic look either and it appears to have gone backwards IMO.

At the end of Microsoft's E3 press conference they revealed a new 360 which went on-sale the next day. Now I haven't seen one in person but it appears to be a complete overhaul with piano black finish, 250GB HDD, integrated wireless "N", "whisper"quiet, and Kinect (5 USB ports) ready all for $299. This is a good deal. Also, word on the street is MS is going to have a holiday bundle with the new 360 for $199.

I think Sony has to do something to combat this in someway. Either thru re-design or price drop. Me personally I would be looking for a re-design. Maybe keep the slim dimensions and go back to piano black finish, add USB ports to the back of the console. Oh and definitely upgrade wireless to the "N" standard.

What do you guys think? Should Sony do anything at all?
glen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010   #2
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
I think they will not upgrade the wireless at all they will keep it at g and the PS4 will have N (or better if it is available) they might add USB to the back or possibly the front but they did away with the piano black for a reason they will prob not bring that back. I do not really think they need to do anything maybe drop the price is all but they could do a whole lot to help
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010   #3
PCN Member
To be honest, wireless N is useless here in the UK because broadband providers don't even provide those sort of speeds.
Personally the slim model is actually quite nice looking. In photos it looks horrible, but in real life it looks lovely. Although I have to admit, the xbox 360 slim looks beautiful.
I highly doubt they will release a new model because they have manged to get the production and selling prices equal, so they aren't losing money on every PS3 they sell.
Oh, and: http://www.ps3center.net/news/4621/t...tting-shelves/
LewisJ999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010   #4
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
honestly, I think Sony should just wait it out a bit before they change anything until they see how much people have responded to the new 360 slim more
Old 08-07-2010   #5
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
it really does not look like the 360 is selling that much better and the PS3 is still just as well if not better than the 360 even after this slim release. I still dont see them making any major changes to the PS3 other than maybe BC, which i think should be coming soon
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010   #6
PCN Addict
PSN ID: glen421
I don't think we will know actual sales data until the July NPD hits in August, but there are some articles on the internet stating that there was an 800% increase in sales over in Japan. Microsoft has gone on record saying Sony will have a hard time this holiday selling consoles. Meaning the 360 deal will be better than anything Sony can come up with. That's a bold statement to say when we will be seeing GT5 coming out in November.

We've all said it on this forum before. Sony has got to find a way to make a dent in the 9million + consoles it lags behind the 360 here in the US. How they do that I'm not sure.
glen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010   #7
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
honestly, I don't know how they'll do that either.
God of war 3 managed to sell a good amount of PS3s, so did the release of the slims, so hopefully GT5 and maybe even killzone 3 can help the PS3 catch up
Old 08-07-2010   #8
"The New Guy"
PSN ID: Firedshot
Does the Xbox now come with a Blueray player? Have free online gameplay? Come with wireless controller? Can you change the Hard drive to any laptop hard drive? Access to free demos themes etc from a free to view store? Is it Compatible with an unbeliveable amount of periphrials?

As far as i know it doesn't so buy changing it a little i don't think many people will be fooled!
Old 08-07-2010   #9
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
The only reason you need Wireless N is for the router itself. N supports high speeds and lots of bandwith, but even the top internet providers in AZ cant provide speeds to use it right. N also isnt fully working correctly anywhere in the States at all, maybe in Japan, but here its just a fancy wireless G signal.

The only other reason to use N would be for MS to say "oh well N is better than G, so we win. "

Sony already has a few bundles in store for holiday, and three new models that will be announced for holiday that are already on shelves in Japan. Sony has Gran Turismo, which WILL move more consoles than any other game on the market especially in Europe. Sony has the better Fall lineup, has EA giving them exclusive content (free MOH Frontlines anyone?) and has the AAA games. Microsofts "slim" came out too early, the hype of its gonna die off just in time for Move and Kinect, at which Sony will be marketing Move WITH its new models so it helps both.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote