Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email
Closed Thread

Old 30-08-2010   #1
"The New Guy"
iFixit + PS3?

I will be humble, honest, and upfront about this post. I work for iFixit, however I read through the rules and will follow them.

We just announced our launch of the largest library of open-source game console repair manuals across all platforms.

Here are some news articles out today covering the announcement.

http://kotaku.com/5625510/want-to-re...-game-consoles
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...-Repair-Guides

It would be great to have some feedback from any members or mods from PS3center on how we can help you.

I am in this catch-22 posting about this since I am from an outside website, but I want to help you guys out.
Old 30-08-2010   #2
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
Regardless of you being upfront about it this is still blatant advertising for your "service" and as such is a violation of Rules 1 and 15 of the forums.

Specifically (bolded and underlined):

1. No Spam - Spam is defined as blatant self-promotion, or sometimes simply mindless posting. It is best phrased as "Stupid Pointless Annoying Messages." It can also be seen as advertising for a major website in order to get profits from said website. Multiple posts of the same subject to clutter the forum, posts with no relevance to any subjects dealt with on the forum, or posts devoted purely to promoting one?s own work will be deleted, and the user will be given a Warning or a Ban, depending on the severity of the offense.

15. No Advertising Other Sites - We employ a strict "no advertising" policy, which includes promoting your site, or that of a competitor. Linking to sources of articles is okay - however posting links in order to
send traffic to those sites is unacceptable. Such posts will be removed and the member will be warned.

However genuine your intentions were, this is a clear violation of forum rules and there is no way to weasel your way around this fact with this type of thread.
Old 30-08-2010   #3
"The New Guy"
Fair enough. You are completely correct. I tread a very delicate line.

However
"Linking to sources of articles is okay "

Was the reason I still decided to make this post. I figured it would be safe to post relevant articles to my post, which is relevant to a forum about PS3s.

We make $0 from our repair manuals. If that is what you meant by our 'service'.

I'm trying to go about this via the "teach a man to fish" method as opposed to "selling the only fishing pole in town".

Do you have any suggestions of how I can avoid coming off as an advertiser?
Old 30-08-2010   #4
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
By it's very nature this type of post will always be unacceptable (doesn't matter how you try to change it) and even if you don't make anything off the "manuals" you're still diverting traffic to your website, thereby increasing your viewcount and any/all advertising revenue as well and the forums are not here to help you advertise, increase your viewcount and/or advertising revenue for personal or company gain.

As of now I finished giving any more replies/responses to this thread, it's had enough exposure for the gain of the "service" involved and although I lack the power to personally delete this thread, I will make every effort to ensure it's deletion.
Old 30-08-2010   #5
"The New Guy"
Okay, but you are the exact kind of person who would be useful to talk with. I looked through your other post about your dead PS3.

"Anyway for those who missed the other thread, the title says it all, my PS3 is dead as of today, August 17th, 2010 to the Flashing Red Light of Death and in a rather ironic kick in the balls today happened to also be GamesCom with Insomniac announcing both Resistance 3 and Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One and new trailers were released for several new exclusive games. Needless to say, not a fun day.

Anyway as a result, I'm in the process of selling my broken 80GB unit now as my console is well out of the Sony warranty and I don't expect Sony to be forthcoming in willing to fix my console and assuming I can sell it and save some more cash, I'll be buying a new slim console. Thanks to the new models being announced today, maybe I can get one at a good price.
"

You are obviously very handy with electronics since you were able to take out the HDD and realize your disc drive still worked. You are the exact kind of person that I would be looking for to share your knowledge.

It seems unfair to other users who might find themselves in the same situation you were in, that they might not be as good with electronics in terms of troubleshooting their ps3 like you did.

By choosing to ignore the resource we provide. I would argue that you are causing the same problems Sony does by having unhelpful customer service. (whose crappy game console repair service you complain about)

If you feel that helping us would divert traffic flow from here, then you can take advantage of the freely available "Teams" feature on our site. Which is specifically designed for people to promote their organization, and keep track of all their contributions. (www.ifixit.com/teams)

Taking advantage of this would probably result in more traffic diverted to PS3 center, since people around the world would know that this is the place to go for PS3 knowledge.
Old 31-08-2010   #6
The Creator
Site Admin
PSN ID: popiul99
The thread is being closed. If you want to discuss about opportunities, please email me at [email protected]

Thanks

Michal / Admin