Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 10-01-2011   #1
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
apparently, there's been more breakthroughs in hacking the PS3

I found this article on how some group of hackers have apparently found a new way to hack the PS3 using something called a security key or something like that, which I didn't really understand.
what do you guys think about this?
and I would appreciate if someone could explain it to me better.

I personally hope that Sony can do something about it before they lose out on too much money, but the article says that there's not much they can do so I don't know what else to think
give me your thoughts
Old 11-01-2011   #2
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
Its sad. The guys are only hurting the real consumers, and they honestly dont seem to care at all.

People that are clueless think the only people that will suffer are Sony, but thats not the case. Developers, consumers, and everyone involved will suffer.

Luckily this can be fixed. They say it cant be but there are plenty of ways around it. Its a security key, sony can change how its accessed etc...its not like a MAC address. Sony can force updates on new game discs, and new security features in blu ray and the hard drive etc...Sony can also just simply ban anyone with an altered security key, which I hope happens either way.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #3
Staff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin S. View Post
Its sad. The guys are only hurting the real consumers, and they honestly dont seem to care at all.

People that are clueless think the only people that will suffer are Sony, but thats not the case. Developers, consumers, and everyone involved will suffer.

Luckily this can be fixed. They say it cant be but there are plenty of ways around it. Its a security key, sony can change how its accessed etc...its not like a MAC address. Sony can force updates on new game discs, and new security features in blu ray and the hard drive etc...Sony can also just simply ban anyone with an altered security key, which I hope happens either way.
Yes it's definitely possible to protect future games, but games that are already available are definitely susceptible to being hacked easily. Even in future firmwares, they would have to allow the old key, in case someone actually bought an older game and it didn't work, so it would be a major issue. I still think they can stop it to some extent, just like PSP hacking.
Shak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #4
PCN Senior
PSN ID: xEN7xASSASSINx
it is sad, but i also dont think its a bad as its being made out..

I mean the psp(not the Go) has still shown growth after being hacked for years, the iphone has been hacked and still shows growth, the 360 has been hacked since the 1st year of release and is still having growth(although being out done by the ps3 in many countries now) and the ps3 has only just been fully hacked.. if anything i think sony deserve praise, its taken a long time.

Also i heard that the most recent key obtained was hardware encoded and cannot be changed via software, sony would have to change this but it would mean all previous models were still hackable, although if they try to use PSN it would/will be detectable like you said.

It happens though, im pretty sure it wont be as bad as it seems although i do understand there will be alot of loss for many people as there always is with piracy.
Old 14-01-2011   #5
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
Sure the PSP hardware may see growth, but the software sector is just a bag of hurt for
dev's with the guys behind Ghost of Sparta even questioning why bother

The homebrew crowd had linux at their disposal for years, was any worthwhile
homebrew software developed in this time?
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011   #6
Staff
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAvi View Post
Sure the PSP hardware may see growth, but the software sector is just a bag of hurt for
dev's with the guys behind Ghost of Sparta even questioning why bother

The homebrew crowd had linux at their disposal for years, was any worthwhile
homebrew software developed in this time?
As far as I know, no. I think there may have been a decent media server app on it, but the fact that the RSX was locked out, and the processing speed was so slow, meant that nothing good could actually be done.

I'm all for homebrew, though I don't get why anyone wants to play their old SNES games on a PS3 system, even though they;ve probably done the exact same thing on every console that's ever come out since then. But we all know that hacking always leads to piracy, and with piracy, devs will go out of business, and we'll get even less games, especially in the current economic climate.
Shak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011   #7
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
They had certain things such as Doom running on Linux but were unable to do anything more. It was the fact that someone slipped up and found a way to do something more, so Sony blocked it out. I honestly believe the fact linux was availible allowed the current hack to be found.

However I dont mind "homebrew" its the fact that these "hackers" are not doing it for homebrew. Its an excuse for a escape route so they dont get in trouble for allowing pirating. The first thing released when this hack was found? A cracked and uploaded Castlevania. The average users havent got their hands on it long enough to do that, so it was obviously from the hackers themselves.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011   #8
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
Seems MW2 has become a casualty, unless they release some sorta firmware to lock these consoles out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh837Dqjuh0
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote