Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 23-02-2010   #1
PCN Addict
PSN ID: glen421
Can The "arc" compete with Natal?

I guess since we are all fans of all that is Playstation. We should all be in support of the ineveitable true motion controller option coming this fall. Right? With all the mainstream gaming media drowling over Natal it seems that Sony's motion controller doesn't get the proper recognition it deserves. Please read this article.

Well I have to admit I haven't been very interested in this at all but I am slightly curious now as to how Sony plans to pull this off. I pray this isn't going to be another "eye toy" peripheral and it just disappears. Tech wise it sounds like it is going to be the best on the market with true 1:1 control and with devs having easier to use code that is sure a plus. What do you guys think of arc in general? Can it compete? Will it have any success? Will you buy it?
glen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010   #2
Staff
I think it could be good, but whether it is a commercial success depends on price, and more importantly marketing. MS will market Natal very well, they wil probably use millions of dollars, and I doubt Sony could even match it.
Shak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010   #3
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
basically what Shak said i mean i think it will be pretty awesome and fun and to me natal is just the eyetoy, but on the same note arc is just the wii lol but i think the most important factor will be price and i feel like Natal will be quite a bit cheaper than the arc therefore sell alot better
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010   #4
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
Sony has to be first to the market by months or they are screwed...
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010   #5
PCN Senior
PSN ID: xEN7xASSASSINx
at a technical point they can compete/defeat natal.. i mean natal is they eyetoy, well ps eye i should say with the ability to view field of depth.. because the ps eye can already motion track, has voice recognition ability, an i also think it could view field of depth via a software update?.. most of ps3 hardware can do more via software updates.. also i read somewhere yesterday that the ps eye is getting an upgrade for the release of the 'arc'.. so im guessing it could be pre installed field of depth vision and full 3d support(so maybe when 3d is launched it will pick you up and immerse you into the 3d game)..

and also the fact you have the camera and something physical to hold its going to be better in my opinion, plus that way its like the wii with HD graphics which alot of people have asked for..

but microsoft always put millions into there marketing so from a marketing/sales point i think natal will destroy the 'arc' just because the of the fact that 360 fanboys tend to buy anything thats thrown at them and then grace it as the most amazing piece of technology to be seen lol
Old 24-02-2010   #6
PCN Master
honestly in the video where they show the video and they are scrolling through the movies or something, i really dont wanna stick my arm out and make that motion everytime i want to see the next option.

There has been alot of talk by PS fans (my self included) that Natal is just they PS eye but honestly look at the 'arc' it is just the wii with better tracking
Old 25-02-2010   #7
PCN Senior
PSN ID: xEN7xASSASSINx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipchit02 View Post
honestly in the video where they show the video and they are scrolling through the movies or something, i really dont wanna stick my arm out and make that motion everytime i want to see the next option.

There has been alot of talk by PS fans (my self included) that Natal is just they PS eye but honestly look at the 'arc' it is just the wii with better tracking
yep thats how i feel, i mean the ad they released(i didnt manage to see it) but there was people talking onit at youtube, they stated in the ad that it makes you look stupid lol.. think it was in a basketball game ?..

and yup thats exactly what the arc is.. but it will use the wand and the camera, also alot of people didnt like the wii for its graphics so this could sway them to the arc..

even since nintendo has been slowing down in sales.. maybe they'll choose to release maybe a zelda game on ps3 or something(this is a longshot i know)..

but who knows..
Old 25-02-2010   #8
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
Nintendo releasing a Zelda game on a rival platform won't happen, it would like admitting, yeah we lost at the console wars and considering when the GameCube was doing far worse Nintendo didn't cave and release elsewhere so why would they now with the runaway success of the Wii, even with sales slowing they are still the #1 selling console this generation and hence have a huge market to release games to.

Actually watching an E3 video of Natal and some of the things they claim it could do were things the PlayStation 2 was doing with the PS2 EyeToy, some of the games shown in that video could even be considering direct copies of mini games that were in EyeToy Play and EyeToy Play 2. One of them reminded me of the Ninja game from both of the Play games, you appeared on screen and you would try to slap, move to avoid and yell at ninjas to get rid of them.

So when Sony is doing that a generation ago and has had the advanced camera to do what Natal can do out for awhile now then introduces Arc to take it a step further and from reports, with the Arc developers can use the basic codebase from Wii games to develop motion control for PlayStation 3 games where with Natal they have to start from scratch so who knows, maybe some of the better Wii titles will see HD remakes when the Arc comes out.
Old 25-02-2010   #9
PCN Master
it will be really interesting to see what happens. I guess Sony is supposed to make an announcement at GDC this year regarding 'arc' but i expect E3 to be when we get all the info we need on these devices