Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 29-03-2010   #1
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
New Firmware v3.21 On The Way

And it serves one and only one purpose, in more recent months a certain piece of slime released his hack for the PlayStation 3 which relied on the PlayStation 3's ability to install Linux, Sony, not wanting a repeat of the disaster the PSP has been for piracy has decided to release v3.21 firmware which will remove the ability to use the Other OS option on all earlier consoles that previously had this feature. Now for the few people who did use Linux on the PlayStation 3 this will obviously be a problem but as many point out, the installation was so restricted and crippled it barely served a purpose so many are perfectly fine with it's removal, myself included if it prevents hacking/cheating/piracy.

Although I will give one sliver of hope to those that use the feature, apparently the release date is April 1st so some people are claiming it's just an April Fools Joke although if so I think it's rather poor of Sony to post it to the PlayStation Blog as if it's an official update.

Last edited by X_Racer1; 29-03-2010 at 08:16 AM..
X_Racer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010   #2
Staff
Seems like the rumor I posted before the story went live on PSBlog was right.

Not a huge loss for me personally, I'd just be ****ed that I'll have PS3 which is capable of installing Linux, but now it can't :(
Shak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010   #3
PCN Addict
PSN ID: glen421
Not quit sure how I feel abut this. I hate it when they remove features but I didn't really use it any way. Just seemed too (I don't want to say difficult)" involved "to get Linux installed. IMO.

My question is are they adding anything with v3.21?
glen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010   #4
PCN Master
It's funny too, several websites I've been to on the issue always have similar comments, like class-action lawsuit time. What none of these idiots remember is there is a license agreement for the system software that you accept every time you update the firmware and it specifically says Sony can remove functionality and that basically by accepting the agreement you can't do squat about it. Did they really think Sony would remove something without having their a**** covered.
Old 29-03-2010   #5
PCN Addict
PSN ID: treDIDDY97
I don't even know wut Linux is so this doesn't affect me at all

PS3: It only does everything
trediddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010   #6
PCN Senior
PSN ID: xEN7xASSASSINx
even worse, hes now saying that because sony have chosen to take this away(a function which some people bought a ps3 for) he will look into creating a custom firmware for those that do not update..

so this could get even worse for sony

i think they should cancel it, because 1) only fat ps3s can be exploited(so far) and since he released the exploits there hasnt been anything done(major anyway) so it would probably another year obefore major things happen.. also it would never be on the scale of the psp.. because think about it the sheer size of the bluray games would put ALOT of pirates off.. and even the 360 has been hacked for ages and tbh it still makes a f*ck tonne of money because its a major gaming platform, as is the ps3. where as the psp is just a portable device.. it woul never reach that scale..

but now i can see alot of problems about to surface because of this.

but on a personal note i never used this feature when i had a fat, and never intended too, and tbh if i was a major user of this would i be playing many games anyway? probably not
Old 01-04-2010   #7
PCN Master
Well it's not an April Fools joke, the firmware is real and will be waiting for you next time you try to log on to the PlayStation Network. I've already installed it and they took a great effort to explain that the feature will be removed and warn you to back up anything you might have on a Linux partition as it will disappear after the update. They even double-check you want to run the update.
Old 01-04-2010   #8
Staff
IMO, Sony should give users a better feature in replacement of the Linux functionality. Even though I never used Linux on PS3 (and I doubt most PS3 owners did), but it sucks for those who were using the feature legitimately, only to get it removed due to hacking.
Shak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #9
1337 Sauce
PSN ID: bharat4ever
Found a video on youtube which shows how to bypass the firmware and still connect to PSN. I for one updated the firmware, but maybe someone can try this and confirm?

Youtube link
bharat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #10
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
I am fortunate enough to be able to purchase most of my game related wants, for those who turn to pirating for the ps3 tho ,its gonna be tough though, 50gb discs will get you capped by your isp in no time.

Hows SF4 going by the way Bharat, did you pick a character yet?
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #11
1337 Sauce
PSN ID: bharat4ever
I didn't get to play a lot yesterday Saint... Will tell you tonight :)
bharat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, linux, removal, update, v3.21