Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > Playstation 2 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 07-04-2007   #1
MOD
PSN ID: sauberbmw
PS2 Is Kicking Xbox 360's Butt, While PS3 Dies

Quote:
no surprise that the PlayStation 3 hasn?t been a big hit. And obviously the huge price tag and lacking software lineup has been the prime cause of what looks like an early demise of Sony?s next-gen console. Surprisingly, though, the PS2 has managed to sell more units month-on-end than the Xbox 360.

Now common-sense might say that the PS2's cheaper price should enable it to shift more units than the bigger, flashier and more expensive Microsoft next-gen console. However, time and time again ? even during the holiday season, which is the highest selling point of video game sales ? the PS2 was the major console to come out on top.

Even during February, according to NPD analysts, the PS2 out-sold the Xbox 360's 228,000 units, with an impressive 295,000 units. The results were the same for all of 2006 and up through January, when the PS2 and Xbox 360 went head-to-head in stats. What?s funny, though, is that the PS2's decline in software sales has seen an annual drop of about 15%. And while that is drastic, it?s fairly expected. According to Next-gen Biz, Michael Patcher commented that ??The precipitous decline in PS2 software sales concerns us,?

Michael needs to be slapped. There's no reason to be concerned because there weren't a whole lot of hard hitting games gracing the PS2 during the period in which the 'concerning declines' take place. Also note, the prices on PS2 titles drop a lot faster now that the newer systems are out. But when the NPD surveys the sales from retailers for March and April, the PS2's sales should look pretty darn good with just a few games like God of War II and MLB The Show. That?s not including third-party support, which seems like it?s as stable as ever. Especially given that Liquid Games has now joined on as a budget-priced supporter of PC and PS2 gaming. In a recent press announcement, Oxygen?s CEO Jim Scott commented that... ?Recent research indicates that $9.99 is only perceived as a ?good? price point by consumers. We?ve always aimed to offer family gamers ?great value? so we?re adapting our Liquid Games pricing accordingly?,

So while PS2 games get cheaper, and strangely sell more, PS3 just seems to be dying. While yes, Sony is doing a lot of good things with the PlayStation (2) brand, they don?t seem to have enough momentum ? or any momentum for that matter ? heading up the PlayStation 3. Instead, the PS3 is sitting on retailer shelves, collecting dust and telling tales of its manufacturing days to accompanying PSP units.

In fact, the PS3 has only moved 123,000 units in February. And that?s not just disappointing, that?s embarrassing for a brand spanking new, next-generation video game console. But there?s no reason to beat around any invisible bush ? we all know that the PS3's price point and lacking software lineup is the reason it?s dying. Heck, I?d tell all my friends to purchase a PS3 simply for the PlayStation Home...if I knew they wouldn?t have to forfeit a car note, a mortgage, rent or food just to buy one. Conveniently, the PS3 is priced perfectly to interfere with things in life that are actually important...like bills or a college text book.

Eventually, though, the PS2's library of new games will dwindle in importance as 2008 nears, and Sony will actually have a problem on their hand. When the Xbox 360 and Wii are carrying heavy third-party exclusives for 2008, Sony is either going to have to have the PS3's software support shaped up, or they?ll have to be ready to slip out of the race altogether. Next year at this time, the PS2 will definitely not have the staying power it has right now. So it?ll be crucial for the PS3 to have games that at least justify its pricing. Otherwise, gamers will flock to either the Xbox 360 or Wii, which will surely drop in price come 2008.
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/PS2...Dies-3682.html
Sauberbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007   #2
PCN Addict
Location: Colombia born...NEW YORK raised...but for now I stay in Texas

I agree, the reason why I haven't been able to get a PS3 is because of its price, for now I have a PS2 but sooner or later Sony will probably stop makin PS2 games & I'll want to get a PS3 but not unless the price drops a bit
camila23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007   #3
The Moderator
you can tell this has been written by an anti PS3 person, because they use words like slip out the race, PS3 Dying, Embarrasing, i don't think that the PS3 is dying, its sold a hell of alot more consoles than 360 + Wii in its first month, an whilst the games aren't the best, they'res a couple gems, and a steady supply of great games coming this year, and a price drop aswell, sony's made all the right moves to keep a console so expensive running.

Matt
Old 08-04-2007   #4
PCN Addict

I dont know about who sells more or less either way I want a ps3
but it said a lot about the money issue which is currently my issue
Old 08-04-2007   #5
1337 Sauce
when the price goes down and home comes out sales will pick up but it doesnt matter to me about price as im not paying for it any way

THERE IS SUCH THING AS A FREE LUNCH
Old 08-04-2007   #6
$ITE GANGSTA [MOD]
eldavo just a real quick question did ur ps3 come in that u got from that site??

Last edited by juicyjuice107; 08-04-2007 at 01:34 PM..
juicyjuice107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2007   #7
PCN Addict
dang! it can't be dead before I even get one!
Old 14-04-2007   #8
1337 Sauce
I don't see it happening.
PS3FreeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2007   #9
PCN Addict
once the price drops & more games come out
then more ppl will get them

[url]www.myspace.com/camila23[/url][/FONT][/COLOR]
Old 15-04-2007   #10
The Moderator
wait for burnout 5, in glorious 1080p, the shops will be full of people!

Matt
Old 16-04-2007   #11
PCN Addict
yeah, i'll be one of em, for sure. Burnout is lots of fun...tons of wreckage!
Old 16-04-2007   #12
The Moderator
yeah, really fast pace action!

Matt
Old 16-04-2007   #13
1337 Sauce
PS3 is far from dying anyone thats use half a brain and doesnt enjoy writing doom and gloom bash would relize we are in the slow period for gaming anyways and when you add a 600 pricetag and really no games that will = poor sales , wait till a price drop and the games and watch them fly off the shelf hell its sold about 3 million with 2.5 good games and a 600 price tag thats pretty good in my books

Others That Ive Played - Blazing Angels , RR7 , F1
jasonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007   #14
PCN Addict
well put, jason! I agree completely
Old 20-04-2007   #15
"The New Guy"
I find it funny that people automatically think a new system is dying just because they are slowly releasing games for it. Have patience everyone. At least this time around Sony seems to be doing a lot better on their games. Answer me this... Would you rather have 100 games in 1 year or have 10 really awesome games in 1 year that you wont get bored of.
bpatches701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007   #16
PCN Senior
i would rather have 10 awesome games not just cause there great but cause it is cheaper then buying a 100 games.
auron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007   #17
1337 Sauce
the PS3's just getting started folks. That anti-PS3 tirade being passed as news was a joke.

I would expect the Wii and 360 to stay ahead of the PS3 in sales for a while, but that will eventually change. As the PS3's full online capabilities are released, HDTV use increases, and more compelling software hits the market, the PS3 adoption rate will climb more rapidly. Plus, Sony is actively looking for ways to lower the costs of the PS3, and they stated as much today. Once PS3 prices start decreasing sales will spike upward as well.

Right now, Sony is way ahead of the curve by including the HD Blu-ray player and other features in the PS3. The current PS3 price makes it a specialty console when compared to the price of the Wii or 360. It's like comparing a Ferrari with a Honda Accord - which would you expect to sell more of? Plus, the Wii is basically an overclocked GameCube (compare the specs, you'll see), so it's already dated. The biggest things it has going for it are that it's new and cheap. Soon, it will just be cheap. Reviewers and gamers are already talking about how dated the graphics look on the Wii. It's not really going to get any better.

The 360 is the closest competitor to the PS3, and it's leading with games right now and online play via XBox live. However, if Home delivers what it's supposed to, and it remains free, it will offer an online community and experience above and beyond Live. Plus, the 360 is still hamstrung since it doesn't come standard with the storage capacity of an HD-DVD drive, and not all systems have a hard drive. Those limitations will really show through in the game design department.

Sony is getting it right with the PS3. It will take time for the market to catch up, and they know that. I think the most revealing stat in the sales figures is that the PS2 is still leading console sales. Given the Playstation brand and backward compatibility, many of the PS2 sales today will probably lead to PS3 sales tomorrow.

It's too early and just ridiculous to say the PS3 has somehow "lost" already. It's really just getting started.
kingofgrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007   #18
PCN Senior
The PS3 will win, most 360 games are all FIRST-PERSON SHOOTERS very few are RPGS and other types that is why it will never succeed in Japan and the Wii is a cool console but i got bored after playing Zelda for more than 30 minutes at a friends. The PS3 has variation of game types which in the long term means it will win even though it is a bit expensive but the price dosent bother me i just want one.
auron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007   #19
PCN Addict
yea the price drop will also help
& christmas time

[url]www.myspace.com/camila23[/url][/FONT][/COLOR]
Old 20-04-2007   #20
PCN Addict
One of the major reasons why I"m getting a ps3 is that the online is FREE. IMO, you just can't overstate that enough because for example, my best friends live all over the country, so I can't just have a gaming party some night and invite them all over - but the freedom to play whenever I want with friends (old and new) is awesome!

here's the kicker. Ps3: $500 20gb, or $600 60gb (for now).
xbox 360 - $400 (premium, the only one worth getting - read up on it)
PLUS "premium 12 month gold membership pack - the only way you can have online play" $60 x say 5 years conservative estimate on the life of how long you'll play that console = $300! And you've just spent $700!