Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > Multi-Platform / PC Chat > Multi-Platform / PC Chat > Microsoft Consoles
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 23-07-2009   #1
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
Microsoft to put Blu-Ray addon for 360

this was talked about alot a while ago but it seems that recently the talk has started up again with Toshiba getting into the Blu-Ray market that talk has started that they will make the Blu-Ray addon for the 360
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009   #2
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
I can't see Microsoft changing their minds, even an XBOX website than contacted Microsoft was given the same stance as said before, that they have their own plan. After all then they have to pay royalties to Sony and I don't see them wanting to pay the competition for their format. Microsoft most likely will stick to the argument digital distribution is the future and while it might be, it's not in the near future, the Internet speeds required just aren't accessible to enough people yet and the ones how do have that kind of speed to make it somewhat practical are still restricted by bandwidth limits. It's most likely a pride issue more than anything, well that and a technical issue, the XBOX 360's HDMI port is not HDMI 1.3 compliant where the PlayStation 3 is, which makes a huge difference in the ability to show high definition content, see HDMI as there is less than half the bandwidth to show high definition content on the 360 than the PS3, so in the end Microsoft would be paying royalties and stuck with an inferior player for the millions who already have their 360's.

EDIT: Would love to see it too Jordan, just to be able to rub it in all the fanboys face in it, but it's a dream that probably won't happen due to Microsoft's stubbornness and the technical issues around it too.

Last edited by X_Racer1; 23-07-2009 at 08:18 PM..
X_Racer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009   #3
PCN Senior
PSN ID: jordan123x
If they did so many fanboys would soil their pants. This is a day I hope for.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009   #4
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
i think it may be a bit to late in the consoles life for this to be a wide spreading change
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009   #5
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
doesnt microsoft have to pay them for the codecs or something to get Bluray to run on Windows as it is? or does it now work that way? but it would be interesting to see how it works out and if they woudl give people with an HD-DVD addon like a discount or something if they brought it back idk but i would like to see it woudl help out our Sony
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009   #6
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
doesn't Sony own blu-ray, or would Microsoft just have 2 pay Sony to use their format?
Old 27-07-2009   #7
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
Sony may own the blu ray format but theres lots of webbed connections between them outside the gaming sphere.

Sony still makes laptop computers that run the microsoft OS's
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009   #8
Staff
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0tl3sl4y3r View Post
doesn't Sony own blu-ray, or would Microsoft just have 2 pay Sony to use their format?
Sony doesn't own the Blu-Ray format, but they do have a significant share in it. Nobody knows the exact amount but it is apparently less than 30%.

This is a list of companies that have a share in Blu-Ray, but there is a huge list of contributors:

Apple, Inc.
Dell
HP
Hitachi
Intel Corporation
LG
Mitsubishi Electric
Panasonic
Pioneer
Philips
Samsung
Sharp
Sony
Sun Microsystems
TDK
Thomson
Twentieth Century Fox
Walt Disney
Warner Bros.

The main players from ^this list are Sony, Panasonic, Sharp, Phillips, Pioneer. With Panasonic probably owning the largest share. However Sony Blu-Ray players account for over 90% of the current market because of the PS3.

MS would have to pay Sony for any sales of the Blu-Ray add-on if they made it, they would also have to pay Apple a little (who are their greatest enemy :) ).
Shak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009   #9
MOD
PSN ID: sauberbmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shak View Post
Sony doesn't own the Blu-Ray format,
true but they were one of the main developers of Blu-ray. this may surprise you but sony does own the Logo.

If microsoft is to release a system with a blu-ray player, then they would have to upgrade their systems since the player does require a bit to run.

i think microsoft would rather use something to rival Blu-ray maybe this http://www.red.com/nab/redray/
Sauberbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009   #10
"The New Guy"
PSN ID: AuFordFalcon
no way, if the 360 had blu ray, M$ would admit defeat and actually prove blu ray is important thus showing how much value the ps3 is in the long run. Not a chance.
Old 13-09-2009   #11
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
If they did so many fanboys would soil their pants. This is a day I hope for.
I hope that as well, especially considering how many 360 fanboys are on my campus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAvi View Post
i think it may be a bit to late in the consoles life for this to be a wide spreading change
I think it is too late as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuFordFalcon View Post
no way, if the 360 had blu ray, M$ would admit defeat and actually prove blu ray is important thus showing how much value the ps3 is in the long run. Not a chance.
you wouldn't want them to admit defeat though?
but you are right without a doubt