Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Games
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 30-06-2009   #1
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
Do exclusives still matter?

this is the question posed in an article that i was just reading and they were basically saying that exclusive have become less important over the years because of how the systems are being market like the PS3 is the system if you like HD movies and 360 if you like online and Wii if you like family games. but personally i think that exclusives are still a really important part of selling the system i mean that is really what sets your system apart from the others.

here is the article:

http://www.gamerzink.com/news/exclus...who-cares.aspx
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009   #2
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
I mostly bought PS3 for MGS4 and im happy with that choice as its the best game i ever played. However I honestly dont care what is an exclusive or not as long as its offered on my console of choice. Like Sony said, it doesnt matter if its exclusive or not, the fact taht they got it on PlayStation bundled along with all their first party titles should say alot, and it does to me. There job is to offer us (The PlayStation owners) the best experience possible and in no way during that process does it mean they have to ruin the experience of another console.

I was telling someone on N4G the thing i love about Sony is they are there more for the industry as a whole. Never once have they tried to stab any gamers on any consoles, never once have they tried to ruin an experience for anyone, and have offered the industry more ideas and innovations than anyone. Microsoft is not like that, they will take exclusives, buy out companies, and do what they can to ruin the experience of PS3 in order to sell their console. That to me is wrong and very annoying. We are all gamers and they should appreicate it.

Ninty is riding along on their own boat too, whenever it crashes it crashes, however they are not doing anything to harm the other two companies. They just struck gold and took off running with it, sooner or later Sony or MS will steal it.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009   #3
PCN Master
yea i have not really seen Sony try to ruin it for other companies or anything but i mean when has Microsoft really done that? i mean they bought the DLC from GTA IV but not the game and they are paying to get what were exclusives on their system but they are usually still on the PS3 though. but Sony has just flat out said that they will not buy exclusives or anything like that.
Old 30-06-2009   #4
SuperStaff
The fact that MS is still trying to buy out companies and make them exclusive. The GTA DLC exclusive thing is pretty much what im talking about. Why did they HAVE to make it exclusive? Why did they HAVE to take it away from the millions of gamers on the other console?

Its the reason we have fanboys....
Old 30-06-2009   #5
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
Got to love Microsoft for buying out game companies for their "loyalty" to their console, has Sony bought out Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, etc., no and all three still develop exclusively for Sony, where Microsoft hasn't had a single company choose to publish exclusively for them just because they feel like it, 50 million just to have DLC for their console and Rockstar had specifically stated during development they hated the storage limits the 360 threw at them with discs and the hard drive itself since it's not mandatory on the 360. Even Nintendo hasn't done that, although for them it's kind of pointless, who wants to sign with them, unless you can make games that appeal to very casual gamers and Microsoft won't sign you.
Old 30-06-2009   #6
PCN Master
Naughty Dog did get bought by sony back in 2001 but it is a still a good point. I wouldnt have really had a problem with it if they whould have made the DLC like a timed exclusive.

but it seems like to me that the agent that Rockstar is making for PS3 is like a yeah we had this extra 50 mill sitting around you guys want us to make a game just for the PS3?
Old 30-06-2009   #7
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
I don't see it being like that, after all Sony started it all for Rockstar and Rockstar used to release the Grand Theft Auto games as timed exclusives for the PlayStation 2 without being paid off and nothing has surfaced about being payed off, I think they are doing this the same way, I mean it's obvious they have respect for Sony otherwise they wouldn't have done that for so long and they are fans of the console because it doesn't present them with so many limits unlike Grand Theft Auto IV which was restricted by the 360 version needing to look as good, Agent for them gives them an opportunity to develop a game that pushes the PS3 to the limit, not the 360 and the PS3 just is being half used. Never was aware though Naughty Dog was owned by Sony although they never had been able to make as many games as Insomniac and probably needed the financial support, not that I'm complaining.
Old 30-06-2009   #8
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
Exclusives are highly important, at least for me. It's one of the factors that helps
differentiate competitors.

Whenever someone tells me to pick up an Xbox I tell them "Well, besides gears and halo,
what is there?" and the response is always a resounding "Ummmm...."
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009   #9
SuperStaff
Quote:
Naughty Dog did get bought by sony back in 2001 but it is a still a good point. I wouldnt have really had a problem with it if they whould have made the DLC like a timed exclusive.

but it seems like to me that the agent that Rockstar is making for PS3 is like a yeah we had this extra 50 mill sitting around you guys want us to make a game just for the PS3?
They actually bought the company though. It wasnt "ok we are third party" then sony comes along "no we dont want xbox users to have it so here is some money make it exclusive." BTW they used to work under the same roof as Insomniac haha.

As for Agent, it was voluntary thing like stated above. See MS does have one exclusive that i can respect, Splinter Cell and its because you can kind of see that it did somewhat have a relation with Xbox to an extent. Rockstar has a closer relationship with Sony though. They release games early, they have noted respect for the PS3 architecture, they work closely with sony on almost every game, and love advertising with sony. They respect the sony support and therefore we get Agent on PS3. That saying it will never be on xbox? No it could be at one point, but they did it for Sony and not a dime came out of Sonys pocket.

Same with MGS4. FF14. and the list goes on and on. Sony never once said "here is some money make it exclusive" tehy all came to sony and said "lets make this exclusive, we like your console." The only 2nd party MS has that does the same is Bungie, but i honestly dont believe they ever really broke away from MS.

I do find it funny though, MS basically funded a Rockstar PS3 exclusive haha. In return they get gat tony :) I gurentee those DLC didnt cost 50 mill to make.
Old 30-06-2009   #10
PCN Master
yea that makes sense i mean GTA IV probably would have been timed exclusive if it wasnt for the 50 million but it will be interesting to see what they can do with this game.

"Naughty Dog became a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment, publishers of our Crash franchise and creators of the PlayStation family of consoles, in 2001." that is right fromt he Naughty dog site and the link is posted below

http://www.naughtydog.com/corporate/#/about

yea i knwo it wasnt we dont want Xbox to have it when Sony bought them but i mean they still bought them and they were just releasing games only on the Playstation anyways right?

yeah Dustin but i also think that Bungie is still in the process of getting away from Microsoft i mean they were owned by them and Microsoft owns the Halo rights so if they want to make Halo they have to make it ONLY for Xbox

Last edited by Dipchit02; 30-06-2009 at 03:33 PM..
Old 30-06-2009   #11
PCN Master
Sony had the option to shell out to make a number of games exclusive but opted not to,
as mentioned GTA4 was one of them, but another less known was Assassins Creed
Old 30-06-2009   #12
PCN Master
yea i have heard a few different occasions where Sony has said NO we do not want to pay for this exclusive and we will NOT pay for a game on our system
Old 30-06-2009   #13
SuperStaff
Kinda makes sense that we would get Assassins Creed while xbox gets Splinter cell haha. However even Epic Games (the guys behind Gears of War) made UT3 timed exclusive, and even added more content and features to the PS3 version of the game.

Quote:
yea i knwo it wasnt we dont want Xbox to have it when Sony bought them but i mean they still bought them and they were just releasing games only on the Playstation anyways right?
Yeah but it was free will, then they needed some money when Crash started going downhill. In no way were they harming xbox (or sega for this time period) because the games were never going to xbox to begin with. Same deal if Sony somehow bought Insomniac right now, Insomniac openly said "we will develope for the better console" and chose the PlayStation everytime. Of course i believe Sony owns rights to their current games (Resistance, Ratchet, and the secret game) but still, xbox never saw those games EVER so its not harming them. Let alone the PS3 doesnt restrict any third party games at all, so there shouldnt be a problem with free will and sony doesnt need to pay them off to get the games.
Old 30-06-2009   #14
PCN Master
oh yea i know it isnt harming them and liek you said it was probably more of a lets help out Naughty Dog and buy them so they dont go under type thing or w/e but yea it was in no way going to hurt Sega, Nintendo or Microsoft as the games were exclusive anyways. Gears is the only game that i cannot understand why it is on 360 and not PS3
Old 30-06-2009   #15
SuperStaff
MS Publishes the game and has a close relation with that specific team at Epic. PS3 users never had Gears so its fine, we kinda just look at it and awe. Its a good game and Epic is a good company, but i respect their decision to keep it exclusive.
Old 30-06-2009   #16
PCN Master
yea i was just wondering why they had it and why Epic didnt just say yea put we want to make it for PS3 as well but it looks pretty cool never really played it but i think there is plenty of games on the PS3 so i dont really think to much about Gears
Old 01-07-2009   #17
PCN Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin S. View Post
MS Publishes the game and has a close relation with that specific team at Epic. PS3 users never had Gears so its fine, we kinda just look at it and awe. Its a good game and Epic is a good company, but i respect their decision to keep it exclusive.
As far as cover-shooters go, I'd say uncharted has us more than covered,
not to mention in integrates platforming to
Old 01-07-2009   #18
PCN Master
yeah but i see uncharted more as a platformer than a shooter but i mean there is shooting elements in it but just i woudl call it a platformer first and a shooter second
Old 01-07-2009   #19
PCN Addict
PSN ID: glen421
The answer to the question is simple: Yes exclusives matter. If sony didn't have exclusives it would be in a world of hurt. Sales numbers show that the mulitplatform games sale better on 360. I don't like it but facts are facts.
glen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #20
SuperStaff
That depends on the game. If its a shooter, yeah sales are gonna hurt with PS3 because you have Killzone and Resistance hovering around. A third person action game you have MGS4 and Uncharted sitting there. Platformers Ratchet says hello. It goes on and on.

Many devs already said they kind of hate the fact that Sony has good games like that because it hurts their overall sales.