Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > Multi-Platform / PC Chat > Multi-Platform / PC Chat > PC Gaming
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 22-09-2009   #1
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
Alienware Promises "Shake Video Games to Fundation"

Alienware has promised to announce something at TGS that will shake video games down to their fundation.

Being im a huge Alienware fan and was semi considering buying another comp I cant wait to see what it is. Its most likely a kickas computer (goin out on a limb huh lol) but im hoping its a laptop or some new processor, like possibly invented a PS3 way to run computers?

That and Alienware has the sickest comercials ever, look
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/vi...=1082712602614
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009   #2
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
While I don't believe it's going to be big as their seem to be hyping it, I'm guessing they bring the Intel i7 mobile processor to laptops (I had wanted one when I bought my new laptop but they weren't available and AMD doesn't have any mobile quad core chips yet either), since previously laptops that had the i7 featured the actual desktop processor and couldn't really be considered portable, on average one of these would way 20 pounds.
Old 22-09-2009   #3
SuperStaff
How much do you think that would cost?
Old 22-09-2009   #4
PCN Master
Well the current choice for laptops is the Intel Quad Core Q9000 and it's listed on Newegg for $364.99 and the absolute base desktop version of the i7 is $279.99 so I would imagine a new 45nm i7 laptop chip would have to be at least as much as the current Quad Core mobile chip if not more, and considering my laptop cost $1499 (Canadian) with a Quad Core Q9000 I would consider that the base price for any laptop that would use an i7. CNET also revealed today that Intel is indeed revealing the i7 mobile tomorrow at the Intel Developer Forum so it makes sense.

EDIT: Scratch getting an Alienware for that low with a Quad Core, I checked out customizing an M17x model with a Quad Core and my current specs and it comes out to over $2000 American, even the lesser model to my specs is still just over $1900 American.

Last edited by X_Racer1; 22-09-2009 at 09:16 PM..
X_Racer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009   #5
SuperStaff
My laptop now is running dual core and it was at 1500 when i got it, but they are absolutely great Laptops, ive used HP and Dell and some other before, this one is the best in every area.

Im thinking of just building a desktop, or buying another latptop though. 350 bucks for the processor isnt too bad actually, was expecting it to be closer to 500. However Alienware seems to really favor AMD as they are better with gaming, so i wouldbt surprised if some quad core AMD processor was announced. Just hate to imagine the battery life on something like that haha.
Old 22-09-2009   #6
PCN Master
If it's anything that will be a laptop AMD is out the window, they aren't ready to release a mobile quad core processor till 2010, their main focus has been on getting quad core processors cheaper. Engadget actually revealed that is should be a revised m15x laptop, no word on what will be powering it but my guess is the i7 mobile will be an option at least for this machine.

In my experience though Toshiba has to be the worst brand around, I seen so many of those machines have hardware failures of various types it's ridiculous, Dell hasn't done much better, much worse than Gateway/Acer since they are the same company and HP has done the best out of them all considering the sheer amount of their system I've seen (single most popular brand of computer students use here, despite our computer store not even selling HP computers). No comment on Alienware since most people can't afford them and they require you to order them online.

Last edited by X_Racer1; 22-09-2009 at 09:52 PM..
Old 23-09-2009   #7
SuperStaff
I kinda hate how people think Alienware is Dell, the only area thats true is if you buy a pre built computer at bestbuy. Alienware itself still operates separatly and if you get a custom built machine its still alienware, not dell. Ill agree dell computers are not the way to go.

Toshiba is also horrible in my experiences, I have a friend that bought one immidiatly after his first one fried. Ive told so many people DONT BUY THOSE and they end up getting one because they "are cheap." HP is decent but ive seen several screen problems. Acer is well acer, if your not doing anything, or plan to spend a little bit of money on something decent then what can i say?

As for this, I think its groundbreaking so AMD isnt completely out the door as if that happened people would drop to the floor. However your right its unlikely, if its a revised M15X then that would be cool, its another model of what i have now.
Old 23-09-2009   #8
PCN Master
I did see the major screen problem that can happen with some HP`s, the classic hinge split, it`s a defect with a lot of the cases from that generation although for this one they improved the materials and in my computers case instead of having 2 hinges, one on each side they just have one larger hinge in the middle. Though considering the amount of computers they ship, I still say there better than Dell, I mean they have to be, they have been number 1 in the world now for 3 years for computer sales, after taking that position from Dell.

AMD Quad Core though I would love to see in a laptop, been using AMD in all my computers up until this new machine although they run hot on laptops, my last one`s palm rests would get hot after awhile and the combination of the hot processor and hot graphics card (Nvidia GeForce Go 6150) actually fried my first motherboard, after that it was replaced under extended warranty and a new BIOS flash was introduced to keep the fans running at a higher level but that machine was only dual core at 1.6GHz where this one is quad at 2GHz and runs a lot quieter and cooler, almost completely cool to the touch and it mainly comes down to the fact that AMD has not been in mobile processors as long as Intel has although I sure they have learned things from the Turion processors I`m used to.
Old 23-09-2009   #9
Staff
What is they made an Alienware console?

mind = blown.
Shak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009   #10
PCN Master
It's official, as revealed by CNET and other news websites today, the M15 has been relaunched with the newly revealed Intel i7 mobile processor, you can also now configure your own at Alienware's website but a stock M15 comes with a quad core i7, 3GB of RAM, 512MB of dedicated video memory and 64 bit Windows Vista for $1499 plus applicable taxes, to bring it up to what I have been putting all laptops up to brought the price to $1874. Also the M17X isn't an option anymore, only the M15 or M17 are available and the M17 starts with a worse processor, the Core 2 Duo at a higher price so if you want an Alienware go for the M15.

On the desktop front Alienware introduced the new Aurora and Aurora ALX, which starts at $1299 and $2299, took a look at absolutely maxing the Aurora ALX out, maxed out that computer includes a quad core i7 overclocked at 3.6GHz stock, 24GB of RAM, dual 1GB ATI 5870 video cards, 2TB of hard drive space in secure performance RAID 1+0, dual optical drives (one being a Blu-Ray burner, the other a DVD-ROM) and a Killer Xeno Pro networking card and 1 year warranty. Total cost: $7,829.

Last edited by X_Racer1; 23-09-2009 at 01:53 PM..
Old 23-09-2009   #11
SuperStaff
23 GB of ram is absolutely crazy. However the new laptop is so frigging cheap! I paid 1500 for mine too, then again mine still plays the latest games and runs well so im not complaining. Id love to get a new quad core though...
Old 23-09-2009   #12
PCN Master
I do find only including 3GB of RAM by default a strange move since usually laptops that have 3GB of RAM are at that point because that's the limit of 32 bit computing for addressing and so they include a 32 bit operating system where laptops that have 64 bit operating systems generally include 4GB's by default as it provides good performance for Vista and means the RAM is in dual channel mode for better performance (guess they really need to sell upgrades by any means possible). The other thing to keep in mind and something I forgot to mention is, that i7 included by default is only clocked to 1.6GHz per core which is rather low for a multiple core processor, the higher clock speeds of course only come with paying more for the processor.

24GB of RAM though is insane, even on Newegg, just to purchase that much RAM costs $2,400 since the i7 desktop and laptop processors require DDR3 RAM which at this point barely offers any speed enhancements for the increased costs associated with it. Where if you use a Intel Core 2 Quad or a Phenom Quad Core and therefore can use DDR2 RAM you can get 24GB for $900 and almost the same kind of performance since nothing truly takes advantage of the i7 yet.