Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 01-03-2010   #1
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
The Great PS3 Crash of 2010

Some of you may have tried signing into the PSN today, but have had no
success. Isolated incident? Unfortunately not, potentially, millions of consoles
are having this problem.

The catch is that all evidence is pointing to this problem not of any
consequence to the slim models, many have noticed that their effected
system's clock has gone bonkers during this time, some of them ceasing
to keep time, some not being adjustable.

The symptoms above seem reminiscent of the debacle with Microsoft's Zune
a few years back, where a bug in the device's calendar bricked millions upon
millions of Zunes for about 24 Hrs, all effected Zunes returning to normal
the next day.

So whats this all mean? Games that require a persistent online connection
for whatever reason to play are currently unplayable, perhaps the most high
profile example of this being newcomer 'Heavy Rain'. Most if not all trophy functionality
will be unavailable and some DLC may also be unusable.

Over at NeoGAF, speculation is running high, with the current consensus
being that an internal clock, separate from the OS clock has been mindf*cked,
which if true puts the affected in a messy situation, and
Sony in the middle of a sh*t storm of epic proportions.

Within 24 Hrs we should all know the magnitude of what has happened, hopefully
like the Zune, the consoles should return to normal.

You can follow sony on twitter for up to date news.

Last edited by SaintAvi; 01-03-2010 at 12:30 AM..
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010   #2
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
Mark me down as an affected user of 8001050F, first time in over a week I hook my console up to the Internet to sign in to the network and I can't get in, even worse I say fine I'll play some BioShock 2, apparently this bug affects more than Heavy Rain because loading BioShock 2 you get to the main menu screen but you can't do anything because over that it's trying to load trophies which never finishes, it just stays stuck at 100%.

Although my clock reset itself to the 1st day of the first month of the year 2000, but it definitely sounds similar to the Zune leap year bug and actually similar to the Zune problem is only affecting older models, in our cases it's fat model PlayStation 3's, the Zune it was only 30GB models that were affected.

Old 01-03-2010   #3
1337 Sauce
PSN ID: bharat4ever
here's the latest scoop..

Quote:
The going theory is that the PS3 is storing some form of date in GMT, then modifying that to get whatever you see in the on-screen clock. That modification process seems to be fine; the system can take 2/28/2010, 9PM GMT, add four hours, and get 3/1/2010, 1AM random time zone.
What’s apparently wrong, as speculation goes, is when the internal GMT-tracking rolls over to 3/1. It’s either not rolling, or rolling to 2/29, at which point a system tries to add/subtract from 2/29, which it can’t do because the front-end calendar doesn’t have a 2/29/2010. Everything started to collapse around 4PM PDT, which I think is 12AM GMT.
And the PS3 launched in 2006; it’s hit four 2/28s so far. 2007 and 2009 were odd-numbered years; 2008 was an even, and a leap year. 2010 is the first even non-leap-year the system’s been around for. If some sort of base-level math is choking on itself, it may have ruled out the odd 2007 and 2009 successfully, but is convinced the even 2010 is a leap year (this part I’m less sure of, but is why leap year could theoretically come into play at some point).
So one possible solution will be to wait for a day when the PS3s will cross the dreaded date, and they should start working again... Hopefully
bharat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010   #4
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
Hey Bharat, yours has gone down over in India as well?
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010   #5
1337 Sauce
PSN ID: bharat4ever
yeah bro... though i didn't have the extreme cases of having trophies and themes corrupted, but i was not able to connect to PSN
bharat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010   #6
PCN Master
Your trophies can't get corrupted though, all of them are stored on the PlayStation Network servers, not your PlayStation 3. Sign in to a PlayStation website and they will all still be there regardless of what your PlayStation 3 is doing or if you don't feel like signing in just go to http://us.playstation.com/publictrop...name=yourPSNID (obviously replace yourPSNID with your own PSN Name) and it will show you all the trophies you earned to date that are synced to the PlayStation Network Servers. The only potential thing that could happen is your saves could be corrupted so future trophies can't be earned but you always have your earned trophies because they are tied to your account.
Old 01-03-2010   #7
"The New Guy"
PSN ID: fatlifeforlife
9 hours since sonys last reply. wonder whats up
Old 01-03-2010   #8
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
yeah mine was fine all last night when i was trying to get on at about 11 PM Eastern
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010   #9
PCN Addict
PSN ID: glen421
@X_racer, I hope you are just trying different TV's during this PSN outage. You know you can't play PS3 on SD right, that baby needs to be hooked up to a HDTV so it can dispaly all it's tru glory.LOL

How long has this been going on? I was last on my PS3 Saturday morning EST.

Last edited by glen421; 01-03-2010 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: 10 yard penalty!!!!Never mind I just read bharat's post.
glen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010   #10
Staff
I haven't tested mine at all, if this is happening even if you don't connect to PSN, then it is definitely an internal PS3 issue. Definitely seems like the Zune bug.
Shak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010   #11
PCN Master
didnt the zune bug happen on the last day of Feb as well?
Old 01-03-2010   #12
PCN Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by glen421 View Post
@X_racer, I hope you are just trying different TV's during this PSN outage. You know you can't play PS3 on SD right, that baby needs to be hooked up to a HDTV so it can dispaly all it's tru glory.LOL
Being a broke college student living in residence doesn't help, that's the TV we get with the room and believe it or not that's not a major downgrade. In my entire PlayStation 3's life the best it has ever gotten for video was a video projector back in high school on gaming days, other than that it's been hooked up to the s*** TV in that photo or a 20 inch Sony CRT flatscreen TV with component input.

But anyway yes the Zune bug happened in February, more specifically at the end of the month because it was a leap year bug and the day of a leap year doesn't happen until the end of the month.

Good news to report though, BioShock 2 is now working on my console, I don't know why either since the only thing I changed was the clock, I set it manually and it still isn't correct after being turned off. Bad news is once I turned on BioShock 2 and started playing I noticed the section for BioShock 2 trophies had vanished into thin air. Luckily I've barely gotten into the story yet so I haven't missed out on anything major even if I have to restart after the problem is fixed.

You know what's great too, I upload a small video to YouTube to help inform people about what's going on and my inbox is just getting slammed with comments, I left it alone for less than 3 hours and my inbox has 16 comments waiting for my approval and a video response, but I digress.

EDIT: Sony has an update on the situation, basically they believe it's a clock issue and hope to have it resolved within 24 hours.

Last edited by X_Racer1; 01-03-2010 at 12:50 PM..
X_Racer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010   #13
PCN Senior
PSN ID: xEN7xASSASSINx
the ps3 slim doesnt seem like much of a donwgrade now eh? :P ive been on killing all the noobs :D haha

on another note, i have a theory!

apparently not long ago geo hotz found another exploit that gives him access to all the code etc and OS.. without hardware.. we also know he released the exploit too..so other hackers know this knowledge lol so what im trying to say is i think it could be something to do with this.. maybe theyve hacked the psn with something or other causing the ps3s to do this.. i KNOW its a longshot, but its the fact the exploits only work on fat ps3s and this only affects fat ps3s..

like i say its just a theory :)
Old 01-03-2010   #14
PCN Addict
So let me get this straight.

Toyotas are killing people but they say it's safe to drive. The PS3 can't tell time so they tell us not to use it. Am I missing something?
Old 01-03-2010   #15
PCN Addict
Hey just wanted to add. Be prepared for the xbox fanboys to come out of the woodwork on this one. I'm already seeing posted comments across the internet by "those people" and it ain't cause they what to lend a helping hand. If you you know what I mean.
Old 01-03-2010   #16
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipchit02 View Post
yeah mine was fine all last night when i was trying to get on at about 11 PM Eastern
yeah mine was fine last night as well but I haven't touched it this morning since Sony's telling us not to turn them on
Old 01-03-2010   #17
PCN Master
oh really i did not know that they were telling us to not turn them on today but i have been gone all day and will not be home until probably after 11 PM tonight
Old 01-03-2010   #18
PCN Master
So far it's been pretty tame on the video front, I've only removed two comments for saying basically "I'm buying the XBOX 360 because the PS3, blah, blah, blah". Most of the people so far are simply looking for answers or just status updates which is more than understandable as it is a frustrating problem.

Also though I'm unaware of what console members who aren't experiencing problems own, my guess is they own later model PlayStation 3 "fat" consoles such as the 2 USB port 80GB model which because they are newer hardware might not be affected, or fewer are affected.
Old 01-03-2010   #19
PCN Addict
@Assassin---You could probably go one step further and say Sony knew this was going to happen hence the slim is not effected. How is that anyways? Same OS right? They could call Sony's Timegate (after the Watergate) Conspiracy

Why wouldn't the programming just be updated via network anyway? The time should be a "writeable point". They should have servers per time zone there isn't that many. The earth is 2/3 water. This is a big gaff and their answer to 25+million glossy PS3 users is don't use it. You've got to be kidding.

They need to get this fixed quick,fast and in a hurry. I woldn't want to be a Sony code writer right now. If this isn't fixed by tomorrow the xbox fanboys are going to have fun with this one.
Old 01-03-2010   #20
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipchit02 View Post
oh really i did not know that they were telling us to not turn them on today but i have been gone all day and will not be home until probably after 11 PM tonight
read the news section here or the playstation blog for more
Quote:
Originally Posted by glen421 View Post
Hey just wanted to add. Be prepared for the xbox fanboys to come out of the woodwork on this one. I'm already seeing posted comments across the internet by "those people" and it ain't cause they what to lend a helping hand. If you you know what I mean.
lolz thats exactly what I was saying to my brother on msn, the 360 fanboys are gonna be giving us hell on it, thats why I haven't told too much people about it on places like facebook because I have friends on there who are 360 fanboys