Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Games
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 09-02-2011   #1
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
GuitarHero Takes a Dirt Nap

After being milked to death, the franchise known as Guitar Hero is no more.

CNN has the details

Quote:
The video game "Guitar Hero," once believed to be helping revive rock a few years ago in the hip-hop era, will jam no longer.

Activision Blizzard Inc. announced Wednesday it will cease publishing the game this year.

"Due to continued declines in the music genre, the company will disband Activision Publishing's 'Guitar Hero' business unit and discontinue development on its 'Guitar Hero' game for 2011," the company said in a statement.

The decision was "based on the desire to focus on the greatest opportunities that the company currently has to create the world's best interactive entertainment experiences," the firm said.

The cancellation came as the Santa Monica, California-based company announced a record operating cash flow of $1.4 billion in 2010. Its revenues last year from digital channels grew more than 20 percent to $1.5 billion.

The once-popular video game was even featured in the Vince Vaughn film "Couples Retreat" in 2009.

As rock struggled against rap music, video games like "Guitar Hero" and "Rock Band" were credited with creating a new appreciation for rock 'n' roll among the millennial generation born in the '90s who didn't know much about Aerosmith, Pat Benatar and other musicians of the '70s and '80s.

At the time, Geoff Mayfield, senior analyst and director of charts for Billboard magazine, said he saw a direct cause and effect for some of the artists who licensed their songs to "Guitar Hero."

"A few weeks ago, when the game featuring Aerosmith ('Guitar Hero: Aerosmith') came out, there was more than a 40 percent increase in their catalog sales," Mayfield said in 2008.

The video games even increased interest in guitars, according to the nationwide Guitar Center chain. Bars held "Guitar Hero" nights. And schools like Roosevelt High in Los Angeles, where most teens have grown up on a steady diet of hip-hop and R&B, sponsored three-day "Guitar Hero Face-Off" in its auditorium, blaring heavy metal.

For now, the art of playing air guitar -- and "Guitar Hero" -- seems a quaint bygone.
Activision ran this thing into the ground, I think in 2009 or 2010 there was
a new guitar hero game every 3-4 months. RIP GH
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #2
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
All I can say is thank goodness it's over. We've seen enough Guitar Hero games to last us a lifetime and as much as Activision is too stupid to realize it, they are directly responsible for the death of the series. If they had of gone the Rock Band route and just released more DLC instead of band specific games, they would have at least lasted longer.

Ah well it leaves the music genre to Rock Band now, so as long as they keep up the support in DLC there, I'm happy as Rock Band was my choice anyway.
Old 10-02-2011   #3
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
it's about time they killed that series in my opinion.
I have to agree with x_racer, Activision should have gone the way EA went with Rock Band with a good stream of DLC instead of all the band specific band games.
RIP GH
Old 10-02-2011   #4
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
Of course the same thing will happen to COD. Harmonix didn't like Activisions plan and wanted to be succesful, and look at Rock Band. Activision didnt even want to add drums to Guitar Hero....

Saw this coming a couple years ago to be honest. Two down (tony hawk, guitar hero) one to go.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #5
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
I honestly hope they kill off CoD now too, after Black Ops, it's gotten way too old if you ask me, maybe even after MW2.
I think that the CoD series would be so much better if they just stopped releasing new games and just started putting out map packs that can be used with any.

I highly doubt that will happen though