Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > Multi-Platform / PC Chat > Multi-Platform / PC Chat > PC Gaming
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 08-10-2009   #1
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
Got Windows 7!

I got Windows 7 Ultimate, final release. Yeah its early lol, im hosting a party to help Microsoft sell copies of it to others. Being im the freindly tech guy (everyone i know comes to me for computer help) it should be easy to do. Its a signature edition signed by Steve Ballmer if that means anything lol.

Anyways its defently ALOT nicer than Vista. Its WAY less of a system resource hog, that is the absolute number one reason I wanted it. My computer boots up faster and programs load alot faster now. Not only that but they implemented a preview shot for pretty much everything, your programs, your internet links, photos, folders etc...extremely nice and works really well. I also like how the new task bar is. I used to use Rocket Dock, which was similar to the desktop of Apple computer, but i hate how those take up part of your desktop and usually get in the way. Instead everything is on the task bar (kinda like minimized programs in vista) except they are just logo's and you can scroll over them to preview or not. Of course everything has the glass feel to it as well, see through, looks nice.

Anything you guys want to know about it? If anything, all I have to say is its the absolute best OS on the market by far.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #2
PCN Content Provider
PSN ID: Y2DAZZ
I just got Windows 7, for free thanks to Microsofts Academic Alliance thing here in the UK, I quite like 7 compared to Vista, still probably not as good as Mac's Snow Leopard but meh, it'll do.
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #3
PCN Senior
PSN ID: jordan123x
Get Snow Leopard!
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #4
Staff
I should be getting a free license for this soon, but I don't want to wipe my computer and start again, so I might wait until it get's corrupted (which it always does) and then install it.
Shak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #5
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
so I should get windows 7?
how much better than windows xp is it?
thats what I have on my laptop
Old 08-10-2009   #6
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
Windows 7 is worth every penny, it's what Windows Vista should have been and some more although Vista isn't terrible either, I'm technically on my third Vista machine. MSNDAA will be of use to me as well, another great advantage of being a student, you can get Windows 7 now although my copy of 7 through MSDNAA is going to my house since I already get a free copy when it releases thanks to the Vista Upgrade Program that came with new laptops, so I do have to wait till it releases. Windows 7 is even going to become the choice of operating system for netbooks, really says something about it's performance, a few people I know on campus even have it already installed onto their netbooks (again thanks to MSDNAA) and have nothing but praise for it and those came with Windows XP preloaded. Also check with your school, you should have access to MSNDAA, it's usually part of your tuition, although online I failed to come up with a page for MSDNAA for UOIT although it might be because it's such a new school or maybe it's not indexed by Google. If you want to see what it looks like though here's my school's page, you can't download anything from it though, the account comes from your school.
Old 08-10-2009   #7
SuperStaff
Lol at the Snow Lepard comments, just remember Microsoft did this with all the comments about Vista and all the praise about XP, combined them and made a great OS. I think X Racer said it all, even I have yet to hear a bad comment about 7. I have a couple apple fanboy friends that couldnt even find anything logicaly bad about it.

Ill have to find my schools benefits or something, i still have another computer thats running Vista. If you learn how to use Vista it isnt bad, but it does become a resource hog for sure compared to 7. My other computer is a few years old and somewhat dated, so I want to see how 7 runs on it, needs to be refreshed anyways.
Old 08-10-2009   #8
PCN Master
how do u get the student benefits?
I could sure use some and what do they include?
Old 08-10-2009   #9
PCN Master
What I was referring to is the Microsoft Developer Network Academic Alliance or MSDNAA for short, MSDNAA is a program that the school you go to can pay a license fee for every year to allow students, faculty and tech related departments to get fully licensed downloads of Microsoft software (But before you go that's a huge score I'll detail what you can get, you can get full copies of Windows XP, Vista and 7 (x86 and x64), Expression software and various Microsoft programming software, no copies of Office though).

Now I found out UOIT does indeed have a software page although it doesn't appear to be working yet or maybe only functions with an account. Now I'm not absolutely positive but generally the accounts are only handed out to tech course students (I'm covered because I'm learning about Windows XP and Windows Server as part of my program), but if you contact the PA program administrator at your school, [email protected] you might be able to get an account.

As for Dustin, I don't know the school so I'll give you the school search page but the same as I described before, you'll have to contact PA of the MSDNAA program at your school, it's no the support page of your school's MSDNAA page (if you have one) to find out if you can get access. Also if anyone does get a copy of Windows 7 through MSDNAA, it can't be used for commercial purposes (so anything you do on that copy of Windows can't earn you money, well except things like eBay of course), only non-profit works and personal use but it's yours for life. That's why I'm waiting for my full copy to come from HP and giving my MSDNAA copy to my computer at home, I don't want my laptop tied down with those kinds of restrictions.

MSDNAA will come in handy though because once I get my Windows 7 copy I plan on completely wiping my machine, except for the recovery partition and first installing Windows XP (just for good measure) and then Windows 7 in dual boot (completely leaving Vista behind, it's a fine operating system but I won't need it with the release of 7).

Last edited by X_Racer1; 19-10-2009 at 11:30 PM..
X_Racer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #10
SuperStaff
Well my college isnt listed, no suprise there. They charge you an arm and a leg to get in and offer absolutely nothing that isnt basic. However my high school i used to go to is listed, what can i do with that?
Old 08-10-2009   #11
PCN Master
thanks x_racer
u obviously went out of your way, I'll check it out when i get time
Old 08-10-2009   #12
PCN Master
Not a lot, even if you can get your old high school to help out, MSDNAA has different subscriptions but all high schools can subscribe to is the High School Subscription which only allows you to obtain Visual Studio, Expression software and SQL Server. Even worse a high school can only offer software on disc, they can't have an online download center like what colleges and universities can have.

Also on a separate note about the MSDNAA, if you have access or get access, any software you download at first will be an .iso file you have to burn to CD or DVD, after the disc is burned you can then use it to install whatever you downloaded.

Last edited by X_Racer1; 08-10-2009 at 11:06 PM..
Old 09-10-2009   #13
Playstation ZEALOT
PSN ID: Cyphers_Lock
I'm looking forward to receiving my free upgrade when it comes out on the 22nd.
Old 14-10-2009   #14
PCN Master
Thanks to an e-mail from one of my professors, came across a deal direct from Microsoft for Office 2007, you can purchase it for $59.95 US, $64.00 Canadian, or 38.95 for the UK in pounds and it's the ultimate version, so in short it includes everything. The only catch, similar to the situation I described previously about MSDNAA, your school has to be on the list of schools eligible for this offer. Here's the American list and the Canadian list, the UK store doesn't provide one.
Old 14-10-2009   #15
PCN Master
I'll try to get my hands on it then
Old 21-10-2009   #16
PCN Master
Alright well I found something else, even if your school is too cheap too get an MSDNAA subscription Microsoft still has something for you if you want a copy of Windows 7. Simply provide an .edu e-mail address or be on a certain list of colleges/universities and Microsoft will send you a copy of Windows 7 for the princely sum of $30. Deal applies only to Americans though, but apparently other countries are coming soon.

Also, remember as of tomorrow, at the time of this post, Windows 7 is officially available to all in the world and anyone who's waiting for a copy to ship, as of tomorrow your order can ship.

Last edited by X_Racer1; 21-10-2009 at 08:03 PM..
Old 21-10-2009   #17
PCN Master
I saw a sign in my residence that I can get it at the campus bookstore for $7, I'm gonna go check it out sometime, if its true, I'll post a thread

Last edited by m0tl3sl4y3r; 21-10-2009 at 11:30 PM..
m0tl3sl4y3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009   #18
PCN Master
Well since I wrote about netbook performance and what I knew from runing the RC Candidate of 7 I have had a chance to install it on my home PC, it's darn amazing what Microsoft have accomplished, everything on my computer is completely supported and while it didn't directly download my printer's drivers it took me straight to the download page for my printer and right out of the box it supports my keyboard's volume functions and music controls. Performance is better than Vista on the same computer (it's currently running dual boot Vista and Windows 7, although the Vista system does have a lot of HP crapware on it, Windows 7 is clean) and the XP Mode might come in useful if you've got any stubborn programs that need XP and don't happen to have a spare XP license sitting around (otherwise software such as VirtualBox works fine, but XP Mode is only supported on Windows 7 Professional, Ultime or Business, not Home Premium or Starter). Overall it's the most stable Windows operating system I ever used and probably the one I'm also most impressed by, Vista was a fine operating system, but this gives Apple users a reason to reconsider why they buy Apple computers, even Apple themselves are having problems finding ways to run new ads, the two latest ads I seen simply are if you're going to take the effort of moving to 7 move to Mac and that Windows has promised things would be better with each operating system and this time around it is.