Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion > Technical Support
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 07-11-2010   #1
"The New Guy"
[SOLVED] Blinking Red Light (YLOD)

According to Sony Service Center my system needs to be sent in to be repaired. Because of this all data on the Hard Drive will be lost.

Is there any way to recover data from a "dead" PS3. I understand that this will void my opportunity to have Sony Repair it. However, this is the second time I've had to send my system in for repairs and the cost is now $180.

If I can recover the data I'd likely just buy a new system, and then load the old data onto it.

Or just buy a new HD and format it in the orginal system then load recovered data after the fact. I'll consider this option because I'll lose backward compatibilty if I abandon this system which is an 80g console.

Any advice or direction would be most appreciated.
Twoteams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010   #2
Staff
The only way to recover the data is if you have done a data backup using your PS3 (which is now dead). There is literally no other way to get the data, as it is encrypted and locked to the specific PS3.

If you want to get your data back, you will need to either try gilsky's YLOD fix (google it, there should be videos and a pdf file as well), or get it fixed by someone in your area and back up using the PS3's backup utility. Then you could sell it on ebay and buy a PS3 slim and restore the backup on that one.

When my console YLODed I tried everything. i assumed that if I got a 2.5" SATA enclosure for my PS3 drive that I would be able to pull the data off on to my PC, but it is completely encrypted, meaning you cannot get it back.
Shak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010   #3
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
Before we were able to just switch the hard drives then set up the users to be the same, but that no longer works.

My PS3 broke too recently, so I took the hard drive out and threw it in a new one i just got and it says "hard drive needs to be formated" thus all the info is lost. Put the original one back in and its fine. Really stupid.

So like Shak said unless you back it up, or can somehow get the PS3 to turn on and use the "transfer utitily" your screwed.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010   #4
"The New Guy"
Dustin and Shak,

Thankyou for your timely responses. It is most appreciated. I have only one other question.

What is a recommended technique for finding a "local" fix it person.
Old 08-11-2010   #5
Staff
No real technique, best thing to do is go around your local area and find an electrician (possibly an independent electrical shop) and ask if they would be able to do it (reflow the board on your PS3).

I would remove your HDD before you give it in though.
Old 13-11-2010   #6
"The New Guy"
Shak and Dustin,

I was able to repair my 80mg console using the "YLOD Fix" you mentioned. By the way the blinking red light problem and the YLOD problem are one in the same. I googled Gilsky's, and found it. I guess the technician's term is "reflow" the motherboard which is done by applying heat to certain parts. I did this and it worked for about 20 minutes which unfortunately was about 20 minutes less than I needed to get a complete backup performed. I then found another site that suggested "reflowing" the motherboard, but using flux in addition to the heat.

This has worked so far. I was able to obtain a full back up, and the boys then played with the console for the next 4 or 5 hours without a hitch.

This definitely voids any warranty, but I was able to recover my data!!!! Now that $180 can go towards buying a new system. The one draw back is that if and when the 80mg console finally dies we will lose backward compatibility.

Thanks for all your help. Is there a way to indicate that this thread/problem has been solved.
Old 14-11-2010   #7
Staff
I'll edit the forum title, glad to hear you got it fixed. Just for future reference, what exactly did you do with the flux? I've heard of this method, but it wasn't around when my console YLODed.

Tags
dead console, game saves, recover, recover game saves