Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > General Chat > Off Topic
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 15-06-2009   #1
PCN Addict
PSN ID: glen421
Circuit City lives (on the internet)

Has anybody noticed that CircuitCity.com has relaunched. I didn't see any good deals though. I was wondering why that was since it is out of buisness.
glen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009   #2
"The New Guy"
PSN ID: thegiblet75
Its just the company behind TigerDirect.com - they also bought the assets of CompUSA - including some physical stores.
giblet75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009   #3
PCN Addict
PSN ID: glen421
Ok. Thanks for the info.
glen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009   #4
World Domination
Site Admin
PSN ID: Nicarlo
Companies that have a recognizable name will never just disappear .. almost never. It will be sold and then both and then sold and then both again buy other companies that will want to use its name to sell their similar products (like bestbuy or tigerdirect). its just the way the cookie crumbles!
Nicarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009   #5
"The New Guy"
There's always someone who wants to buy a company after they close. Even if the company went bankrupt. I don't see why they do, because if they keep it the same it'll probably go out again.
sDwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009   #6
World Domination
Site Admin
PSN ID: Nicarlo
not true. If a larger company buys something like circuit city, they already have the contacts and products in the industry. The next time they order something they will order more of it since they now have more of it and therefore getting it usually for cheaper and bringing up profit margins. Plus a company doesnt have to buy a bankrupt company, they can simply buy just the assets and usually for VERY cheap while keeping the same logo but different name. Instead of circuit City, they would be called for example Circuit City by BestBuy. Its all perfectly legal and the millions of dollars of debt that they had no longer exsist because in papers "Circuit City" no longer exists.

Loopholes in the system eh?

P.S, it like to add that this isn't necessary what happen to Circuit City
Nicarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009   #7
PCN Senior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicarlo View Post
not true. If a larger company buys something like circuit city, they already have the contacts and products in the industry. The next time they order something they will order more of it since they now have more of it and therefore getting it usually for cheaper and bringing up profit margins. Plus a company doesnt have to buy a bankrupt company, they can simply buy just the assets and usually for VERY cheap while keeping the same logo but different name. Instead of circuit City, they would be called for example Circuit City by BestBuy. Its all perfectly legal and the millions of dollars of debt that they had no longer exsist because in papers "Circuit City" no longer exists.

Loopholes in the system eh?

P.S, it like to add that this isn't necessary what happen to Circuit City
Well said.
That's unfortunately also one of the major reasons smaller retail companies are going under... its becoming a corporate game that no one else can afford to play anymore. But is that a good or bad thing, I wonder, for us the consumers?
EIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009   #8
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
Quote:
Originally Posted by sDwh View Post
There's always someone who wants to buy a company after they close. Even if the company went bankrupt. I don't see why they do, because if they keep it the same it'll probably go out again.
i dont know if you have seen Tommy Boy (great Chris Farley movie) but there is a guy named Zelinski and he is trying to buy Callahan auto because they are going under and he says like why would keep the factory open when all i want is the damn box.
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009   #9
"The New Guy"
PSN ID: thegiblet75
Actually, they bought the name and their mailing list.
I was on the mailing list so I got information, and I said "Wow, that looks just like the tiger direct site, just different colors".
giblet75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009   #10
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
Being a consumer will suck here when the recession ends. Obamas "brilliant" plan to keep pumping money in every failing company he can find is making our dollar value go WAY down. Thus when the recession ends we will hit a inflation period, things will be pricy! If corporate companies take over too much right now, its just adding extra pain to the matter.

It may be good or bad for business though. At least we wont see companies closing down.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009   #11
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
I do remember reading around the time the bank bailout came around that the U.S debt was now over 10 trillion dollars and now you have the Auto bailout as well, by the time Obama finishes with his bailout's I have a feeling the debt would be around 15-20 trillion dollars. Although it's not like we aren't in debt either, although it's only going to grow to $700 billion this year with what our government wants to spend on bailing out the auto industry and on infrastructure spending, otherwise we wouldn't have grown the debt at all, in fact we might have even paid some more off. Just imagine though the U.S in 20 years, taxpayers money will be going to just paying off the enormous interest involved with so much debt.

I do remember Tommy Boy though, I love how in the end the supposed idiot Tommy completely outsmarts Zelinski, saves Callahan Auto and gets his girl, too bad that doesn't happen in real life. I mean EA bought how many game developers before the recession hit and if it wasn't for the recession and Take Two's resistance we would have lost another, which we don't need. There's enough large corporations, we don't need them any larger or to lose anymore innovative small companies, it's the small companies that bring us the innovations and service we want.
X_Racer1 is offline   Reply With Quote