Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Games
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 16-06-2009   #1
PCN Senior
My Review of Fuel, Whats your Take?

That game was beyond garbage... here's why

--Broken GPS
The game will often tell you to drive through a lake... or make complete, random 180s in the middle of a turn... so much for smart GPS...

--Shoddy Visuals
Woohoo, they got the bloom lighting right... good for them. The land is barren, repetitive and boring, color palette is extremely limited unless you're driving at noon, and you'll see retarded props put in randomly. This does NOT look like a current gen game at all

--Senseless open driving
you can literally drive for 10 minutes and never see anything... or arduously drive up a cliff to find a vista point... really? a vista point? Sure they may have the biggest virtual land in existence... but why do I care? there's absolutely nothign there. And the collectibles usually amount to paint jobs and the like

--Retarded "make your own Race"
Oh wow this was fun... not. You can make impossible races. No kidding, you can make a race that is impossible to finish... and then upload it online. Wow

--Poor mechanics
No damage animations or physics, vehicles bounce off each other and obstacles like pinballs with no ill effects of ramming each other... rain, snow or torrential rains? no problem, the driving REMAINS THE SAME... even the tornado section offers no driving changes.. only throwing obstacles at you. Chopper chase? Joke

This level of crap should not be present in the current gen... and I'm all the more surprised at FUEL's terribadness (yes I made up a word for this game) due to its impressive pedigree from Codemasters. Normally, thos wouldnt sting that much... but we here at PCN gave it a 7.9?! Wow... just wow

Last edited by EIN; 16-06-2009 at 10:50 PM..
EIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009   #2
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
lol you seem pretty strongly about this game and its craptasticness but sadly i cant help out your argument because i have never played the game
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009   #3
PCN Senior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipchit02 View Post
lol you seem pretty strongly about this game and its craptasticness but sadly i cant help out your argument because i have never played the game
...sigh...
so why post at all

this was the kind of thing SaintAvi and I were talking about... stop making useless posts

anyone else have an opinion?
Old 17-06-2009   #4
PCN Senior
PSN ID: jordan123x
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIN View Post
That game was beyond garbage... here's why

--Broken GPS
The game will often tell you to drive through a lake... or make complete, random 180s in the middle of a turn... so much for smart GPS...

--Shoddy Visuals
Woohoo, they got the bloom lighting right... good for them. The land is barren, repetitive and boring, color palette is extremely limited unless you're driving at noon, and you'll see retarded props put in randomly. This does NOT look like a current gen game at all

--Senseless open driving
you can literally drive for 10 minutes and never see anything... or arduously drive up a cliff to find a vista point... really? a vista point? Sure they may have the biggest virtual land in existence... but why do I care? there's absolutely nothign there. And the collectibles usually amount to paint jobs and the like

--Retarded "make your own Race"
Oh wow this was fun... not. You can make impossible races. No kidding, you can make a race that is impossible to finish... and then upload it online. Wow

--Poor mechanics
No damage animations or physics, vehicles bounce off each other and obstacles like pinballs with no ill effects of ramming each other... rain, snow or torrential rains? no problem, the driving REMAINS THE SAME... even the tornado section offers no driving changes.. only throwing obstacles at you. Chopper chase? Joke

This level of crap should not be present in the current gen... and I'm all the more surprised at FUEL's terribadness (yes I made up a word for this game) due to its impressive pedigree from Codemasters. Normally, thos wouldnt sting that much... but we here at PCN gave it a 7.9?! Wow... just wow
People have different opinions! It's crazy I know.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009   #5
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
Chalk it up to seeing something in the game that appealed to the reviewer more than
the masses.

I remember back as a tike on the N64 I picked up California Speed which was averaging 4's and 5's, but I enjoyed the hell outta it :}

It was the definition of arcade racing, going through space ships, golf courses and
racing up the support beams of bridges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CFT19RYjj8

There a demo for fuel up? Ill give it a try
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009   #6
Staff
PSN ID: tonzie
I'll leave this thread up, but I don't appreciate you insulting my opinion EIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAvi View Post
Chalk it up to seeing something in the game that appealed to the reviewer more than
the masses.

I remember back as a tike on the N64 I picked up California Speed which was averaging 4's and 5's, but I enjoyed the hell outta it :}

It was the definition of arcade racing, going through space ships, golf courses and
racing up the support beams of bridges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CFT19RYjj8

There a demo for fuel up? Ill give it a try
Man, I had that game too. Loved it! :) Sadly though, there is no FUEL demo on the PSN.

Last edited by tonzie; 17-06-2009 at 02:01 AM..
tonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009   #7
PCN Master
Found the spaceship level http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5pVh...eature=related

That game was ahead of its time as far as customization went, even though it was
only colors
Old 17-06-2009   #8
Staff
HAHA I think I actually remember that!
Old 17-06-2009   #9
PCN Master
Remember the level that was just kinda a sandbox? It was waay at the end of the game,
but yea, it when I think back on it it had some concepts that would go on to be
real big in the future.

On another note, wtf there was a bulldozer and forklift in this game?

Last edited by SaintAvi; 17-06-2009 at 03:52 AM..
Old 17-06-2009   #10
Staff
I can't even remember if I beat it or not hahaha, and wow that's odd, I don't remember those either. I do remember that game being awesome though. I wish I could find it again.
Old 17-06-2009   #11
Playstation ZEALOT
PSN ID: Cyphers_Lock
"impressive pedigree???". OMG WTF BBQ....Obviously EIN has never had the displeasure of playing Damnation. Impressive....right...
Old 17-06-2009   #12
PCN Senior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
"impressive pedigree???". OMG WTF BBQ....Obviously EIN has never had the displeasure of playing Damnation. Impressive....right...
I was referring to its racing pedigree, as we are dealing with a racing game; DIRT and GRID from previous years.

And I havent insulted you at all Tony... I'm questioning whoever is the gaming editor here at PCN who let that one in. And unfortunately for Tonzie, the industry seems to be agreeing with me. Metacritic ranks it at 6.7, while IGN, 1UP and GT (the people who know best) straight up failed the hunk of junk in the 50s. We defintely broke the mold on this one... I can almost admire Tony's courage in stickign with his beliefs here. He voiced his opinion on the review, but threatens to close the thread of a someone who thinks differently.

Like Jordan said, its crazy... people have differing opinions.

lollerskates @ California Speed... Ima try and find my N64 again now. Good video find, I completely forgot about that one
Old 17-06-2009   #13
PCN Master
Quote:
lollerskates @ California Speed... Ima try and find my N64 again now. Good video find, I completely forgot about that one
The N64 is possibly my favorite console of all time, Mario 64,Ocarina of time
+Majora's mask, Banjo Kazooie, I really want a platformer revival
Old 17-06-2009   #14
Playstation ZEALOT
Ah, many humble apologies kind Sir, I thought you were talking in general. As I've not played FUEL I can't say. Will say though I LOVE Burnout and will probably get GT5
Old 17-06-2009   #15
Staff
Haha I didn't threaten to close the thread, I was saying I wouldn't. You may not have meant it as an insult, but the title and last line alone seem pretty insulting to me. But yes, after playing the game, thinking about how I would rate it, and looking at the scores IGN and 1up gave it, I did need some courage to write the review the way I did. Our editor wouldn't stop something from going up just because it goes against the majority. We at PCN aren't biased like that, we'll tell it how is it and how we see it, regardless of what the biggies thing.
Old 17-06-2009   #16
PCN Senior
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonzie View Post
Haha I didn't threaten to close the thread, I was saying I wouldn't. You may not have meant it as an insult, but the title and last line alone seem pretty insulting to me. But yes, after playing the game, thinking about how I would rate it, and looking at the scores IGN and 1up gave it, I did need some courage to write the review the way I did. Our editor wouldn't stop something from going up just because it goes against the majority. We at PCN aren't biased like that, we'll tell it how is it and how we see it, regardless of what the biggies thing.
Thats like saying I wont shoot you, but Ive got a gun. Why bring it up at all?

If you see it as an insult, then so be it. That was not the intention. Now I aint saying we should always conform to the big boys, but if your reviews are so radically different from people who have been in the industry for untold years, who have a daily experience in the field, who are also paid professionals rather than volunteers... it brings your perspective into question. Whether bias plays a role in the matter should be irrelevant... the game is either good or bad on a technical level first rather than aesthetic/personal choice second.

FUEL was technically bad.

Last edited by EIN; 17-06-2009 at 07:14 PM..
Old 17-06-2009   #17
PCN Senior
PSN ID: jordan123x
Quote:
Thats like saying I wont shoot you, but Ive got a gun. Why bring it up at all?

If you see it as an insult, then so be it. That was not the intention. Now I aint saying we should always conform to the big boys, but if your reviews are so radically different from people who have been in the industry for untold years, who have a daily experience in the field, who are also paid professionals rather than volunteers... it brings your perspective into question. Whether bias plays a role in the matter should be irrelevant... the game is either good or bad on a technical level first rather than aesthetic/personal choice second.

FUEL was technically bad.
The average user score on gamespot is around 7.5 for this game and on gametrailers an equal amount of people like it compared to dislike it. This game seems like it's either hit or miss. It was obviously a miss for you. Stop whining about how Tonzie liked it and reviewed it based on what he thought of it (as a reviewer should do) If all reviewers gave the same/similar score in fear of being different, then reviews would be pointless. I like to have multiple insights before purchasing a game from people who tell it like it is.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009   #18
Playstation ZEALOT
And Tonzie doth layeth the Smackdown. Couldn't have explained it better myself.
Old 17-06-2009   #19
Playstation ZEALOT
Two words: Pole Position.
Old 17-06-2009   #20
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
Remember Metroplosmania on PS2? Of course you dont because the reviews sucked so bad that you overlooked it lol. Still one of my favorite games and id give ita 7 or 8 haha.

BTW no NEED to buy a N64, there are so many emulators for it now its not funny lol. Bad Fur Day for the win!
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote