Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 27-01-2010   #1
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
Opinions on George Hotz PS3 hacks

Personally I hope Sony makes the guy pay.
Sony already operates at a loss on each console sold, and now this guy
takes it upon himself to make the tools for compromising the hard work of honest development studios who have supplied me with numerous memorable
moments in my days gaming.

But what about the 360 you may say, fair point but it's install base is currently about 9 million or so units larger than Sony's black box.

The PSP has already fallen outta favor of some developers who are just fed up with how easy it is for their work to be obtained without any compensation for their efforts creating it.

This is all very premature for the time being but the potential of what Hotz
could be unleashing here is pretty disgusting.

How do you guys weigh in on this?
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010   #2
"The New Guy"
Hotz has good intentions in which he says he wants to open the PS3 up to make it more accessible to homebrew, but everyone knows some hacker will produce an iso loader which will fry the PS3 market!!

Has anyone read his recent blogs? He has read/write access to lv0, lv1... but he needs lv2, lv3 to really stir things up. The PS3 has 7 cells 6 of which any hacker can access but the 7th one NO one has access to it, not even game developers not even NAUGHTY DOG!! That 7th cell runs the entire PS3 system on its own!! it reads the HD, runs the necessary codes, and checks that the PS3 is legit! if its not the 7th cell will refuse to function which will result in the PS3 not booting.

He is stuck at this point! he needs smart hackers to help him access the necessary keys cos when he has them, then he can screw Sony over.
genk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010   #3
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
Oh I hope Sony takes this guy down hard, thrown in jail and slapped with a large fine. I don't care how good his "intentions" are, there is no reason why you have to hack the PlayStation 3 as it's obvious once you open the system regardless of your "intentions" the two things that will come guaranteed are piracy and game hacks. I really hope they silence this pathetic person before anyone else gets any further using his methods, I don't want the PlayStation 3 to turn into the PSP.
Old 27-01-2010   #4
PCN Senior
PSN ID: jordan123x
I feel I'd be a hypocrite for this to bother me mean while having 50+ gigs of torrented software on my mac. So ya, this doesn't bother me.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010   #5
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
I don't really know what to think, in a way, I'm like Jordan
but I must agree with X_Racer as well because there is no reason why someone should hack something like a PS3 and we should stop him before he tells everyone else because if he teaches anyone else then people will start using it for bad stuff
Old 27-01-2010   #6
PCN Senior
PSN ID: xEN7xASSASSINx
first its not as big as it actually seems..

i mean for a start he hasnt left ANY software, just files of code he found and he how did what he done, so basically a hacker would have to study all this re-construct it and then find the stuff he didnt find(theres a bunch of root keys etc he never found, he actually only gained access to the hypervisor and ram etc) so technically it hasnt actually been hacked.. only exploited..

also even if some hacker comes along and does this, makes software for piracy.. then its down to the actual game size i mean if you dont have a super fast broadband connection the games are going to take AGES to download..

the only thing i can see coming from this is maybe homebrew and emulators, i cant see piracy becoming a big thing from this..

p.s it only works on 60gb ps3s at a certain firmware, and we all know since sony started selling well was the slims, so again this will reduce it straight away :)

and sony were already reading his blog before he even found the exploit, so chances are the have guys ready to do something about it :)

p.p.s :P

he cant actualy be taken down, as its his hardware he has messed with hes allowed to open it up and do what he wants with it since hes paid for it, and releasing the exploit? again its HIS exploit on his hardware, yes he has released it for people to see but he doesnt condone piracy or anything, so its down to the intentions of the people who download it.. if they make a software from it that can allow piracy thats when it will be illegal, sadly

Last edited by xEN7xASSASSINx; 27-01-2010 at 12:10 PM..
xEN7xASSASSINx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010   #7
"The New Guy"
Geo hut only has knowledge of exploiting things! he wont create any iso loaders or applications. He did this with the iphone, he exploited it but someone created the software to allow people to use other networks.

Same with PSP Ta-088v3 & 3000

Someone found the tiff exploit "Hello world" and davee from mature forums created a HEN... which resulted in an ISO being created by someone else.

If you ask me the PS3 is secure but theyre are people who have time to kill and they will crack it eventually.....
Old 27-01-2010   #8
"The New Guy"
PSN ID: thegiblet75
Did you read the details in hte story posted here?

Wow...that is exceedingly useless for end users - it more opens the door for further investigation.

He needed an FGPA to trigger it!
Wow! Now all he needs is a dev kit to make it usable for everyone else ;-)
giblet75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010   #9
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
Quote:
he cant actualy be taken down, as its his hardware he has messed with hes allowed to open it up and do what he wants with it since hes paid for it, and releasing the exploit?
Actually Sony is allowed to take action if
1 He lets others know how to do it
2 he gets online with a hacked console
3 He uses it to pirate or do "illegal" activity with it.

Its the same reason Hackers/crackers lock out their hard drives and hide IP's etc..whenever they do anything on computers.

And I dont care if he is the one exploiting it with ISO's etc...Its a team business, one guy hacks it, another guy builds the software, both are to blame. Look at how homebrew and all these stupid hacks ruined the PSP beyond belief. The fact is if your FORCED to buy the games you WILL buy the games. If you have that way out of getting it for free, with very few drawbacks, then why buy it?

Now that im serious about going into the industry im completely against this crap, its not needed. The PS3 itself does so many things (something 360 users cant say) why do this? Why not find a way to make emulators or whatever possible without hacking it? Why open the PS3 to virus' and other crap? Why not work WITH Sony and make it more secure?

Makes no sense to me at all.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010   #10
PCN Senior
PSN ID: xEN7xASSASSINx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin S. View Post
Actually Sony is allowed to take action if
1 He lets others know how to do it
2 he gets online with a hacked console
3 He uses it to pirate or do "illegal" activity with it.

Its the same reason Hackers/crackers lock out their hard drives and hide IP's etc..whenever they do anything on computers.

And I dont care if he is the one exploiting it with ISO's etc...Its a team business, one guy hacks it, another guy builds the software, both are to blame. Look at how homebrew and all these stupid hacks ruined the PSP beyond belief. The fact is if your FORCED to buy the games you WILL buy the games. If you have that way out of getting it for free, with very few drawbacks, then why buy it?

Now that im serious about going into the industry im completely against this crap, its not needed. The PS3 itself does so many things (something 360 users cant say) why do this? Why not find a way to make emulators or whatever possible without hacking it? Why open the PS3 to virus' and other crap? Why not work WITH Sony and make it more secure?

Makes no sense to me at all.
you said IF, exactly IF..

but one he isnt 'telling' them how to he has just posted his findings, there is a difference. you cant be done for finding something.. the people who use this to create illegal softwares and the downloaders(with bad/illegal intentions are the ones in the wrong

and two im sure hes said he wont be using his ps3 again anyway, his 'exploit' has stopped now, he wont be doing anymore on it.

and last of all hes totally against piracy..

but on another note talking of homebrew/emulators.. one way sony could fight this i guess would be to maybe release dreamcast games etc to the psn after all? i would say snes, but nintendo wouldnt allow it lol
Old 28-01-2010   #11
"The New Guy"
The guy won?t get sued! What has he got? A couple of euro's... Sony can screw him over if he messes around with the DRM (Digital Rights Management) as for the hack... we won?t get far. IBM and Sony have thought this through. They knew how piracy messed the PSP up, so they go and create a whopping 7 cells!! Yes that?s expensive but it keeps those UNC2, GOD3, HR sales coming in clean...

Look at MS they make a **** console with cheap parts RROD anyone? And they sell it ?100 cheaper than PS3 why? Its cos they haven?t invested that much in security. That 7 cell is a BEAST! I was shocked at how it runs the entire PS3 on its own.. but thats what happens when you pair Sony & IBM together.

MS have Windows to fall back on; Sony has a TV's... TV's vs. Windows? Hmmmmm