Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 05-07-2009   #1
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
sony to get out of hardware market?

i really dont see them getting out of it and it just seems like more hate on the PS3 to me than anything but it is always a possibility. what do you guys think?

here are some links:

http://kotaku.com/218433/ (this one is older but still states the same thing)

http://www.industrygamers.com/galler...exit-hardware/
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009   #2
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
They came off the heels of the best selling console of all time, a bump in the road won't
derail a thus far successful brand, if this was true nintendo would've been gone for quite a while now.
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009   #3
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
I read this a while ago and laughed, even commented there merely saying
"If PS3 having standard sales is so terrible then why is MS still in the running after last generation" and the comment got removed.

I think its funny that people love hating on the PS3 and fail to look at how sales really are doing. sony is making a profit now on each console sold at its current price. They also have very strong software sales and the PSP is doing well too. Let alone the PS2 is still competing for 4th spot in japan with 360...

This isnt Sega or Atari here, the console is selling fine. It had a year of lag and yet its selling strong enough to be compared with the 360.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009   #4
PCN Master
yeah what i never understood was all the hate for the "lack" of sales for the PS3 becuase it is actually selling quicker than the 360 did when it was released and the only reason the 360 has more consoles out is because it came out a year earlier but the real question is how many people that have a PS3 do not play games and just got it for the Blu-ray player.

i really dont see Sony getting out of the Hardware market i mean 1 out of 3 generations NOT coming out on top is no cause for alarm
Old 05-07-2009   #5
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
I think picking up a PS3 strictly for blu-ray use aint the most economical choice a consumer
can make when they got for about $150 these days.

If you are a gamer though its a no brainer in the next evolution of your home theater setup
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009   #6
PCN Master
well yea now it doesnt but back when it was release the PS3 was half of a differnt Blu-ray player. and even then the PS3 is a better player than most that are cheaper than it but i dont know how much of a difference the average person would notice.
Old 06-07-2009   #7
PCN Addict
PSN ID: treDIDDY97
Do any of u guys know any1 that bought a ps3 just for blu ray?

PS3: It only does everything
trediddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #8
PCN Addict
PSN ID: glen421
You've got to be kidding!!! How about Microsoft getting out of the hardware business cause they made a crappy console with over 30% failure rate after launch. Hell, they can't sell the damn thing in Japan. Write an article about how Microsoft is getting killed in the mp3 market. The Zune? Sony currently is the only console manufacturer with 3 platfroms on the market. That's balls in a big way. The Wii needs watered down "fun for the family" (a la ghostbusters & Madden 10) versions of games. Since when did the gaming industry turn into pussies? The only way they can stay in business is to sell to the Jones'? Game developers use to make games for gamers not Moms & Dads. No offense to anybody that's a Mom or a Dad. Boby Kotick just needs to shut his damn mouth, who elected him as the almighty game god. The "next gen" war is just getting started and nobody can declare a winner just yet. Wait till all those Wii owners get a little older and want to play "M"games. Same thing happened when I went from NES&SNES to PS1.

I hope this made sense.
glen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #9
PCN Master
yea glen that made sense and i agree i mean but most of all i dont understand where all the hate from the PS3 is coming i mean it is selling quicker than the 360 and everything the ONLY reason i could see this being valid is that Sony is loosing money in the game division because the PS3 cost so much to produce but they will learn from this and my guess is that the PS4 will use a bluray player as well which will cheapen up the PS4.

JUST A SIDE NOTE: Am i the only one that noticed that each Playstation has used a different disc format? PSone - CD PS2 - DVD PS3 Blu-ray and i almost think it would be sad to see them use blu-ray in the PS4 but i dont see them not using it
Old 06-07-2009   #10
SuperStaff
@Trediddy i dont know people that bought it purely for blu-ray, but i know ALOT of people that bought it because it offered blu-ray. That and i know a couple people that bought it for games but purely use it for blu ray movies now alot more than anything. Kinda like what i did with my psp, never played games always watched movies.

@glen the Zune is an amazing device lol, just want to get that out of the way. As for the rest i agree. I went from Nintendo to PS1 also because i wanted to play better games, Rainbow Six i think is what made me want to make the jump.

@dipchit according to Yahoo, which i think did it just to be bias again, they said MS was making a 100 dollar loss throughout the first year and half on the 360. Its not a 200 dollar profit thanks to dated parts. The PS3 was making a 200- 300 dollar loss per console, and its now even per console sold, still no profit but no more loss.

Also anyone notice the little PlayStation symbol on the front of the console doesnt spin anymore on newer versions? lol. They spin so when you set it up right you turn it and it looks good, now it just stay in the flat position.
Old 06-07-2009   #11
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
I do know one person that bought a PlayStation 3 mainly for Blu-Ray, but he is over 40 years old and later actually asked me about some games that he might enjoy so he could do more with it. But the Zune is no failure, it may not have the market share of the iPod, and never will, but it's a great device that doesn't involve the crapware that Apple thinks is necessary for the iPod and has a lot better features and more of them, like FM Radio, a large screen that isn't plastic and great audio quality with the included headphones and even better with good ones where the iPod's are terrible and even with good headphones it still isn't great, plus Microsoft makes money on each Zune, so how is that a failure. Same with Sony, they aren't losing money on the consoles anymore and making how much off games, accessories, the PlayStation Store and Home, it's profitable for them so why in the world would they leave the market.
Old 06-07-2009   #12
PCN Master
@Dustin
There is so much different views on whether or not Sony making money on the PS3 right now i dont even pay attention i just say Sony will do what they can to make money i mean it has gotten to the point where one person says they make money on all the systems then someone else will say they make money on the 500 version but no the 400 and then someone else says they lose money on all of them so i dont know what do believe any more.

@ X_Racer1
i never really used a Zune at all but everyone that i know that has one LOVES it. and it kinda seems like the Zune is to Ipod as PSP is to DS like both are doing fine but neither will over take the other one that is selling better
Old 06-07-2009   #13
SuperStaff
They made MORE money on the expensive version, but now it profit or equal. The "cheaper" consoles are only saving sony 30 to 60 bucks at the most, hard drives mean nothing they still cost about the same to make no matter the size. They announced a few months ago that they are breaking even on cost per console and profit per console, a slim would only allow more leg room in the price.

As for the Zune im a proud owner of one since it launched. Ill be buying ZUNE HD when it comes out too.
Old 06-07-2009   #14
PCN Master
yea it is pretty much garunteed that when the slim comes out Sony will be making money on it with cheaper smaller parts and stuff and then with blu ray being cheaper to make that helps to