Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > Multi-Platform / PC Chat > Multi-Platform / PC Chat
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 24-11-2010   #1
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
OnLive Rocks.

OnLive has launched and it caught my curious side, I gave it a test run and
I think it is the first step in perhaps a bold new direction when it comes to
PC gaming.

First off the app is tiny, weighing in at only 9MB, it offers a free trial for
everything in the store, I fired up a game of Arkham Asylum to test things
out and I was super impressed.

While the image quality isnt on par with running it natively (It may be because
I am using the "WiFi Beta" vs a wired connection), it is still impressive, heres
a shot of someone else playing splintercell while I hopped in Spectator Mode.

It's still in it's infancy so the selection is currently rather limited, but
I recommend anyone with any interest in PC gaming to give it a shot as it can
only get better, it wont be long before you can play Crysis on your Netbooks.

Last edited by SaintAvi; 24-11-2010 at 11:03 PM..
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010   #2
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
how much is it to download it?
Old 25-11-2010   #3
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
OnLive is a free service to download and test out, the only time you are charged for a thing is if you actually buy the rights to play a full game. In other words, same as Steam, doesn't cost you a cent unless you want a full game. Although the difference is with Steam when you buy a game it's yours, even if Steam went under as long as you had a copy of the game, you could potentially still play it. OnLive on the other hand is cloud based, so when you buy a game you're simply purchasing the rights to stream it off the cloud. If after so many years they go under or think not enough people play the game, they take it off the cloud and you're money is down the toilet as once the game disappears from the cloud you can't play it anymore.
Old 25-11-2010   #4
PCN Master
I wouldnt worry about the game being simply yanked, if they have the infrastructure to
support massive quantities of players I doubt hard disk space should be a problem
Old 26-11-2010   #5
Staff
What's the framerate like over the connection? I've only got a 6mbps download speed, so I don't expect to be getting a good framerate.
Shak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010   #6
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
I don't exactly mind streaming games. I still much rather actually own a physical copy, but its OnLives agreement that keeps me away. I mean it states within like 3 or 4 years they have the right to remove titles. Which can and will happen to the lesser known titles. Like WET, i Love the game, but its not really accepted and already bargain bin title. If i buy it on Onlive, i gurentee an email will go out in like a year stating its getting removed. Where did my 50 dollars go?

That and I still dont understand how online markets are the same price as physical markets. 20 dollars for a movie, 50 dollars for a game? How do you justify these prices....its stupid.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010   #7
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
that's why i don't usually download games much, I don't see the point of paying the same price for a digital copy
Old 29-11-2010   #8
PCN Master
Framerate in my experience has been buttery smooth. I'd say download the app though and try one of the
free trial titles, it doesnt need any CC information or anything to just do that.

As for pricing structure, I agree with you that for the same price I'd prefer a physical copy.
However OnLive does offer 5 day passes, with games becoming increasingly shorter
affairs I think it's completely feasible to buy a $6 5 day pass to play something
thats just got a single player component

Update: heres a vid of what my experience is like, barring mouse sensitivity issues in
the beginning it's all gravy

http://vimeo.com/17307078

Last edited by SaintAvi; 30-11-2010 at 04:31 AM..