Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email
View Poll Results: Do you believe PS3 Slim is real?
Yes 9 81.82%
No 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2009   #1
PCN Addict
PSN ID: glen421
Do you believe the PS3 Slim is real?

I personally do not believe this rumor. I just think it is a little premature to do a slimmed version of console that has already seen numerous revisions already. I also think this sends the wrong impression to gamers as what to get.
glen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #2
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
I do see it being possible because if they can get the console smaller, it signals moving to components that generate less heat and cost less so it might help lead up to a price cut because to make a slim model they will have to cut more components or consolidate more together and make the chips smaller which helps reduce costs as well.
Old 06-07-2009   #3
PCN Senior
PSN ID: jordan123x
I think the rumors are true.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #4
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
i think the slim PS3 would really help sell the system because then the PS3 will be cheaper to produce so in addition a price cut and some people think that the PS3 now is to big. Even though the PS3 is like .25 inches all around bigger than the 360 and that is with out the power brick
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #5
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
Its a matter of "when" not "if". The slim is very real, its up to Sony to market it professionaly and what time is best for profit. I hope the designs we saw already are fake though, those things were uglier than hell.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #6
PCN Master
I don't think it's that bad, what was worse was the original PlayStation 3 controller design before they went with the old DualShock design with a few improvements. Although if they are going slim, why keep the original shape, why not make it more into the shape of the PlayStation 2 Slim or refine the shape so it can lose the George Foreman comparisons.

Old 06-07-2009   #7
PCN Master
i was actually kinda looking forward to the boomerang controller at least it was something different but then again i do kinda like the consistency of the Playstation controllers. i dont see any problems if they want to keep the slim looking like the current PS3 just skinnier. i personally dont like the the tray onthe PS2 slim and the PSone that opens up i like the slide out and now on the PS3 i like the no tray at all
Old 06-07-2009   #8
SuperStaff
I say if your going slim, get rid of the curved look. I dont think it looks that good laying flat if its slim like that. Make it sexy so people that already have PS3's will want it too. I also kinda like the banana controllers lol, looks like they fit in your hands better.
Old 06-07-2009   #9
PCN Master
it would almost be nice if they would make a bigger one for the US because i am assuming that they are small because Japanese hands are smaller (at least that si what i have heard) so make a little bit bigger and the current controller is fine but i just wnated to try something different. but idk i am sure they will make the slim look nice and sexy but i think they will still have the curve on it becuase that is what makes you think PS3 not PS2 or PSone if they made it flat
Old 06-07-2009   #10
MOD
PSN ID: sauberbmw
well looking at the history of the playstation and sony, they released a slim version for both the ps1 and ps2 and psp so a non slim version of the ps3 is stupid. it will also lead to price cuts and better more energy efficient components which in turn will lead to a better ps3 console. i do believe the rumour and believe we could see a slim version for maybe this christmas
Sauberbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #11
PCN Master
but the rumor are that they will come out with the PS3 slim in July i mean that would be cool to see but August woudl be more likely but even then i think some time around Thanksgiving would be the most likely if it is to come out this year
Old 06-07-2009   #12
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
Oh its real alright, all the signs are pointing to it.

The leaked shots featured workstations that looked identical to the original leaked shots of the PS3

The unbelievable bundles are so unbelievable because retailers are looking to unload the classic models to stock the newer ones

The packaging looks to legit to be fake

It will be here, hopefully sooner than later
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #13
PCN Master
oh yea agreed Saint i hope it comes here sooner rather than later but i just dont how realistic July is. and i woudl think that later like around holiday season would be a better time to release a price reduced console
Old 07-07-2009   #14
PCN Addict
PSN ID: treDIDDY97
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Racer1 View Post
I don't think it's that bad, what was worse was the original PlayStation 3 controller design before they went with the old DualShock design with a few improvements. Although if they are going slim, why keep the original shape, why not make it more into the shape of the PlayStation 2 Slim or refine the shape so it can lose the George Foreman comparisons.

when they had pics when the ps3 came out they had black, silver, and white colors wutever happened to having different colors

PS3: It only does everything
trediddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #15
PCN Addict
I would like to know the same thing on the colors. What happened? Also there were supposed to be 2 HDMI ports and 6 USB ports.

Back to the "slim". I still don't buy it. Let me get this straight. You're losing money on a console and sales are not as good as the competition. You just posted a $1 Billion loss for the company. So you go back to R&D and spend more money to redesign the PS3 in an effort to reduce cost and hope you sell more consoles before the holidays in an economy which has nearly 10% unemployment. Just price cut what you have. They are starting to remind me of Sega befor the Dreamcast.

Lets say that Sony is going "slim" with the PS3. What is this going to have 1 USB port no other output but HDMI? Maybe no HDD and go back to PS2 memory cards? Hell why don't they just slap a PS3 logo on a PS2 slim. What do they think we are idiots?

Last edited by glen421; 07-07-2009 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: You guys are going to make me eat crow win that damn thing comes out. I should keep my big mouth shut.
Old 07-07-2009   #16
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
The old specs probably lead to an even more expensive console, it wouldve been armageddon if they announced anything higher than the already rediculous $599 launch price.

They are making a slim because sufficient time has passed to make the hardware cheaper and smaller, theyll save money by using less resources which is as far reaching as using less plastic for the shell to using smaller chips.

And I think you may be overreacting a smidge with your outlook for the slim, the early leaked pics confirm 2 USB's like the current models and I am willing to wager that HDMI and normal component/composite output methods will be back as well, Sony knows we arent idiots and wont put out a crippled console since it would be useless with loads of games and won't sell when word of mouth gets out.

No matter how you slice it the slim is a good direction for Sony to move.
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #17
PCN Addict
I'm not saying the slim is a wrong direction (Eventually it will need to happen just like PS2). I think the timing is just wrong. Basically the PS3 has been out since late 06, might as well say early 07 and they are going to go ahead and slim it down in as little as 2 1/2 years. Microsoft is adding features (like HDMI) and Sony is continually deleting features (memory card reader, 2 USB ports, and less we forget B/C). You don't see Microsoft with "360 lite" rumors and it's been out for almost 4yrs. I just would like to see some consistency in what they are pushing out to the consumers. If they go slim w/PS3 they (Sony) need to add something (faster Blu-Ray drive maybe, maybe wireless N protocol) to show they are moving forward not backwards by removing. I don't see them deleting any features from TV's to sell more.

Just thinking about I start to wonder if my support for Sony will continue. I hope I am wrong about this.
Old 07-07-2009   #18
PCN Master
The memory card readers weren't well used by many, and can be added if you wish with an external reader. The USB ports you get around with a USB hub if it's necessary and you shouldn't have more than two things on USB hooked up unless you're playing Rock Band anyway. Wireless N is still experimental and not even fully standardized yet, that's why everything has to say Draft N and it's not a great speed improvement. A faster Blu-Ray drive does nothing since all important game files are streamed off the HDD already and game developers could never take advantage of it anyway as all the old PS3's would have to be considered. Fine Sony has removed some things, but only because they weren't taken advantage of and are unnecessary things that add to the cost of manufacturing the console, the thing they might bring back is B/C if they get all the kinks worked out and can emulate the both the PS2 Graphics processor and the Emotion Engine and if that patent is anything to go by, it will be sooner than later.
Old 07-07-2009   #19
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
Honestly, I don't really care if they make 1 since I already own 1 but if it means that it will be cheaper, then more people might buy a PS3 and maybe more of my friends will get 1
m0tl3sl4y3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #20
SuperStaff
Quote:
Back to the "slim". I still don't buy it. Let me get this straight. You're losing money on a console and sales are not as good as the competition. You just posted a $1 Billion loss for the company. So you go back to R&D and spend more money to redesign the PS3 in an effort to reduce cost and hope you sell more consoles before the holidays in an economy which has nearly 10% unemployment. Just price cut what you have. They are starting to remind me of Sega befor the Dreamcast.
Thats alot better than the couple billions they lost a few years ago. You just gotta remember Sony is a bigger company that just PlayStation. They just invented Blu-ray are somewhat still coming out of that. They took the route of Plasma instead of LCD for a while and taht whole part of the company went down the drain, so they had to reboot it all as LCD. Let alone they just created some new TV's like Samsungs LED tv's, but have network capabilities yatta yatta, that takes money. Then music industry, then the movie industry etc...Anyone of those fail piles ontop of whatever the PlayStation does, which has been carrying them further than any other section.

Plus they are not taking away features. The PS3 is a powerhouse of features, they are constinatly looking at what people use and dont use. I have the card readers on my console, never used them but one time to show off pictures, so ill gladly give them up. No B/C means less PS2 buyers and more push towards PS3 buyers. The reason you see MS throwing "features" at the 360 is because its lacking features it NEEDS to keep up with the PS3....no HDMI? Come on....Plus just look at E3, Sony had a ton to show off for us the gamers.

Also 360 sales alot because they did just what your afraid sony is doing. Looking at the Xbox Arcade. Had nothing for it at all, they stripped it of all they possibly could and made it cheap. Thats why their sales are doing well, consumers see the cheaper console and snatch it up in a heartbeat not thinking what its missing.

I do somewhat agree on the timing of the slim however. With PS2 they used the slim to reboost sales to what it used to be and gave it a couple more years on its lifespan. With PS3 its still early and your still looking at 5 to 6 years of more battle with the PS3 on shelves. What are they going to use to boost sales later on? Another slim, differnt colors, or the motion controllers?