Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email
View Poll Results: Do you believe PS3 Slim is real?
Yes 9 81.82%
No 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2009   #21
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
Quote:
Originally Posted by glen421 View Post
I'm not saying the slim is a wrong direction (Eventually it will need to happen just like PS2). I think the timing is just wrong. Basically the PS3 has been out since late 06, might as well say early 07 and they are going to go ahead and slim it down in as little as 2 1/2 years. Microsoft is adding features (like HDMI) and Sony is continually deleting features (memory card reader, 2 USB ports, and less we forget B/C). You don't see Microsoft with "360 lite" rumors and it's been out for almost 4yrs. I just would like to see some consistency in what they are pushing out to the consumers. If they go slim w/PS3 they (Sony) need to add something (faster Blu-Ray drive maybe, maybe wireless N protocol) to show they are moving forward not backwards by removing. I don't see them deleting any features from TV's to sell more.

Just thinking about I start to wonder if my support for Sony will continue. I hope I am wrong about this.
I don't see a problem slimming it down now if it addresses the issue that the majority of prospective buyers are raising in terms of price. As for features, they are damned if they do and damned if they dont, had they not removed some things the price wouldve remained higher but removing features garners criticism, Personally I use my card-reader to play movies off SD Cards but I see it as being one of the first places to cut seeing that USB is so versatile,
I have a SDHC USB converter for my PC since it cant read SDHC's and could've used that to adress my neads had I gotten a PS3 without the card reader.
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #22
PCN Addict
PSN ID: glen421
Oh Dustin, and I thought you would agree with me on this. Are you upset about the Zune comment. Let me let you in on a secret I own a Zune as well.

So Sony had plasma then switched to LCD and Microsoft had Vista and is now switching to Windows 7. Both companies have other venues that can cause losses. I understand that but I don't agreee with taking your Flagship device in the early stages and doing a redesign and expecting the world to go to the stores and buy it up. I think it sends a mixed message to the consumer. Sony should stand by the product it put on the streets and quit cutting it's features. Imagine if Ferrari saying you don't need 4 wheels to have good handling so now we just give you 2 wheels. We've seen nothing but revisions to the PS3 to cut costs and it's not really helping. It's time to come up with a better plan. How about instead of Sony spending money to slim down the PS3, Sony should spend that money on advertising the PS3 first. I havent' seen a PS3 commericial in a long time.

When Sony slimmed the PS2 it already sold 10's of millions of consoles and it just seemed a natural progression of the product with slight enhancements. Slimming down the PS3 seems pre-mature and as I said before going in the wrong direction. If Sony wants people to buy the PS3 then stop selling the PS2. That's what MS did and it has paid off for them

Look, as you said the $200 arcade helped MS sell more consoles. If Sony wants to get the PS3 down to $200-$250 (I think we would agree that this is where they will need to be to compete with MS & Wii) Slimming down the plastic and just making it smaller isn't going to get it there. Something has to go. What will it be? And what happens if MS can get the arcade to down around $150.00. What will Sony do then?

If you look at the 360 and all the versions MS offers and then you look at the sales numbers. Oh and don't forget last years big price drop. I think MS has done a better job of managing the product. I really hate to admit that. And if you look at Sony I can't tell where they are at with the PS3 (except last in sales) and where they are going (how many versions are out there?). It just seems they are all over they place trying to find the niche that gets them sales instead of doing what got them there in the first place.

Like I said before I hope I'm wrong and Sony pulls this out.
glen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #23
PCN Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by glen421 View Post
I think it sends a mixed message to the consumer. Sony should stand by the product it put on the streets and quit cutting it's features. Imagine if Ferrari saying you don't need 4 wheels to have good handling so now we just give you 2 wheels. We've seen nothing but revisions to the PS3 to cut costs and it's not really helping. It's time to come up with a better plan. How about instead of Sony spending money to slim down the PS3, Sony should spend that money on advertising the PS3 first. I havent' seen a PS3 commericial in a long time.
On the contrary I think it tells the consumer, hey we are listening to you guys and are doing this for you, we want your business.

They have stood near their product thus far and have staunchly remained 3rd, this more aggressive play is a good start at taking that number 2 spot.

I believe a new $299 price point will do worlds more for the PS3 than commercials.

And remember, no where has it been said that they are stripping more features, until something like that arises you are really haven't a thing to worry about

Last edited by SaintAvi; 07-07-2009 at 03:46 PM..
Old 07-07-2009   #24
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
i do agree that the Slim IF it comes out this year is a few years ahead of where i thought it woudl come out but still it makes sense i mean smaller and fewer internal parts can only help and it will make i cheaper its not that there is less plastic that will make it cheaper but the less parts that are required and look at the PS2 slim that added features. I really dont understand why you think they will take features out when the Slim in released. and i agree with Saint 299 will sell ALOT more consoles than more adds will. as we saw earlier that if the PS3 and the 360 are the same price (Arcade excluded) than the PS3 will sell more consoles on a monthly basis.

Personally i would have them take away feature than add them because if they add features then if you were one of the people that got the system early and supported them then you are getting the shaft but if they take them out then you are happy that you supported them early and if someone is getting a system NOW then they can always get the one with more advanced features
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #25
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
Quote:
So Sony had plasma then switched to LCD and Microsoft had Vista and is now switching to Windows 7. Both companies have other venues that can cause losses. I understand that but I don't agreee with taking your Flagship device in the early stages and doing a redesign and expecting the world to go to the stores and buy it up. I think it sends a mixed message to the consumer. Sony should stand by the product it put on the streets and quit cutting it's features. Imagine if Ferrari saying you don't need 4 wheels to have good handling so now we just give you 2 wheels. We've seen nothing but revisions to the PS3 to cut costs and it's not really helping. It's time to come up with a better plan. How about instead of Sony spending money to slim down the PS3, Sony should spend that money on advertising the PS3 first. I havent' seen a PS3 commericial in a long time.
No not mad about the Zune comment haha.
As for that Vista didn't flop like the plasma TV's did, it also didnt take as much money to produce it. Nor was MS depending souly on Vista being succesful. Zune didn't flop either, its still selling quite well, but ill give you the ZUNE HD in this argument as that will take money. When i was talking about Sony im saying they literlly flopped their stuff. Plasma's are gone, no good, no one wants them, everyone of those Sony produced is now useless their factories are useless etc...They make a movie that flops big time, they do this or that and it all adds up. MS is spending money yes, but at the same time what PC doesnt have vista on it? What PC company wont pay MS to install Vista on their computers?

Quote:
Look, as you said the $200 arcade helped MS sell more consoles. If Sony wants to get the PS3 down to $200-$250 (I think we would agree that this is where they will need to be to compete with MS & Wii) Slimming down the plastic and just making it smaller isn't going to get it there. Something has to go. What will it be? And what happens if MS can get the arcade to down around $150.00. What will Sony do then?
Nothing will go though. I think you afraid sony is making a "budget" console and they really are not. Look at PS2, they didnt take anything out of the slim yet its cheaper. What they do is make smaller internal parts, make it run better internally, slim down the shell, put the new cheaper parts in it including blu ray lenses etc....

Not only that but the main reason people want a slim is for the cheaper price. If they slim it down it cost less to make, therefore they have leverage to drop the price down. We know, Sony know, everyone knows people want a PS3 they just cant afford it. With a slim your still getting that quality at a cheaper price. It brings a new light to the console that will boost it enough to get out of last place within a year. Then since its so early there is no doubt a even slimmer model in the future, they did it with PS1 i believe, had 2 slim models over its lifespan.

BTW i also disagree with cutting out the PS2. If cutting out features is telling the consumers the w rong idea, cutting the PS2 is twice as bad. With PS2 out still your telling consumers "our products last" and "we are here for you" as not everyone wants a next gen system.

I also believe 299 is a price point that is capable of stickin around for a while. If you drop below 250 i think your asking for a new console to be hoenst, thats just too cheap. Thats just the way i look at it anyways. I see MS trying to counter with a 249 price or something just to say they are cheaper, but overall how long are they gonna be happy with that?
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #26
Staff
I think the PS3 Slim is real, but the pictures we have seen so far are not.
Shak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #27
PCN Master
i think if the PS3 gets down to 299 and the 360 drops to 249 or if the PS3 only has a 50 dollar drop and goes to 349 and the 360 is at 299 i think with a 50 dollar difference between the 2 the PS3 will sell better no question and will gain some ground. but i do think that 299 vs 249 the PS3 will sell quicker than the 360 than if the PS3 was at 349. but still if they are both at 299 i dont think they could catch the 360 in a year that is crazy but 2 years definately
Old 07-07-2009   #28
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
Considering PS3 sales per month are equal to if not more some months than the XBOX 360 if there was a price cut of even $50 people would jump on board and the PlayStation 3 would leapfrog the 360 much faster than 2 years, ultimately though I would love to see either the 360 or the PS3 dethrone the Wii, but there's just too many "non-gamers" who fall for the Wii gimmick to allow that to happen, too bad too, I would have paid to see Nintendo sent to level of Sega when their hardware business flopped but the software business stayed alive and went multi-platform, just imagine Mario on the PlayStation 3 or 360 but of course this is all fantasy.

On a separate note, in the transition between models of PlayStation 2 a few things were actually dropped, the first PS2's had Firewire ports and subsequent models didn't, this was phased out in revisions to the fat console since it was never really used except for a few games. The hard drive option was also phased out when the slim PS2 came out, although the first revision did still have the IDE connection on the motherboard but you had to run a cable out the console and set the hard drive on top and it was quickly phased out altogether in the next revision. They also phased out the option to use dial-up Internet on games as the slim PS2 doesn't include a modem option where early PS2 Network Adapters did (later versions phased this out as well) and a few games could actually function online using the modem but again it wasn't well used and was phased out to save on costs, Sony has essentially repeated the same thing with the PlayStation 3.

Last edited by X_Racer1; 07-07-2009 at 08:03 PM..
X_Racer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #29
PCN Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shak View Post
I think the PS3 Slim is real, but the pictures we have seen so far are not.
Think so? I believe we saw what is going to be coming, the pink workstations
are near identical to the pictures of the original ps3 leak, + the cease and
desist letter didnt help sway anyone otherwise either
Old 07-07-2009   #30
PCN Senior
PSN ID: jordan123x
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAvi View Post
Think so? I believe we saw what is going to be coming, the pink workstations
are near identical to the pictures of the original ps3 leak, + the cease and
desist letter didnt help sway anyone otherwise either
Can you post some pics? I'm pretty interested but can't find the pictures/letter.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #31
PCN Master

We can see the 2 halves so far

expect a silver trim similar to what is on current consoles
Old 07-07-2009   #32
PCN Master
each month isnt the 360 selling like 1500-2000 mor consoles? i mean it is close and all but still i dont think there has been a month where the PS3 has won since mid last year? but the first half of last year the PS3 was beating the 360 every month because they were the same price
Old 07-07-2009   #33
PCN Master
Hate to say it but it actually was pretty much trailing the 360 for the most part
Old 07-07-2009   #34
PCN Senior
Awesome hopefully they'll make it as shiny too. That way it will be even more sexy.
Old 07-07-2009   #35
PCN Master
If you are talking about the silver trim, it looks kinda like a matte job from here like the current ps3 :{
Old 07-07-2009   #36
PCN Master
yea there were a few months that the PS3 won in the beginning of 2008 though like jan. through mar. i believe the PS3 then the 360 price cut came and it work out very well ne more and they were losing again but if there is a 50 dollar difference the PS3 will sell alot better
Old 07-07-2009   #37
PCN Senior
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAvi View Post
If you are talking about the silver trim, it looks kinda like a matte job from here like the current ps3 :{
Just the whole console in general lol. It looks pretty dull in those pictures but I imagine they'll fix that. In my opinion the ps3 the the sexiest console to date. It's a little bit fat and looks like a George Forman grill but I'd still do it.
Old 07-07-2009   #38
PCN Master

The leaked classic PS3 images from way back, notice the same work stations
Old 07-07-2009   #39
PCN Master
oh yea but what is with the pink? but i really think they pictures are real why would people go through that much work to fake this
Old 07-07-2009   #40
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
It looks like protective foam, don't want to scratch the systems or get fingerprints on the PS3's finish before it gets in the hands of the lucky gamer who buys it. I remember what mine looked like when it came out of the box, it's nowhere near looking like that now, it doesn't have scratches but it's been dirtied pretty good by fingerprints, since it's been moved around a few times.