Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > General Chat > Design Center
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 24-08-2009   #1
PCN Content Provider
PSN ID: Y2DAZZ
3D Models

During my first year at Uni I made a few 3D models using 3Ds Max at maxium of 2000 tris. And these were the first time I attempted to create Vehicles.

Audi TT - 2008 Edition.

HP562

Cessna CITATION II

M270 MRLS
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009   #2
PCN Addict
PSN ID: AdventOfAnarchy
Pretty good for your first tries. ^^ which one was the hardest to make?

"I am wearing my safety goggles, that is how serious I am about this game."
lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009   #3
Staff
Very good actually, my brother is also a 3DSMax modeler. He doesn't like it when there is limit on the amount of Polys he can use though. Most of his stuff has literally thousands and thousands of polys. But you are using 2000 tris, which is 1000 polys, so very very good.

I'd guess that the car was probably the hardest to model, because you had to texture on the grill and lights, which means you must not have had much polys available. Also did you model the back and the other side which is not visible?
Shak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009   #4
Staff
Here are some examples of my brother's stuff:

Audi R8

Lamborghini Reventon

Both of them are about 300,000 polys, because he modeled the tires and the tread. Without them though, they are probably both about 80,000 polys. He also applied mesh smooth, I had to resize the images because they were rendered in 720p and were too big.
Old 24-08-2009   #5
PCN Content Provider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd View Post
Pretty good for your first tries. ^^ which one was the hardest to make?
Very good actually, my brother is also a 3DSMax modeler. He doesn't like it when there is limit on the amount of Polys he can use though. Most of his stuff has literally thousands and thousands of polys. But you are using 2000 tris, which is 1000 polys, so very very good.

I'd guess that the car was probably the hardest to model, because you had to texture on the grill and lights, which means you must not have had much polys available. Also did you model the back and the other side which is not visible?
Yeah the car was kinda the hardet because of most of the curves, think it took me like three weeks to do, and yeah Shak I have done all the way around although I didn't run out of polys for the grill, that was part of the assignment to texture one bit of the car and I though the grill and lights would be the best.

Everything else was kinda easier after the car as I really learned a lot on modelling a vehicle. Also the easiest vehicles would of been the M270 as it took me 6 hours to fully create the armed truck. With the Boat coming a close second taking me three days to create.

EDIT: Damn Shak... show me up why don't you! lol
Old 24-08-2009   #6
Staff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren View Post
Yeah the car was kinda the hardet because of most of the curves, think it took me like three weeks to do, and yeah Shak I have done all the way around although I didn't run out of polys for the grill, that was part of the assignment to texture one bit of the car and I though the grill and lights would be the best.

Everything else was kinda easier after the car as I really learned a lot on modelling a vehicle. Also the easiest vehicles would of been the M270 as it took me 6 hours to fully create the armed truck. With the Boat coming a close second taking me three days to create.

EDIT: Damn Shak... show me up why don't you! lol
Lol, sorry about that. Just wanted to show that when you don't have a poly limit it actually is easier in some ways. Low poly is always a big pain in the ass. Also it took him about 3 years of 3DSMax experience to be able to model this well.

Last edited by Darren; 24-08-2009 at 09:06 PM..
Old 24-08-2009   #7
PCN Content Provider
Yeah I know it was a bit of a pain when doing the pain and the car, especially for me as I consider myself a perfectionist, so it was quite hard to alter it to make it below the limit. So you're gaffyh?
Old 25-08-2009   #8
Staff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren View Post
Yeah I know it was a bit of a pain when doing the pain and the car, especially for me as I consider myself a perfectionist, so it was quite hard to alter it to make it below the limit. So you're gaffyh?
No that's my brother, although I do use his account some times.
Old 25-08-2009   #9
PCN Content Provider
Ah right cool. Small world, I thought he was American like lol, I guess I know your brother from Gametrailers, my username is Y2DAZZ.
Old 26-08-2009   #10
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
geez you guys are blowing me away lol. The day the PS4 can render 80k poly's per car on a 20 car track is the day we can no longer tell the differnce from real and fake lol. Imagine people and warzones with that many poly's?

Im still learning 3ds, you guys should post tutorials here in the design center.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote