Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 28-08-2009   #1
1337 Sauce
PSN ID: bharat4ever
Linux on PS3

Hi, i require some valuable tips on installing Linux on the PS3...
Firstly, is it a hassle.. I mean, I am not a noob to installing OSes on my pc, but is it tougher on the ps3? If it is a hassle, is it worth the trouble?

Linux comes with mozilla right, can i browse any type of site then? If i insert a usb drive onto my ps3, can i access it using linux?

And guys have any handy site which gives a proper guide to installing linux? All the sited which i searched have gone advanced, and no one gives a nice basic guide to doing it...
bharat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009   #2
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
Well it requires a PC with a CD/DVD burner to burn the Linux Live CD/DVD necessary just to install the operating system onto the PlayStation 3. Also you can only reserve 10GB to Linux so unless all you're going to use Linux for is web browsing or very basic computer tasks it's pretty useless. Also you will need a USB keyboard and mouse, Linux will not work with any PlayStation controller during installation and to use Linux without downloading custom drivers you still need the USB keyboard and mouse. While Firefox is the default browser in Firefox and you technically have no restrictions on that front, the limits imposed by Sony on Linux itself make it rather useless as everything as to be done by the Cell processor, the graphics processor isn't accessible by Linux which just adds to the reasons why it's not even worth it. Also because it's Linux you can plug a USB drive into it but unless Linux has a program to read the file it won't be able to do anything with them, but it will see all the files on the hard drive. Anyway if you're still interested, here's the best guide to installing Linux on a PlayStation 3 that I have found so far.

Last edited by X_Racer1; 28-08-2009 at 02:27 PM..
X_Racer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009   #3
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
Like listed above its kinda pointless. Its more of a for show thing that anything, like "ha i got linux you dont!" type of deal. It is cool for typing up docs and simple things like that but overall no point in bothering. No games, advanced programs, or anything non-basic can be used for it. Plus its rather annoying, it somewhat takes over the XMB.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009   #4
1337 Sauce
PSN ID: bharat4ever
ok guys got your point... skip linux :) i am going back to playing games.
bharat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009   #5
PCN Addict
PSN ID: treDIDDY97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
ok guys got your point... skip linux :) i am going back to playing games.
lol good choice

PS3: It only does everything
trediddy is offline   Reply With Quote