News - Gran Turismo 5

Has Sony Just Won The Holiday Console War?
Posted on August 2, 2009 by Shak

I'm sure a few weeks ago, nobody even anticipated Sony winning the console war this holiday season. Since the Xbox 360's price-cut last August, it has managed to consistently outsell the PlayStation 3 in the European and North American markets, however small the margin may be.

THE PS3 SLIM

The recent (and mounting) rumors however, suggest that a PlayStation 3 Slim is in the works, of which I'm sure many of you have already seen the leaked video. Releasing this alone would allow Sony to increase their PS3 sales dramatically.

THE PRICE-CUT

The widely believed price-cut for the PS3 also seems to be coming. Sony's Executive Vice President Nobuyuki Oneda has stated that the cost of manufacturing the PlayStation 3 has been reduced by 70%. If you combine this statement with the PS3 Slim, the price-cut seems even more likely. The PS3 Slim will have a drastically reduced manufacturing cost because the decrease in size will mean less plastic and components are required.

Everything points to a price-cut happening, and currently the PS3 costs double the price of a standard Xbox 360, yet continues to be outsold by the Xbox 360 by a very small margin. Once the price-cut hits, expect it to have a massive effect, especially in these tough economic times.

THE GAMES

Sony has a stellar line-up this year...worldwide. With Final Fantasy XIII releasing in Japan this year (as well as other highly anticipated RPG titles such as The Last Rebellion, End of Eternity and Trinity Universe) Sony will win Japan's holiday season. This outcome is almost 100% guaranteed, as long as Final Fantasy XIII makes it's 2009 release date, and even if it doesn't, it is looking very likely.

Europe is highly-regarded as a racing game nation, and rumors continue to come in that Gran Turismo 5 will be releasing in 2009. The most recent of which comes directly from GTPlanet, a highly credible source for everything Gran Turismo. Gran Turismo is probably the only Sony IP that can be compared to Microsoft's Halo. GT has sold over 50 million units over the series of games, each game consistently sells around 9 million units, and the majority of sales are in Europe.

If you combine this with the other fantastic PS3 exclusives coming this year, such as Uncharted 2, Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, and many many more, it looks like Sony is set to win this holiday season, especially in Europe and Japan. It also doesn't help Microsoft that their most anticipated Xbox 360 exclusive, Splinter Cell: Conviction, has been delayed to 2010.

Of course there's no mention of the Wii in this equation, whether or not the PS3 Slim, price-cut, or games affect the Wii's momentum is unknown. My guess is it's unlikely that any of these factors will affect the Wii, simply because the audience is completely different. This audience isn't looking to be hardcore gamers, they just want to buy a Wii.

If all the rumors are true however, Sony is definitely in for their best holiday season since the launch of the PS3. Gamescom should be very interesting...

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II Release Confirmed December 1, 2011
 North America Doesn't Hate GT5 February 21, 2011
 Gran Turismo 5 Overtakes Call of Duty: Black Ops November 29, 2010
 Gran Turismo 5 Estimated Sales at 1.8 Million November 27, 2010
 Let Gran Turismo Grow On You November 27, 2010

tkt9900 says:
I've been looking for Sony to gain ground with just the upcoming titles. If there is a price cut I look for Sony to move a lot of systems the rest of this year. I hope so anyway I sick and tired of hearing how the PS3 is supposably failing and that its the downfall of Sony. I know that I've got a winning system and it will win out over 360 in the near future. As for Wii I agree that its in a different class. I have one for my boys and I think its the perfect system for them at there age of 9 and 10. My oldest prefers his games on the PS3 when they are available. I have looked into getting a 360, but I just don't see the hype. A few games that are exclusive, not really system buyers to me. I'll stick to a company that has been reliable since its first console with not one problem. I just don't get why these people flock to play russian roulete with a system that you have to pay to play online and now the have ads and still have to pay.
Posted on Aug 2, 2009 17:20:17
JLR21 says:
if it do happen sony will get alot more consoles movin like tkt9900 said and it will defently catch up with the 360 especially with all its exclusives and the wii by with i heard its sells are goin down meaning its losing its hype due to lack of good games
Posted on Aug 2, 2009 18:10:13
Mih Tsurt says:
For tkt9900 to say that Sony never fails is ridiculous. Sony has drop the ball Just as the other big two have when it comes to certain things such as release dates and yes hardware. although Microsoft more on the hardware side. i find it funny that no one ever mentions that Microsoft extended the warranty to three years instead of a year, give you one month of Xbox Live for free, and a gift if your console has to be repaired. As for Xbox live costing the player, i don't mind. you can get a 13 month card online for around 37 bucks. that is around 3.50 a month. most people waste that on a 20 oz coke and gum. fans boys of other systems also fail to mention that XBOX Live is amazing online, nothing as good as it could ever be free. Don't forget it cost to produce live services, even for Sony. i seriously doubt that releasing a PS3 Slim edition is going to help Sony move games. the numbers show that the average PS3 owner only has 2.3-2.5 games, the average Xbox360 owner has around 8. there is no way that a redesigned console could make this gap significantly smaller regardless of system exclusives. Despite this i do believe the price drop and redesign is a step in the right direction for Sony.
Posted on Aug 3, 2009 08:33:40
Thorstein says:
Sony also needs a good ad campaign that plays up all the things that are fantastic about the system. (Have you seen Pirates of the Caribbean in Blu Ray?) And RROD? Can't happen because a Blu Ray doesn't scratch. I don't know why that isn't at least mentioned once every ad.
Posted on Aug 3, 2009 08:36:28
Thorstein says:
Mih, Which costs more? My PS3 was 499 WITH MGS4. Xbox 360 was 299. However, to get all that I have, I need a wireless adapter: $77. A year to XBL $44. A controller 37.99. And Halo $59. That is a total of $516.99... 516.99>499. The only reason X360 is doing that well is because of the base price. When people find out they have to buy all the extra (after the fact) then it is too late. When has the Sony business model failed? Seriously? OK, in a crap worldwide economy they are selling a million PS3s a Quarter and a million PS2s a Quarter. I fail (pun intended) to see how that is failing. Those are good sales compared to last gen systems and with three systems on the market... I have the Wii. It also needed nothing extra to get online and play or get games dloaded.
Posted on Aug 3, 2009 08:49:22
tkt9900 says:
Mih Tsurt, I never said that Sony doesn't fail. I said that I have had their product for years without a single product. Yes there have been a few let downs. And yes there have been reports of the a few system malfunctions. But I don't turn on my system, praying and hoping it doesn't fail as I have heard many times from people that on it. I really don't care how cheap it is to pay for the online it’s not free. BTW they had to move it to 3 yrs because they had a system that was very likely to fail in that time and they wanted to sell systems. Would you buy one with a 90 warranty that you knew was likely to fail at anytime?
Posted on Aug 3, 2009 08:59:55
SleepyG says:
@Thorstein Your logic fails completely and I'll explain why. A PS3 with MGS4 is $399 + $60=$450. Xbox 360 with Halo 3 is $199+$60=$250. You can get a year of Xbox Live for $30 if you look around. That translates to about $2.50 a month. If you can't afford that, you shouldn't be gaming. You don't need a wireless adapter, and why would you even add the cost of a controller into the equation for the Xbox, and not the PS3? The Xbox comes with a controller dude. So, in theory: PS3 with MGS4 = $450 Xbox with Halo 3 and 1 year of LIVE = $280 That's a $170 difference in favor of the Xbox. You lose buddy. Anyway, this article is such a fail on so many levels that I can't even describe. This is pure biased speculation coming from a PS3 site for God's sake! You have no credibility whatsover. There's a reason why respected gaming sites such as Gamespot, IGN, and 1up don't write this kind of garbage, it's because they want to be taken seriously not looked down upon in the gaming community. Seriously, get some game news or get out of the business of gaming.
Posted on Aug 3, 2009 20:07:16
Thorstein says:
@SLEEPY As I said, MINE cost that much with MGS4, bundled. I bought the MGS4 version. Why wouldn't I want wifi to connect to the internet? I am comparing the two, so, to give the 360 the same things as my PS3, it needs be added. You didn't read me correctly. At the same time (when it came out) the price of the Xbox et al was what I stated. To sell 2 million consoles (PS2+PS3) a quarter isn't failing. That is what I object to. I think MS did a smart thing by just offering the basic console without the "add ons." Those that didn't know weren't too happy. I think Sony should have sold theirs as the "complete package." And downplayed MS efforts to push the price. BTW This is op ed, (I never see any real news anymore.)
Posted on Aug 4, 2009 15:16:23