Jay Fitzloff, Associate Producer on Darksiders II at Vigil Games has detailed some of the new features in the sequel, and gamers will be happy to know that this is more than just the same game with a new story.
The new features you'll see are:
Addition of loot - currency and items dropped from enemies:
- Tons of weapons and items, each item and weapon has a level and different stats associated with them.
- Can combine items, armor and weapons to upgrade "Possessed" weapons and armor in terms of level and abilities.
- Weapons can also have elemental qualities.
- Can sell and buy potions at vendors.
- Each skill has three levels to make them more powerful.
- Harbinger and Necromancer skill trees. Harbinger = Melee-based, Necromancer = Magic-based.
Leveling is also available for Death:
- Levels are pre-requisites for some skills.
- You must use collected currency to buy combat moves as well.
So it seems that he developers have taken some ideas from games like Diablo and Borderlands, and added RPG elements to a greater extent than the first game.